Recent mass shootings in the U.S.

Watch
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Reagan assassinated in 1981 perhaps coming on the heels of the murder of Lennon?
if the attempt on the President's life had succeeded then there would probably have been some kind of handgun ban. In the event there was a tightening of handgun laws; his press secretary suffered grave head injuries.
iamthicccccc1405
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sometimes I hate living in the US
looloo2134
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
Why does anyone need a gun for "self defence"?
Studies show that people who keep a gun at home are four times more likely to be shot than those who do not, so you are actually much safer without one.
The majority of those people its accident or suicide attempts very few are people trying to kill other people.
Last edited by looloo2134; 3 weeks ago
Occitanie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
This is just NRA pedantry. Semi and fully auto are almost identical in operation, and semis are capable of firing up to 180rpm.
They both automatically load a new round into the chamber after every shot, so both are automatic.
Of course, there are lot more factors to consider...
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
The difference is far from meaningless when it comes to legality and ownership of automatic weapons.

The original statement was paternaly wrong.
Whenever someone opposed to mass shootings uses the term "automatic weapons", the people comfortable with these massacres alway jump on the terminology. In the context of the number of people dying, the distinction is pretty much meaningless.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
Whenever someone opposed to mass shootings uses the term "automatic weapons", the people comfortable with these massacres alway jump on the terminology. In the context of the number of people dying, the distinction is pretty much meaningless.
You can argue till you are blue in the face but the fact remains the term is wrong. I will not be discussing this matter further as it has no merit.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
I do think though that if a gunman toting an automatic rifle managed to get into the House or Senate and mow down a bunch of the people's reps, that might tip them into some kind of 'action'.
Hahahaha! Liberal snowflake!! AuToMaTiC RiFlEs ArE ilLeGaL!!!
2nd Amendment! Cold Dead Hands!!! Criminals with guns!!! Etc!!!!
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by looloo2134)
The majority of those people its accident or suicide attempts very few are people taking to kill other people.
There are around 15,000 homicides by firearm every year in the US. Hardly "very few people".
Accidents make up a tiny proportion of deaths. It is about 40% homicide and 60% suicide.

The US has the highest firearm homicide rates in the first world, despite having the highest private gun ownership of any country by a long margin.
The guns owned for self defence clearly don't protect their owners from being killed by someone else with a gun.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You can argue till you are blue in the face but the fact remains the term is wrong. I will not be discussing this matter further as it has no merit.
And you can argue as much as you like, but insisting that the high-capacity magazine, rapid-firing, assault style weapons are not "automatic rifles" is a meaningless argument, albeit technically accurate (which I have never said otherwise).
Occitanie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
The US has the highest firearm homicide rates in the first world,
Pretty sure it's Brazil.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Occitanie)
Pretty sure it's Brazil.
Brazil isn't a "first world" country.
anon1852
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Just under 100 people die on average a day in fatal motor vehicles in the US that has pretty good road safety

The odd 10 people killed in a supermarket isn't some huge loss of life

Pissed a lot of lefties when they found out the guy from Syria..

But who is really to blame..

Who started interfering in Syria causing terrorism, mass refugees and extremism at home? Obama. Before him Bush, before him Clinton.

All of this was created by Western foreign policy and never does anyone hold our leaders acountable for the mess they create.

Yes this also goes for Brenton Tarrant.. for he was motivated just like the Colorado shooter by revenge.
It's just a never ending cycle.. but the root cause of it as I said our governments are to blame.
Last edited by anon1852; 3 weeks ago
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
This is just NRA pedantry. Semi and fully auto are almost identical in operation, and semis are capable of firing up to 180rpm.
They both automatically load a new round into the chamber after every shot, so both are automatic.
I mean you're completely wrong and are doing little more than mistaking what a full-auto weapon is, whether you like it or not there is a serious difference between semi and full auto weapons. You believe otherwise if you like though.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
prsom
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
is it just me or does the BBC read more and more like a tabloid newspaper every day :hmmm:

at least, in the first article about the Atlanta shooting; i mean, second paragraph says 'Officials cannot yet confirm if the attack, in which six Asian women were killed, was racially motivated' and in a later paragraph 'Police also noted it is still too early in the investigation to definitively state a motive and that the suspect appeared to have been acting alone' -- yet the whole article is leading and implies a motive for the accused including the chosen photograph at the top. no one knows what the motive is yet. all we know is the accused claims to have a 'sex addiction' - which may or may not be relevant - and 'he loved God and guns'. admittedly the sex addiction is suspect, but personally just getting kinda irritated with the way the news reports on criminal activity. it's failed journalism to write 'we don't know the motive yet' then write a leading story; like so much for objectivity and accurate news writing. jmho
Last edited by Joleee; 3 weeks ago
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
From what seems to be the only liberal left at the New York Times, Bret Stephens:

The Atlanta Massacre and the Media’s Morality Plays

And the motive, while still requiring scrutiny, is confessed: The killer claims to have been struggling with a sex addiction at odds with his evangelical beliefs. According to The Associated Press, “All three businesses where people were fatally shot Tuesday have detailed recent reviews on an online site that leads users to places that provide sexual services.”

