Lotty Ro
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm doing Spanish A Level (I'm in Y12 this year) and I want to read a book in Spanish to help me, but I don't know what book to buy to read. There is always the option of buying Harry Potter (or some other English book) translated into Spanish (e.g. Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal), which I think would be the easiest book for me to read in Spanish because I know the Harry Potter books so well and would be able to understand what is happening even if I don't know all the vocab (and also, since HP is geared towards children, it would have easier vocab). however, while a Spanish translation of Harry Potter would be easiest, I think it would be really cool to read a book in the original Spanish, written by a Spanish author. it would take more work, and would be harder to read, but I would get more insight into Spanish culture and would have a book written from a Spanish perspective, so I would like to do this. The issue is that I don't know any Spanish books that I could read. Does anyone know any good Spanish books that are really interesting but that I could read (I'm aiming for an A*, so that kind of level)?
Thank you!
Yapshokh
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
At this point you might as well start reading the literary classics of spanish such as Don Quixote and El Amor en el Tiempo de Colera. I think these will test you but will give you a lot of insight into the history/culture, more so than something like HP would. Plus they're just incredible stories.
el pepinillo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Lotty Ro)
I'm doing Spanish A Level (I'm in Y12 this year) and I want to read a book in Spanish to help me, but I don't know what book to buy to read. There is always the option of buying Harry Potter (or some other English book) translated into Spanish (e.g. Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal), which I think would be the easiest book for me to read in Spanish because I know the Harry Potter books so well and would be able to understand what is happening even if I don't know all the vocab (and also, since HP is geared towards children, it would have easier vocab). however, while a Spanish translation of Harry Potter would be easiest, I think it would be really cool to read a book in the original Spanish, written by a Spanish author. it would take more work, and would be harder to read, but I would get more insight into Spanish culture and would have a book written from a Spanish perspective, so I would like to do this. The issue is that I don't know any Spanish books that I could read. Does anyone know any good Spanish books that are really interesting but that I could read (I'm aiming for an A*, so that kind of level)?
Thank you!
i'm not sure what book you're studying for a level, but it may be worth lookign at the syllabus and picking one off there, because they're all books which is at an a level standard! the one i'm doing is como agua para chocolate escrito por laura esquivel, y es una novela muy rara pero an interesting read! buena suerte con tus estudios!
Lotty Ro
Rep:
?
Thanks both of you, I really appreciate the advice! Gracias
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I really don’t think Don Quixote (at least in its original Spanish) is that appropriate for someone in year 12 as it’s 16th century Spanish and even natives don’t have the easiest time reading it. It’s like native English speakers with Shakespeare. Probably better at this stage to get a book that uses relatively modern Spanish. It’s hard to give interesting suggestions as we have no idea what kind of things interest you. You could always search up the current bestsellers in Spain and Latin America and pick one that looks good.
Lotty Ro
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
I really don’t think Don Quixote (at least in its original Spanish) is that appropriate for someone in year 12 as it’s 16th century Spanish and even natives don’t have the easiest time reading it. It’s like native English speakers with Shakespeare. Probably better at this stage to get a book that uses relatively modern Spanish. It’s hard to give interesting suggestions as we have no idea what kind of things interest you. You could always search up the current bestsellers in Spain and Latin America and pick one that looks good.
Thank you, I'll look into that!
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
This is a useful online resource which I found last year. You can look for books to read according to the different book categories on this useful website in order to find some. Visit the link that is attached to my comment https://www.grantandcutler.com/section/ for more details. Have fun searching.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I’m worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (11)
39.29%
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (4)
14.29%
I’m worried it will impact my future career (2)
7.14%
I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (6)
21.43%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (2)
7.14%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (3)
10.71%

Watched Threads