What's the structural difference between mRNA and RNA?

Watch this thread
champagnevstudy
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
BioKnowsBest11
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by champagnevstudy)
Hi there,
RNA refers any single-stranded molecule that is transcribed from DNA, and mRNA is one of those. mRNA is read by ribosomes at the start of translation to build proteins. So technically they are the same i.e. contain the same bases and are both single-stranded, but mRNA is a type of RNA that is read by ribosomes which is unique from the other types of RNA.
Sorry if this is confusing but I hope it helps
champagnevstudy
Rep:
(Original post by BioKnowsBest11)
Hi there,
RNA refers any single-stranded molecule that is transcribed from DNA, and mRNA is one of those. mRNA is read by ribosomes at the start of translation to build proteins. So technically they are the same i.e. contain the same bases and are both single-stranded, but mRNA is a type of RNA that is read by ribosomes which is unique from the other types of RNA.
Sorry if this is confusing but I hope it helps
That's so helpful, thank you!!!!
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Although BioKnowsBest11 gave a good and detailed answer, there is a difference in the nucleotides in detail: the RNA has an uracil as such, the DNA has a thymine instead. Both are complementary to adenine in the structure.
champagnevstudy
Rep:
Thank you! All these comments have been extremely helpful!

(Original post by Kallisto)
Although BioKnowsBest11 gave a good and detailed answer, there is a difference in the nucleotides in detail: the RNA has an uracil as such, the DNA has a thymine instead. Both are complementary to adenine in the structure.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thank you! All these comments have been extremely helpful!
Don't mention it! if you need another help in genetics, tag my name and I will be there and see what I can do for you! genetics is my favorite lesson in biology.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (280)
41.6%
The paper was reasonable (280)
41.6%
Not feeling great about that exam... (62)
9.21%
It was TERRIBLE (51)
7.58%

Watched Threads