What are the subject requirements for Law in uni
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by efeoghenemena)
What are the subject requirements for Law in uni
To my knowledge, they don't usuallty ask for specific subjects for law. You should check the entry requirements for the universities you intend to apply to though.

I think the departments tend to value high grades, so pick the subjects where you would think you would get high grades in. You can do 3 of the hardest A Levels that have no relation to law and still get in with high grades, good LNAT (where applicable), and a good personal statement.
If there is any preference, it would be one or two A Levels in essay based subjects because you will be doing a lot of essays and reading.
something_orphic
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Th e best thing to do is look at a bunch of unis you may be interested in. There may be a list of preferred subjects on their site (although not always) and they may ask as a preference for you to have 1 or 2 from their list. If you didn't take their preferred subjects it would not rule you out but you wouldn't have the best chances at getting in so its a good idea to look at them.

You want relatively strong A levels as a general rule for law. I would also suggest doing some research online as there are a bunch of advice articles on picking your A levels for law and what previous students have picked etc.. although obviously you want to pick subjects that you are enjoy so that you are likely to achieve high grades.

I agree with above you definitely want to be looking at essay based subjects. Good subjects for law tend to be subjects like History and English Lit (these are pretty common subjects to take for law although by all means you dont have to choose them). Your A level subjects are not going to make or break your application really. Obviously taking something like media is not the wisest of ideas for law but it will be your whole application (extracurriculars, work experience, LNAT scores etc..) that is looked at. Do your research and make sure you have at least one essay based subject and relatively strong A levels would be my advice.
efeoghenemena
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by MindMax2000)
To my knowledge, they don't usuallty ask for specific subjects for law. You should check the entry requirements for the universities you intend to apply to though.

I think the departments tend to value high grades, so pick the subjects where you would think you would get high grades in. You can do 3 of the hardest A Levels that have no relation to law and still get in with high grades, good LNAT (where applicable), and a good personal statement.
If there is any preference, it would be one or two A Levels in essay based subjects because you will be doing a lot of essays and reading.
Thank you. Would you suggest a level politics or religious studies
something_orphic
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I would say either are good choices tbh. Obviously politics tie into it more. I think History + Politics would be a good combo if you want to consider that. Or English Lit+ religious studies.
MindMax2000
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I agree with something_orphic. Either would be fine, so long you get good grades in them.

From what I've heard, law students are saying law at A Level is different to that at degree level, so they think the A Level in law didn't actually helped, ironically.
efeoghenemena
Rep:
?
I'm considering law + history + politics + religious studies / textiles . Thinking of dropping law for religious studies, what do you think? I have read articles saying a level law has a bad rep. Do you do a level law?
Lovebenedict
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I'm considering law + history + politics + religious studies / textiles . Thinking of dropping law for religious studies, what do you think? I have read articles saying a level law has a bad rep. Do you do a level law?
Unis don’t care abt a level law... it’s a good idea to drop it if ur interested in smth else (but u should definitely do it if ur interested!)
efeoghenemena
Rep:
?
I agree with something_orphic. Either would be fine, so long you get good grades in them.

From what I've heard, law students are saying law at A Level is different to that at degree level, so they think the A Level in law didn't actually helped, ironically.
Thank you this is really helpful. And I don't intend to practice law, I want to teach humanities related subjects.
something_orphic
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Yeah i agree with the law A Level. I have heard that A level law is rly boring and personally i wouldn't take it. There used to be a myth that law A level actually made your application look worse for law which has now been debunked. However, there are definitely better subjects for law that you could take instead so it is kinda of true. I hope that makes sense.
efeoghenemena
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lovebenedict)
Unis don’t care abt a level law... it’s a good idea to drop it if ur interested in smth else (but u should definitely do it if ur interested!)
I'm not really interested. Its because the college Im going to doesn't offer A level criminology so I picked law
Lovebenedict
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I'm not really interested. Its because the college Im going to doesn't offer A level criminology so I picked law
Yh in that case don’t do a level law there’s no benefits to doing it
something_orphic
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
The only thing i have to say is that textiles does not rly go with the rest of your subjects. Doing coursework + non coursework subjects is not actually the best idea. I know a few friends who do textiles + essay based subjects and its basically a nightmare come exam + coursework submission time. Religious studies definitely goes better.

The only other thing i would say is that doing 4 A levels is going to be seriously hard especially when there isn't much overlap. Unless this is something you are really passionate about and you have a good previous academic record i would advise not doing 4 A levels. Doing work experience and extracurriculars are going to be benefit you a lot more than 4 A levels. If you do end up doing 4 A levels and it becomes too difficult at any point then drop one don't continue on, its not worth it.

Feel free to do whatever you think works best for you. These are just some consideration points that i think you should think about if you haven't already.
efeoghenemena
Rep:
?
Yh in that case don’t do a level law there’s no benefits to doing it
thank you. Although I have already applied, for taster day or interview I'll change it. I can do that right?
Lovebenedict
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
thank you. Although I have already applied, for taster day or interview I'll change it. I can do that right?
Depends on how fussy ur school is... but I’d be seriously surprised if u couldn’t
something_orphic
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yes you can change up until a few weeks into starting A levels i think (different colleges/sixth forms have different cut off points but normally its up until 2/3 weeks in at least). You can definitely change it at the interview or taster day.
efeoghenemena
Rep:
?
Depends on how fussy ur school is... but I’d be seriously surprised if u couldn’t
oh wow what have I gotten into... I'd email tomorrow to ask. Teachers didn't give enough guidance before telling us to apply. I'd be extra pissed If I couldn't change
efeoghenemena
Rep:
?
(Original post by something_orphic)
Yes you can change up until a few weeks into starting A levels i think (different colleges/sixth forms have different cut off points but normally its up until 2/3 weeks in at least). You can definitely change it at the interview or taster day.
Thank you
Lovebenedict
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
oh wow what have I gotten into... I'd email tomorrow to ask. Teachers didn't give enough guidance before telling us to apply. I'd be extra pissed If I couldn't change
I mean at my school people were allowed to switch subjects within the first month of yr 12 😂
Dw it’s not that deep
something_orphic
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I mean at my school people were allowed to switch subjects within the first month of yr 12 😂
Dw it’s not that deep
Yea i think my college it was within the first month and ik this girl moved colleges so it was like 2 months in or something and wanted to change and she was able to with extra support.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (20)
16.95%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (37)
31.36%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
10.17%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
11.02%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.24%
I think it's an unfair expectation (29)
24.58%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.69%

Watched Threads