Rocking All Over The World (RAOTW).

Watch
Lwexi12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Have you ever given much thought to how much damage we do to our planet? Have you ever given other humans consideration? Littering, driving, and even fishing it ruining our small planet. Time to change our ways for the better.
Why you may ask?
There are three basic reasons why we need an emergency response:

1. Extreme weather events, driven by human-forced global warming, are now much more frequent and are reaching levels of unacceptable impact.

2. Key climate-stabilising systems are starting to fail. A tipping point in the Arctic has been reached that, unless urgently reversed, will cause the release of huge quantities of carbon dioxide and high-impact methane. This will push global warming beyond the point where human and other species can cope through adaptation. Floods, storms, heatwaves, fires and droughts will be too severe to maintain the food supply for thousands of millions of people. And the economy will shrink massively for those who do survive.

3. Greenhouse gases are already too high. The last time the world had 400 ppm CO2 in the atmosphere, which is what we have now, the sea level was 20 metres higher and 3 degrees warmer than now. Even if we could freeze greenhouse gases at current levels the impact of 20 metre sea level rise and increased temperatures are unacceptable.

How can you help?
-Reduce, reuse, and recycle. Cut down on what you throw away. Follow the three "R's" to conserve natural resources and landfill space.
-Volunteer. Volunteer for cleanups in your community. You can get involved in protecting your watershed, too.
-Educate. When you further your own education, you can help others understand the importance and value of our natural resources.
-Conserve water. The less water you use, the less runoff and wastewater that eventually end up in the ocean.
-Choose sustainable. Learn how to make smart seafood choices at www.fishwatch.gov.] www.fishwatch.gov.[/url]
-Shop wisely. Buy less plastic and bring a reusable shopping bag.
-Use long-lasting light bulbs. Energy efficient light bulbs reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Also flip the light switch off when you leave the room!
-Plant a tree. Trees provide food and oxygen. They help save energy, clean the air, and help combat climate change.
-Don't send chemicals into our waterways. Choose non-toxic chemicals in the home and office.
-Bike more. Drive less.

We can do this together
Last edited by Lwexi12; 4 weeks ago
RAOTW
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Omg! Thank you so much for doing this. It is vital we get this message across. Do not forget to tag everyone you know (advice for all).
Unofficial_Biker
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lwexi12)
Have you ever given much thought to how much damage we do to our planet? Have you ever given other humans consideration? Littering, driving, and even fishing it ruining our small planet. Time to change our ways for the better.
Why you may ask?
There are three basic reasons why we need an emergency response:

1. Extreme weather events, driven by human-forced global warming, are now much more frequent and are reaching levels of unacceptable impact.

2. Key climate-stabilising systems are starting to fail. A tipping point in the Arctic has been reached that, unless urgently reversed, will cause the release of huge quantities of carbon dioxide and high-impact methane. This will push global warming beyond the point where human and other species can cope through adaptation. Floods, storms, heatwaves, fires and droughts will be too severe to maintain the food supply for thousands of millions of people. And the economy will shrink massively for those who do survive.

3. Greenhouse gases are already too high. The last time the world had 400 ppm CO2 in the atmosphere, which is what we have now, the sea level was 20 metres higher and 3 degrees warmer than now. Even if we could freeze greenhouse gases at current levels the impact of 20 metre sea level rise and increased temperatures are unacceptable.

How can you help?
-Reduce, reuse, and recycle. Cut down on what you throw away. Follow the three "R's" to conserve natural resources and landfill space.
-Volunteer. Volunteer for cleanups in your community. You can get involved in protecting your watershed, too.
-Educate. When you further your own education, you can help others understand the importance and value of our natural resources.
-Conserve water. The less water you use, the less runoff and wastewater that eventually end up in the ocean.
-Choose sustainable. Learn how to make smart seafood choices at ]www.fishwatch.gov.] www.fishwatch.gov.[/url]
-Shop wisely. Buy less plastic and bring a reusable shopping bag.
-Use long-lasting light bulbs. Energy efficient light bulbs reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Also flip the light switch off when you leave the room!
-Plant a tree. Trees provide food and oxygen. They help save energy, clean the air, and help combat climate change.
-Don't send chemicals into our waterways. Choose non-toxic chemicals in the home and office.
-Bike more. Drive less.

