I dont think I should pursue medicine

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone! So i wanted an opinion on this dilemma I am facing right now, so basically I was diagnosed with social anxiety since middle school and this year I applied for courses related to science even though my heart is set on medicine. One of the main reason I didnt apply for it was it didn't feel right to apply for it when I felt like if I did get in, in the long run my anxiety would definitely affect patient care.
Everyone keeps telling me to work on myself and apply later on but the whole idea just scares me. Feels like a fantasy not a realistic option.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi everyone! So i wanted an opinion on this dilemma I am facing right now, so basically I was diagnosed with social anxiety since middle school and this year I applied for courses related to science even though my heart is set on medicine. One of the main reason I didnt apply for it was it didn't feel right to apply for it when I felt like if I did get in, in the long run my anxiety would definitely affect patient care.
Everyone keeps telling me to work on myself and apply later on but the whole idea just scares me. Feels like a fantasy not a realistic option.
I feel like social anxiety isn't going to make you a worse doctor; if anything, combined with your heart being set on medicine, it's going to make you an even better doctor as you've had to work alot to get there. If you feel like it's your dream, I don't think you should let having social anxiety stop you, and from now to when you become a doctor you will surely have grown as a person, and even then, EVERYONE has personal issues, that will affect patient care one way or another. Even you making the effort to write this post shows you really care, so continue with this awareness through your journey and take steps to prevent it from (affecting patient care). Anyway, all the best and know you have one person, for definite, rooting for you
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
Depends on your grades. If you are getting A's go ahead and study medicine.

I have social anxiety and depression and I have had mental condition for 2 years I failed A levels. I hate myself and my miserable life.
Anonymous #4
Report 3 weeks ago
Imo, I feel like you should've applied but I understand why you felt uncertain. I'm a first year medical student and was apprehensive about applying due to this reason- public speaking, being in new situations, groups etc makes me reallyy anxious- however as I knew it was what I truly wanted to do, I decided to apply as I didn't wanted to regret it and beat myself up about it years down the line.

What I will say is that if you really do want to do medicine (which it seems like you do), you should apply. Medical school provides so many opportunities to develop your communication skills- you're exposed to it constantly so even though it may be scary at the start, you'll become used to it overtime (and even realise it isn't as big as you think it is)
~Tara~
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It could be your anxiety telling you that it is all a fantasy. Nothing is really tangible until you start doing the courses, you know. I think it would be better to try. My biggest regret is not applying for the courses that i needed to study medicine because i let myself believe i wasnt smart enough to be a doctor. I was smart enough.

I mean it doesnt keep me up at night. i still work in healthcare and i love my job - instead i use the regret to remind myself that i need to be my biggest cheerleader. Even mental illnesses evolve over time. You wont always feel incapacitated by anxiety and perhaps the structure of the course would help you.

Dont rul eit out as an option before youve treated it as a viable option.
Last edited by ~Tara~; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (186)
5.03%
Uncertainty around my education (541)
14.63%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (411)
11.12%
Lack of purpose or motivation (509)
13.77%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (183)
4.95%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
6%
Loneliness (312)
8.44%
Financial worries (136)
3.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.92%
Exposure to negative news/social media (167)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (209)
5.65%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (330)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (346)
9.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed