The Student Room Group

Trying to get UK rates as an American living in the UK

Hello, my son has offers form a uni in Scotland and one in England for September. He is American with no other nationality and will have been a legal resident in the UK for two years, (not three) at the time he is due to start uni. We will be here for the foreseeable future and in three years will be eligible to establish permanent UK residency, but are now here on my work visa. I am just wondering if there is any way to convince the university to grant us UK status or some intermediate status to avoid being treated as overseas students when we live in U.K. Do they have any leeway? If so, what is the best way to make a case for lower fees? Thanks
Original post by Abdinuk
Hello, my son has offers form a uni in Scotland and one in England for September. He is American with no other nationality and will have been a legal resident in the UK for two years, (not three) at the time he is due to start uni. We will be here for the foreseeable future and in three years will be eligible to establish permanent UK residency, but are now here on my work visa. I am just wondering if there is any way to convince the university to grant us UK status or some intermediate status to avoid being treated as overseas students when we live in U.K. Do they have any leeway? If so, what is the best way to make a case for lower fees? Thanks

Not as far as I know - there are some, limited exceptions to the residency requirement, but you don't appear to qualify. I paid international fees for my British son, so I know the financial pain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending