mollyt11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi! I'm currently in Year 10 and I have an interest in teaching secondary history in the future. I was wondering if anyone could let me know what minimum GCSE grades I would have to achieve? And I'd also like to know what other subjects I would be able to teach with a degree in history (if that is even possible?)

Thank you
Last edited by mollyt11; 3 weeks ago
Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mollyt11)
Hi! I'm currently in Year 10 and I have an interest in teaching secondary history in the future. I was wondering if anyone could let me know what minimum GCSE grades I would have to achieve? And I'd also like to know what other subjects I would be able to teach with a degree in history (if that is even possible?)

Thank you
Hello :ciao:

I am a Primary Education student so it is always great to hear from other aspiring teachers!

I am sure you know, the most typical route for this is completing a history degree and then a PGCE for a final fourth year to earn Qualified Teaching Status. Entry requirements for history degrees will vary across universities but PGCEs are a little more strict!

A PGCE requires a person to have a GCSEs at grade C/4 or above in English and mathematics. You also need to have completed a degree.

You can apply for a PGCE in any subject that has 50% relevance to your degree.

I hope this helps,
Lydia
mollyt11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador))
Hello :ciao:

I am a Primary Education student so it is always great to hear from other aspiring teachers!

I am sure you know, the most typical route for this is completing a history degree and then a PGCE for a final fourth year to earn Qualified Teaching Status. Entry requirements for history degrees will vary across universities but PGCEs are a little more strict!

A PGCE requires a person to have a GCSEs at grade C/4 or above in English and mathematics. You also need to have completed a degree.

You can apply for a PGCE in any subject that has 50% relevance to your degree.

I hope this helps,
Lydia
Thank you so much for your help, this definitely helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (170)
41.87%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (60)
14.78%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (168)
41.38%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.97%

Watched Threads