So how do we get headlines like “The Atlanta Spa Shootings and the Year of Hatred Against Asian Americans” on a news story from U.S. News & World Report? And why has reporting of the incident by so many news outlets emphasized the race of six of the victims when there is, as yet, only one rumored bit of evidence (in a South Korean newspaper) that the victims were attacked on account of their race?
What can one conclude from this limited data? Not a lot, except that the idea that white supremacy is what haunts Asian-Americans rests on empirically thin ice. Like so much else in public discourse today, it’s another capital-T ideological Truth in search of lower-case-t factual truths to validate its predetermined, overstretched hypotheses. That it has the laudable goal of “raising awareness” and “combating hate” does not relieve journalists of the responsibility to report facts scrupulously, not play to fears in the service of a higher good.

In the meantime, readers deserve to know how the perpetrator was able to buy the murder weapon on the day of his killing spree. They ought to learn more about the religious mania that allegedly fueled his toxic anxieties. They deserve to know just how widespread the sex trade is in massage spas, and why local authorities seem to look the other way. And they ought to see where the evidence may yet lead, including the still-open possibility of hidden racial animus.

All of this would be journalism in which the public could have confidence. Instead we have morality plays.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
I mean you're completely wrong and are doing little more than mistaking what a full-auto weapon is, whether you like it or not there is a serious difference between semi and full auto weapons. You believe otherwise if you like though.
Given that they can be identical in every way, apart from one small change which removes the need to pull the trigger for each shot, and that full-auto can become semi-auto at the flick of a switch, perhaps you could explain how a full-auto and semi-auto rifle is so completely different?

It's also worth pointing out to the pedants that "automatic rifle" applies to both semi-auto and full-auto versions.
The AR-15 that can be legally bought over the counter in the US is an "automatic rifle".
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by anon1852)
Just under 100 people die on average a day in fatal motor vehicles in the US that has pretty good road safety
Cars aren't designed to kill people, and most traffic accidents aren't deliberately caused in order to kill people.

The odd 10 people killed in a supermarket isn't some huge loss of life
The victims and their families would probably disagree.

Pissed a lot of lefties when they found out the guy from Syria..
Why?
BTW, he was hardly "from Syria" as his family moved to the US when he was 3.

But who is really to blame..
Who started interfering in Syria causing terrorism, mass refugees and extremism at home? Obama. Before him Bush, before him Clinton.
The current state of Syria is because of a sectarian civil war. Before that, the main foreign powers influencing Syria were Russia and Iran.

All of this was created by Western foreign policy and never does anyone hold our leaders acountable for the mess they create.
Learning the reality of geo-political history and current affairs might be a good thing.

Yes this also goes for Brenton Tarrant.. for he was motivated just like the Colorado shooter by revenge.
It's just a never ending cycle.. but the root cause of it as I said our governments are to blame.
The King Sooper shooter had a history of loner violence and paranoia since high school, where he threatened to kill everyone over perceived slights.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
Given that they can be identical in every way, apart from one small change which removes the need to pull the trigger for each shot, and that full-auto can become semi-auto at the flick of a switch, perhaps you could explain how a full-auto and semi-auto rifle is so completely different?

It's also worth pointing out to the pedants that "automatic rifle" applies to both semi-auto and full-auto versions.
The AR-15 that can be legally bought over the counter in the US is an "automatic rifle".
I dont understand how this is so confusing for you? a semi-auto is factually different from a full-auto. You can try and be as pedantic as you please about it but you are still utterly wrong and no amount of word play is going to change that.
If you dont know the difference between a gun that requires only one trigger pull vs. one that requires multiples that is an astounding level of ignorance for someone who is making pretenses at knowing what he is talking about.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
I dont understand how this is so confusing for you? a semi-auto is factually different from a full-auto. You can try and be as pedantic as you please about it but you are still utterly wrong and no amount of word play is going to change that.
If you dont know the difference between a gun that requires only one trigger pull vs. one that requires multiples that is an astounding level of ignorance for someone who is making pretenses at knowing what he is talking about.
1. How is a semi-auto AR15 and a full-auto M16 stuck in semi-auto mode different in practical terms?
2. Where have I claimed that there is no factual difference between a semi and a full auto?

I include my original post for you to read again as you seem to have entirely missed it. Feel free to ask for help if you are still struggling.

Oh yes, and *ssprroiinnggg!*
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (136)
4.78%
Uncertainty around my education (418)
14.7%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (320)
11.26%
Lack of purpose or motivation (398)
14%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (128)
4.5%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (173)
6.09%
Loneliness (247)
8.69%
Financial worries (102)
3.59%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (115)
4.05%
Exposure to negative news/social media (131)
4.61%
Lack of real life entertainment (153)
5.38%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (252)
8.86%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (270)
9.5%

Watched Threads