The Student Room Group

bayonet charge and exposure comparison essay what mark Is out of 40??

i am doing aqa and will appreciate a mark out of 34 including 4 for SPAG

In both ‘Exposure’ and ‘Bayonet Charge’ conflict is presented with negative impacts specifically for the soldiers. Conflict in both poems is arguably very significant as they are both based on how the soldiers are affected by this conflict. Some readers may argue that conflict has positive impacts as they are defending their country no matter the circumstances, but the negative impacts are much more severe as soldiers rather prefer “ongoing suffering” than conflict.

In both ‘Exposure’ and ‘Bayonet Charge’ form is operated in order for the conflict to end. That’s conveyed by how Wilfred Owen describes that “nothing is happening.” It's refraining that throughout this poem is sending a political message to the reader that he wants peace to be established and Owen himself was very tired of this conflict. Furthermore, it emphasises the inertial sense of paralysis which is foreboding the ones that have died during this conflict. The silence in itself is with lifelessness; the uncanny and eerie reflects that all these confusions mirror that they are tired of this ongoing conflict and wanting it to end. This is exactly identical to ‘Bayonet Charge. In stanza one of ‘Bayonet Charge’ contains seven lines as well as the second stanza containing eight lines. The first stanza describes how “He lugged a rifle numb as a smashed arm” which is an iambic rhythm, but in contrast to the second stanza it employs the trochaic rhythm of how the “bullets were smacking the belly out of the air”. These two different form techniques, it is implying that this is having a disconcerting effect on war and that they want this to stop. It isn’t a natural rhythm to the poem so there is an unnatural rhythm to the soldiers, and how that they are tired of this ongoing conflict, and the unnatural is reflecting the uncomfortableness.

Furthermore, both poets illustrate the negative effects of conflict, it has had on the soldier from the experiences that they are going through. Towards the end of 'Exposure', the writer describes the soldiers are “paused over half-know faces. All their eyes are ice". It reveals the significance of how the effects of the conflict have caused their eyes to be both literally and metaphorically dying from the weather conditions. If the soldier were to have friends they would have much more pity, however, if they don’t have friends they wouldn't have a lot of pity for each other. "But nothing happens" is conveying that from this ongoing suffering they would rather prefer to suffer from this bitter cold than being shot in battle; also from this ongoing suffering they want a peace treaty to be established. ‘Bayonet Charge’ is exactly identical to how it illustrates the negative effects of conflict. Hughes describes how they “suddenly he awoke and was running - raw In raw." As for this quote, it begins with a media res and its mirroring that conflict is unnatural and is applied to the awakening of normal life and its very different to its current state. Also, that implies that it's a dream as the soldiers are awakening from war. The soldiers are awakening from the middle of "raw". The repetition of "raw" and "war" it depicts how conflict is both emotionally and physically painful. More on, it's a homophone for the war of how it has awakened them from their dreams as the word: "suddenly" suggests. The verb: "running" reflects that it's occurring suddenly but also without punctuation mimicking that they are either running towards death or running away from their death.

Moreover, ‘Exposure’ and ‘Bayonet Charge’ apply structure however for different purposes in order to show conflict in a particular viewpoint. Owen presents the conflict as being monotonous. That’s illustrated how Owen applies the half-rhymes of "salient" and "nervous". From this structural technique it implies how conflict has caused the poem to be unsettling and repetitive and the sentiment that " nothing happens." Furthermore, this mimics that there's no rhyme scheme occurring in 'Exposure'. Another interpretation is the effect of conflict is that it is depicting that conflict gives a sense of status and sameness throughout the poem that "nothing is happening." However, in contrast 'Bayonet Charge' conflict is shown to be chaotic through the structure. Hughes applies, both enjambment and caesuras to achieve how conflict is again very chaotic. As from the operation of the enjambment and caesura, it displays that Owen creates both a bizarre and erratic speed to the poem strengthening the point that charge of the soldiers was confusion and intensity of the battle with explosions and intensity of the battle. Therefore, it mirrors how conflict has led to jumbled thoughts in soldiers' minds in ‘Bayonet Charge’.

To conclude, ‘Exposure’ presents conflict being very dominant given that Owen explores conflict to illustrate what impact that this can have on the soldiers, but, on the other hand, ‘Bayonet Charge’ is a more inspiring conflict poem as it depicts how Hughes is having a tribute to his father’s suffering. It memorialises conflict as a warning for those in the future generation.
I'm not a teacher at all, so my response might not be helpful, however I am a grade 9 GCSE english student. Your response to the exam question is brilliant and you make a lot of perceptive points in your analogy, although some are written in a way that may be confusing to the examiner and I'd recommend more advanced vocabulary. I hope this helps. :smile:
hey, i'm just wondering what the question was, as i think i may have got a similar one.i'm struggling to answer.question:Compare the reality of conflict between the poem bayonet charge and exposure.please can someone help.
Reply 3
Original post by avengersendgame
i am doing aqa and will appreciate a mark out of 34 including 4 for SPAG

In both ‘Exposure’ and ‘Bayonet Charge’ conflict is presented with negative impacts specifically for the soldiers. Conflict in both poems is arguably very significant as they are both based on how the soldiers are affected by this conflict. Some readers may argue that conflict has positive impacts as they are defending their country no matter the circumstances, but the negative impacts are much more severe as soldiers rather prefer “ongoing suffering” than conflict.

In both ‘Exposure’ and ‘Bayonet Charge’ form is operated in order for the conflict to end. That’s conveyed by how Wilfred Owen describes that “nothing is happening.” It's refraining that throughout this poem is sending a political message to the reader that he wants peace to be established and Owen himself was very tired of this conflict. Furthermore, it emphasises the inertial sense of paralysis which is foreboding the ones that have died during this conflict. The silence in itself is with lifelessness; the uncanny and eerie reflects that all these confusions mirror that they are tired of this ongoing conflict and wanting it to end. This is exactly identical to ‘Bayonet Charge. In stanza one of ‘Bayonet Charge’ contains seven lines as well as the second stanza containing eight lines. The first stanza describes how “He lugged a rifle numb as a smashed arm” which is an iambic rhythm, but in contrast to the second stanza it employs the trochaic rhythm of how the “bullets were smacking the belly out of the air”. These two different form techniques, it is implying that this is having a disconcerting effect on war and that they want this to stop. It isn’t a natural rhythm to the poem so there is an unnatural rhythm to the soldiers, and how that they are tired of this ongoing conflict, and the unnatural is reflecting the uncomfortableness.

Furthermore, both poets illustrate the negative effects of conflict, it has had on the soldier from the experiences that they are going through. Towards the end of 'Exposure', the writer describes the soldiers are “paused over half-know faces. All their eyes are ice

Quick Reply

Latest