We can do this together
Im a Biker
Spoiler:
Show
Unofficially that is XD
Lwexi12
Rep:
?
spanker iamthicccccc1405 CaptainDuckie the_pharaoh ANM775 Agashii_ JAckieee.chan black tea Arthur_Morgan chelsea.uri Katya_93 candydiva Dell PC 2 Hellohsjakodsmka noturhabibti HS_1 Vapordave
Unofficial_Biker Gaddafi ItsStarLordManKrisisCielReviseSleepingnm12345kittyfifi123456AestheticStudyingDiddyDecAmin7sunny.side.up
Last edited by Lwexi12; 4 weeks ago
iamthicccccc1405
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What do you want me to change the world for? It's already perfect since i'm in it, love
Lwexi12
Rep:
?
(Original post by iamthicccccc1405)
What do you want me to change the world for? It's already perfect since i'm in it, love
Hahahha that actually made me laugh hahah
iamthicccccc1405
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lwexi12)
Hahahha that actually made me laugh hahah
I'm a funny person
Vapordave
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is great, thanks for tagging me. However:
Placing the full burden of climate change onto us normal people is a deliberate effort by the fossil fuels industry to deflect blame. In addition to what you said, we must continue to put pressure through our governments on them if we want to make a real impact.
Unofficial_Biker
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Vapordave)
Placing the full burden of climate change onto us normal people is a deliberate effort by the fossil fuels industry to deflect blame. In addition to what you said, we must continue to put pressure through our governments on them if we want to make a real impact.
I dont really blame the industries although they play a huge role in it all,I mainly blame the government. They pass and decline things and order things just as a president or emperor, etc, would
Gaddafi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Good post and thanks for the tag.

We will probably be worm food by the time the environment becomes an existential threat (well I will anyway.) I do not intend on making changes in my personal life for an issue that I will not face and is not of my causing.

I've planted (fruit) trees before and I would do so again, but that was more out of charity and not for the environment.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks for the tag. I already do all those things, bar planting a tree.
Gaddafi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Vapordave)
I used to hold exactly this view that you have now, but I'm not sure if it's the correct one anymore.

Fossil fuels are cheap and they provide us with relatively low cost energy. Switching to other forms of energy does nothing but make electricity more expensive - this decreases the quality of life for many of the poor (both in this country and around the world.)

I think it's worthwhile in using them whilst they last (if we take up burning and converting coal again that's another ~100 years.)
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The best possible thing you can do for the environment is not have children, in fact it is estimated that having just one child is equivalent to 58.6 tonnes of carbon emissions.

To put that into perspective.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...fewer-children
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
The best possible thing you can do for the environment is not have children, in fact it is estimated that having just one child is equivalent to 58.6 tonnes of carbon emissions.

To put that into perspective.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...fewer-children
Phew, glad I'm making the right choice :lol:
ItsStarLordMan
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much for tagging me!! This is brilliant!!!:heart:
ItsStarLordMan
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Have you ever been on Terracycle? They do recycling programmes for things that don't normally get recycled. They have cllection points for items, such as crisp packets, stationary, etc. They give rewards to the collection points. For example, if a school collected crisp packets, they might get some money to help pay for their facilities. It's really cool and helps to reduce your waste.
nm12345
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm planting trees in my back garden guysssssss
Unofficial_Biker
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nm12345)
I'm planting trees in my back garden guysssssss
Thats great. Have fun!
the_pharaoh
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Woooooooooooooooow Lexi tagged me? 🤗

I am so honoured what have I done to deserve this?
nm12345
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by the_pharaoh)
Woooooooooooooooow Lexi tagged me? 🤗

I am so honoured what have I done to deserve this?
My thoughts exactly :lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (134)
4.92%
Uncertainty around my education (403)
14.81%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (303)
11.13%
Lack of purpose or motivation (381)
14%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (124)
4.56%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (165)
6.06%
Loneliness (233)
8.56%
Financial worries (100)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (110)
4.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (125)
4.59%
Lack of real life entertainment (144)
5.29%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (239)
8.78%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (261)
9.59%

Watched Threads