The Student Room Group

Growing up black

All my black ppl gather here...
What was your experience growing up black or in an African household especially in the UK???
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chelsea.uri
What was your experience growing up black especially in the UK???

Well first I was a child, then a teenager, and now I'm 6'3 so I'd say I grew up well. What about you?
Original post by Hosen410
Well first I was a child, then a teenager, and now I'm 6'3 so I'd say I grew up well. What about you?

Did you read the question properly lol
I’m talking about growing up in an African household
Did you read the question properly lol
I’m talking about growing up in an African household

Not all black people are African you know! But yes I read the question carefully and I grew up normally in my household, I am now 6'3 but I don't think I will be growing anymore. Do you think I could make it to the NBA?
Not all black people are African you know! But yes I read the question carefully and I grew up normally in my household, I am now 6'3 but I don't think I will be growing anymore. Do you think I could make it to the NBA?

I know! I never said that pls read the question again lol
Sure try your best innit
Where are you from?

Btw most black ppl originate from Africa x
Reply 5
Naaah too short for NBA, sorry.
Original post by spanker
Naaah too short for NBA, sorry.

Um do you know him
Please answer my question btw
I know! I never said that pls read the question again lol
Sure try your best innit
Where are you from?

I am Nigerian 🇳🇬
Yea wayyy too short, maybe if u grow up black you'll be tall enough
I am Nigerian 🇳🇬

Really ayeee my bro or sis?
Pm me
Well I had people treating me differently cause of my skin colour and people calling me the n word as a child. The food was nice. I grew up in an abusive environment and it has nothing to do with being African or not because there are plenty of healthy and stable african families.
It’s nice to know more than one language too
Original post by No_Censor xxxx
Yea wayyy too short, maybe if u grow up black you'll be tall enough

Did he ask you? Gosh
Did he ask you? Gosh

goshy gosh gosh
Original post by Moonlight rain
Well I had people treating me differently cause of my skin colour and people calling me the n word as a child. The food was nice. I grew up in an abusive environment and it has nothing to do with being African or not because there are plenty of healthy and stable african families.
It’s nice to know more than one language too

I experienced micro aggressions but not direct racism. Or maybe I have but can’t remember? The food is bangingggg. My family isn’t perfect either but no ones is
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by No_Censor xxxx
goshy gosh gosh

Just joking lol
I want everyone to get along on this thread xx
What was your experience growing up black or in an African household especially in the UK???

Hey thankfully I live in London and in my school white people were the minority tbh and they would try so hard to act black. I remember one boy permed his hair curly to fit in and the group of boys still didn’t like him so he’s now anti black because of his fragile ego. Overall im so happy to have grown up black and in an African household. My family is good vibes thankfully, and less strict. The food bangs, the music and culture is elite ! Our race and ethnicity holds so much history and power and whenever you experience racism just remember that ! Remind the racists that they actually scientifically come from black people so they can stfu.
Don’t reply to trolls so that this thread doesn’t close down.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Ohnourlp
Hey thankfully I live in London and in my school white people were the minority tbh and they would try so hard to act black. I remember one boy permed his hair curly to fit in and the group of boys still didn’t like him so he’s now anti black because of his fragile ego. Overall im so happy to have grown up black and in an African household. My family is good vibes thankfully, and less strict. The food bangs, the music and culture is elite ! Our race and ethnicity holds so much history and power and whenever you experience racism just remember that ! Remind the racists that they actually scientifically come from black people so they can stfu.

*clapping emoji*
Thanks for sharing
Original post by Moonlight rain
racists ruin everything

Lkrrr
I need to revise for my exam so can you be my PA or something loool
If anyone says anything rude, racist or offensive please swat them away then report xxx
LOOOOL woiii
I'm tired of racist ppl and of school loool
Racism isn't a joke
Please don't come and fight here

Omo I'm the only black girl in year 11/10 its really hard. School is tiring too. Sorry you had to go through that when you were just making a safe place for black people

Quick Reply

Latest