The Student Room Group

Has anyone found this useful? (Med/Health care students) HELP DSA Dyslexia

https://www.dyslexic.com/product/spellex-handheld-medical-spell-checker/ thoughts on this?

I am dyslexic and trying to work out what would be helpful for the DSA to get me to help me manage my difficulties during my studies at uni. I will either be studying medicine or pharmacy which are both heavy courses. I plan to ask for a contribution towards a tablet (not Apple) which works with a stylus pen as I struggle learning through typing exclusively so it would be more helpful than a laptop, but having a tablet would allow me to have ebooks that I could apply text-to-speech to or make into PDFs and annotate, as well as allowing me to annotate ppt slides during lectures without printing EVERY page. I print more than the average and thought that a tablet would be a better compromise compared to spending loads on ink, special paper, and all of that and would have better functionality based on my SEN requirements compared to a laptop which i would really only find helpful to type essays on.

Please could people who have studied/ who are studying with decently bad dyslexia give me some insight and recommendations?
I don't have dyslexia but I did go through the DSA process and honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about what specific equipment you want. I would write a list of ways it specifically affects you and issues have difficulties with and go to the meeting like that. They will then offer you what equipment they think will help you in their professional experience and you will be able to see a lot of it and how it works. They will talk you through what you need, make suggestions and tell you what range they have available (as they work with specific suppliers so you often cant just have any brand you want). In terms of printing and such if you bring up why you print a lot they can also cover printing cost just so you're aware. I hope this helps a bit, sorry if it doesnt.
Reply 2
Original post by TiffSlade
I don't have dyslexia but I did go through the DSA process and honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about what specific equipment you want. I would write a list of ways it specifically affects you and issues have difficulties with and go to the meeting like that. They will then offer you what equipment they think will help you in their professional experience and you will be able to see a lot of it and how it works. They will talk you through what you need, make suggestions and tell you what range they have available (as they work with specific suppliers so you often cant just have any brand you want). In terms of printing and such if you bring up why you print a lot they can also cover printing cost just so you're aware. I hope this helps a bit, sorry if it doesnt.

It does thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest