How does the professional training year at Surrey work?

Watch
stockerzz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Like do you get to choose where the placement is? Is it guaranteed? Particularly for Biomedical Science? etc.
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by stockerzz)
Like do you get to choose where the placement is? Is it guaranteed? Particularly for Biomedical Science? etc.
Hi there!

I am a second year student studying Psychology with a placement year! Hopefully I can be of some help

Once you go into second year so around August time, you would gain access to a platform called pathfinder. This is where the university advertise placements for all students who are wanting to do a placement year. This platform is there to help you source a placement. However you don't have to find a placement via this platform you can self-source a placement yourself such as look on job boards like indeed etc. These self-sourced placement do need to be approved to the university. So if you did apply for any of these you just let them know and all they do is just check that its suitable for your course etc . I managed to self-source my own placement and the university accepted it right away with ease! So yes you can choose where it is, just as long as its suitable to your course. The placement isn't guaranteed. You have until the end of second year (so august) to secure a placement. If you do not secure a placement then you would go straight into third year. The likelihood of you getting a placement is high, you just need to make sure your constantly applying and being proactive.

The university do support you in a variety of ways when it comes to a placement. There is a Career service team that can help with CVs and cover letters and even interviews. They really supported me when it came to writing cover letters and CVs. Not only this, you get the option to have a placement mentor from a student who recently went on placement. They have meetings with you, and are there to help with any questions you have in regards to placement, finding a placement etc

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions!

Becca
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by stockerzz)
To introduce myself – I’m Joao, an Economics student from the University of Surrey on placement at Defra (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs).

As you know a placement provides students with a unique opportunity to gain skills specific to their subject or industry of choice as well as the employability skills required for real-life work so I would suggest applying for a sandwich degree. If you do not manage to secure one you simply go straight to the 3rd year. However, if you are considering applying to Surrey there are certain tips that will increase your chances of getting the placement you are looking for. If you need any help just contact your department’s Professional Training Tutor or contact the dedicated placements team at [email protected].

Our Employability and Careers team will encourage you to be proactive and apply for your industry placement yourself, by writing a CV and cover letter. More importantly, your school or department will appoint a senior tutor for Professional Training who will work with you from the application process through to the completion of your placement. This is an academic member of staff with responsibility for delivering the Professional Training scheme and supporting you at all stages of the journey.

The university also provides a Professional Training coaching scheme, where you can be paired with a student who has recently returned from their placement. That way you will have friendly support from someone who went through the same placement-seeking process and who will prepare you for the world of work.Also, as some placements abroad may involve learning and communicate in a language other than English, the university has support available to help you develop your language skills.

. If you have any questions about Surrey or uni life in general, then please ask as I am here to help you out!

Joao
Economics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (207)
43.86%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (54)
11.44%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (36)
7.63%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (100)
21.19%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (48)
10.17%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.72%

Watched Threads