Donnialy
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hello all! I'm aspiring to do medicine and im in year 11. for my a level choices should i pick physics or maths? so far i have chosen bio,maths,chem and Spanish. if i take maths would that give me an advantage? if i took physics instead of maths would that give me a disadvantage? i do love both physics and Spanish i do want to do them both. thanksss
esmil
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Donnialy)
Hello all! I'm aspiring to do medicine and im in year 11. for my a level choices should i pick physics or maths? so far i have chosen bio,maths,chem and Spanish. if i take maths would that give me an advantage? if i took physics instead of maths would that give me a disadvantage? i do love both physics and Spanish i do want to do them both. thanksss
You really only need Biology and chemistry at A Level to do medicine. I currently do Bio, Chem, Maths and Further maths and if I could go back I would do French instead because I thought you needed maths but you don’t. If I were you I would do Spanish because A level Physics is a killer.
Jingonator
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Hi,
I'm a current medicine applicant who should 'hopefully' be going to uni in 2021 assuming I get the grades. I took chem, bio, maths and an EPQ (which i completed in yr 12). I was very very very close to choosing physics as a 4th a level at your stage as well, but ultimately decided not to for a few reasons:

- 4 A levels doesn't give you an advantage over applicants with 3 a levels - if anything studying for 4 a levels might make it harder to get top grades in the main 3 that unis look at.
- This is debatable but knowledge from physics is not as applicable to medicine as maths, bio and chem.

Personally, I feel that maths has really helped with the maths parts of chem and bio. That being said, there are elements of physics that may have also had cross-links with bio and chem.

I would just go with what you prefer tbh - you are not gonna be at any disadvantage for choosing maths over physics.
Donnialy
Rep:
(Original post by esmil)
You really only need Biology and chemistry at A Level to do medicine. I currently do Bio, Chem, Maths and Further maths and if I could go back I would do French instead because I thought you needed maths but you don’t. If I were you I would do Spanish because A level Physics is a killer.
ahh ok ty for lmk
Donnialy
Rep:
(Original post by Jingonator)
Hi,
I'm a current medicine applicant who should 'hopefully' be going to uni in 2021 assuming I get the grades. I took chem, bio, maths and an EPQ (which i completed in yr 12). I was very very very close to choosing physics as a 4th a level at your stage as well, but ultimately decided not to for a few reasons:

- 4 A levels doesn't give you an advantage over applicants with 3 a levels - if anything studying for 4 a levels might make it harder to get top grades in the main 3 that unis look at.
- This is debatable but knowledge from physics is not as applicable to medicine as maths, bio and chem.

Personally, I feel that maths has really helped with the maths parts of chem and bio. That being said, there are elements of physics that may have also had cross-links with bio and chem.

I would just go with what you prefer tbh - you are not gonna be at any disadvantage for choosing maths over physics.
ahh ok ty for lmk. i understand that maths can help across the other two sciences, but it'll be rlly hard, whereas the maths in physics a level is only gcse standard apparently. anyways ill have a think ,ty
Jingonator
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
ahh ok ty for lmk. i understand that maths can help across the other two sciences, but it'll be rlly hard, whereas the maths in physics a level is only gcse standard apparently. anyways ill have a think ,ty
Ye fairs. Ultimately bio and chem are the only ones you need to get into medicine. Just choose the one that you believe you will perform the best in, as you really don't want to choose maths and end up getting a B/C that prevents you from getting into med school and ruins all your hard-work to get the offer in the first place.
cactussalad
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
I do bio chem spanish (also hopefully doing medicine next year) and I'm really happy that I do spanish not maths - its a really fun course and a nice break from the others. I would suggest doing 3 a levels and maybe an EPQ as 4 is a lot more work and the EPQ is really helpful and interesting to find out more about something you like - I did factors impacting the responses to ebola and zika (chose before corona - bit mad really). At the end of the day, the third one should be a subject you love that you'll get an A/A* in
Donnialy
Rep:
(Original post by cactussalad)
I do bio chem spanish (also hopefully doing medicine next year) and I'm really happy that I do spanish not maths - its a really fun course and a nice break from the others. I would suggest doing 3 a levels and maybe an EPQ as 4 is a lot more work and the EPQ is really helpful and interesting to find out more about something you like - I did factors impacting the responses to ebola and zika (chose before corona - bit mad really). At the end of the day, the third one should be a subject you love that you'll get an A/A* in
ty! whats the spanish course like? how different is it to gcse?
cactussalad
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
ty! whats the spanish course like? how different is it to gcse?
there's a lot more culture - more about Spain and other spanish speaking countries than talking about yourself in a different language. For the writing you've got to write English style essays on literature and film, which sounds quite intimidating but is actually really fun because you've already got the skills from English GCSE, you're just putting them into a different language. Listening is a lot more calm because you control the recording so its a lot less stressful, but its in the same paper as the reading so you've got to manage your time. In the speaking exam you've got to do a short research project on anything to do with spanish speaking society - I'm doing Cuban healthcare internationalism and a speaking card - similar to the discussion on a theme after the picture card at GCSE - where more of the knowledge about content comes in.

Overall, I've really enjoyed it and its definitely more fun than maths! Try not to think of it as a disadvantage - it makes you stand out and gives you so many skills for medicine. Also you could do your elective in Spain or South America which would be a great use of the language. Feel free to PM if you've got any more questions!
Donnialy
Rep:
Tysm for replying I will take that on board !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (58)
12.55%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.73%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.41%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
9.31%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (216)
46.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.25%

Watched Threads