Is anyone here furious about how the UK government decided to cut UKRI funding to 1/3

Watch
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I understand that during a panedemic, the economic viability to maintain funding for research can be difficult, but to cut things to 1/3 is insulting.

For one, many of these people worked hard to get their PhDs (especially when they had to compete amongst so many people), and many of them are already severely underpaid (borderline minimum wage) with long hours. Considering a good portion of those helped with life science research, I consider this to be insulting to those who helped ease Covid or help find a vaccine for it.

To me, it also doesn't make sense because it not only can set the country back decades in innovation and research, but also it deters further research to deter potential outbreaks and future pandemics i.e. relieve unnecessary stress on the NHS.

Whilst I don't know everything behind closed doors or the full story, I can't agree with the way things are done. Does anyone have further insight on this?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nope, not bothered.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not really.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd be offended if they cut R&D research generally but i see little issue with merely cutting a single departments budget for it. Especially when plenty of others do it as well.
Equally, such funding does not exist solely to keep students occupied. There are better things to put money to than someone's PhD after all.
History98
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My understanding is that only the ODA element of UKRI's budget is being cut by a third (£120m), the rest of UKRIs budget of £7.9 billion or so is not being cut.
barnet1471
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No further insight, no awareness, but quite frankly no surprise from a government that is financially illiterate.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by barnet1471)
No further insight, no awareness, but quite frankly no surprise from a government that is financially illiterate.
Too right. Furlough was a bloody idiotic invention.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Would be inclined to be pissed off it was true. But, so far as I can see, this is entirely made-up.

There are some cuts as a result of cut to international aid, which is purposed to research. But aside from that...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (166)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (498)
14.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (379)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (473)
13.94%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (164)
4.83%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (208)
6.13%
Loneliness (288)
8.49%
Financial worries (122)
3.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (137)
4.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (155)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (186)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (302)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (315)
9.28%

Watched Threads