Failing a module in first year

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Basically I am very, very far behind in a module and it is due very soon and I have absolutely no hope of completing it in time, for various reasons. As such I am realistically going to fail the module.

Anyone knows what’s going to happen when I do?

What is the normal procedure when you fail a module in year 1?
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
lots of first year courses place no weight the outcome. if that is your case then you usually only need to score a pass mark (40%) on average, as well as a pass mark in all of your required modules - so if this is an optional module there may well be no issue failing it

it will appear on your academic record which is an issue if you want to do further study but that is it

all of this information is dependent on your department though so check it out
Anonymous #1
(Original post by HoldThisL)
lots of first year courses place no weight the outcome. if that is your case then you usually only need to score a pass mark (40%) on average, as well as a pass mark in all of your required modules - so if this is an optional module there may well be no issue failing it

it will appear on your academic record which is an issue if you want to do further study but that is it

all of this information is dependent on your department though so check it out
I have no optional modules on my course. I have four compulsory modules and that’s it.
HoldThisL
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have no optional modules on my course. I have four compulsory modules and that’s it.
then you usually have to retake it for a pass mark before proceeding to year 2
Anonymous #1
Okay, thanks
BioKnowsBest11
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Basically I am very, very far behind in a module and it is due very soon and I have absolutely no hope of completing it in time, for various reasons. As such I am realistically going to fail the module.

At my university you can fail a non-core module and not retake it, but you do always have the option to retake the final exam to get a better grade. Overall failing a module in first year does not go towards your end grade for your degree, but without the knowledge from that module some concepts in second year might be a bit harder
Anonymous #1
(Original post by BioKnowsBest11)
At my university you can fail a non-core module and not retake it, but you do always have the option to retake the final exam to get a better grade. Overall failing a module in first year does not go towards your end grade for your degree, but without the knowledge from that module some concepts in second year might be a bit harder
We do not have optional modules. We have four modules and all of them are core and they are all 100% coursework/essay
BioKnowsBest11
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
We do not have optional modules. We have four modules and all of them are core and they are all 100% coursework/essay
Is there a chance for a resit?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Hello,

I would really recommend that you email your personal tutor to explain how you are feeling in your situation. They will be able to suggest lots of different options to help you.

You can also ask about the specifics for your course about how your year will be marked, as it will differ at each university and for each course.
For me, I had to pass every module, even if I scored just on the pass mark. However, for me, in my first and second year at uni, the lowest scoring module was removed and then the overall grade for the year was the average from the remaining five modules. This may be the case for you where your lowest scoring module is removed from your average.

Sam- Official Student Rep
username5699186
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why are you so far behind ?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Once I get my results but I am not sure how a result will work
(Original post by username5699186)
Procrastinating and laziness maybe depression idk
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by username5699186)
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hello,

I would really recommend that you email your personal tutor to explain how you are feeling in your situation. They will be able to suggest lots of different options to help you.

You can also ask about the specifics for your course about how your year will be marked, as it will differ at each university and for each course.
For me, I had to pass every module, even if I scored just on the pass mark. However, for me, in my first and second year at uni, the lowest scoring module was removed and then the overall grade for the year was the average from the remaining five modules. This may be the case for you where your lowest scoring module is removed from your average.

Sam- Official Student Rep
So basically I ****ed up and I managed to submit late by accident as I was working on it so last minute. No idea what’s going to happen now, they might fail me
HoldThisL
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So basically I ****ed up and I managed to submit late by accident as I was working on it so last minute. No idea what’s going to happen now, they might fail me
late submission penalty. check your department
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
late submission penalty. check your department
I managed to get it in on time, thankfully so it should all be good, thanks everyone!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (140)
4.8%
Uncertainty around my education (428)
14.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (327)
11.22%
Lack of purpose or motivation (408)
14%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (133)
4.56%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (177)
6.07%
Loneliness (250)
8.58%
Financial worries (108)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (119)
4.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (133)
4.56%
Lack of real life entertainment (157)
5.39%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (259)
8.89%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (276)
9.47%

Watched Threads