Turn on thread page Beta

What a contrast watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was watching the news this morning as saw an item about places in the North of England which don't have any water. The water board were getting truck fulls of the stuff and people could come and collect it, or if they couldn't it would be delivered. The reporter was giving the water board man a bit of stick about how long it was taking to get it fixed and demanded to know how much his staff were working - through the night was the answer. Floods has wahsed the main away - there was also a back up that had been lost.
    Now the point is that people in the world have no running water at all and in areas affected by the tsunami they are still waiting to get clean supplies and here we are in the uK moaning about the fact that we can't - wait for it - have a shower for a few days!!
    I thoguht that such differences are very immence and the contrast has just struck me. It is a bit like when I was comming into London on the train and was moaning that there was no complimentary tea in first class and getting ready to make a complaint. Then I looked out and saw the horrible area arround King's Cross - and the contrast was there again.
    It's a funny old world.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, you've made a good point.

ReputationRep:
    oh my god i cant believe it!!! some people are so insensitive. i just cant believe they didnt give you complementary tea!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamieholmear)
    oh my god i cant believe it!!! some people are so insensitive. i just cant believe they didnt give you complementary tea!
    That's not the point I was making. I soon forgot about the tea when I saw the high rise blocks and the poverty. They should have given the tea - I had paid for it. That was a bad trip - the unit was in poor condition and there was no water in the toilet handbasin either.

ReputationRep:
    What makes you so enthusiastic about things rail, serious question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Raphael~)
    What makes you so enthusiastic about things rail, serious question?
    Not sure how it's revelvant to this post but,
    1. An example of privitisation that many say has failed - why?
    2. A huge organisation that is in decline
    3. A resource that needs more exploitation- environmentally it is very good.
    4. The sheer power of a locomotive- 1 can move 20+ loaded trucks of coal!!
    5. Speed not great in the UK, but 186mph ain't bad
    6. The names of this: flanges, double heading etc. get a laugh
    7. The complecity of a signalling IECC

That do for starters?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.