The Student Room Group

English Lit - Paper 2 Question 4.

Hello, would anyone be willing to give me some feedback on my response, how many marks roughly and areas for improvements? There may be grammar errors - sorry about that.

For this question, you need to refer to the whole of source “A” together with the whole of source “B” Compare how the difference writers convey different perspectives on extreme weather conditions

Although both sources revolve around weather conditions they both have different attitudes concerning the weather. The climbers in source “A” are struck with a brutal force that leads to casualties and deaths: “Fighting for their lives” emphasises the tragedy that had occurred on the mountain. It demonstrates the fear the climbers are feeling. The use of the adjective “fighting” means engaging in conflict or violence which heightens how hard they are working to overcome this bloodthirsty uproar of storms. Someone who is fighting for their life is making great attempts to stay alive. The imagery of how hard they are working to not perish puts into perspective how barbaric the tempest was. The climber's attitude evokes fear creating a petrified perspective. Additionally, the gory images of the dead climbers on the mountain induces a melancholy tone. On the other hand source “B” contradicts the overwhelming emotion on the mountain by using calm and serene imagery although thorough they have a positive outlook on the weather, towards the end, they start seeing the snow as a nuisance. The line “a headache came on” conveys an inconvenient tone as he has to put up with the weather. This quote highlights the different perspectives on the weather as one conveys dangers and death whereas the other is just an annoyance.

In source “A” the climbers “stood watching in awe as the apocalyptic vision crept silently and swiftly towards them.” The use of the noun “awe” suggests wonder and astonishment regardless of the apocalyptic world that will follow. They were stunned by the beauty of the storm and the words “silently and swiftly” use alliteration to persuade feelings of relaxation. Soon after the calming perspective of the storm, we are overwhelmed with brutal imagery of the storm “ripping into the tents in a blinding fury of driving snow.'' The author compares the storm to the savage nature of animals to communicate a frightening perspective on the storm. Furthermore, the fury of snow promulgates the anger of the storm which also uses personification to describe the storm as having emotions. The reader is submerged with the climbers as to how rapidly the storm hits. In contrast, source “B” has an overall more calming attitude throughout this is demonstrated in the line “snow had silently fallen” the adjective silent Perseus a calming perspective. The snow feels tranquil and the world feels pleasant. Although the calming attitude contrasts later in the extract when the author comes across a girl “who has no home; who slept last night on a step in a sheltered corner” this perpetuates a melancholy tone as the harsh reality of the poverty struggles are ambushed at the reader this leaves us with a sorrowful ending.

Moreover the storm leaves the climbers feeling defeated. They fought for their lives but their efforts could not withstand the brutal attack of nature. The climbers were left with ‘A total of eight fatalities’. The disastrous events that have just occured leaves the reader feeling immense, showing a calamitous perspective. They felt defenceless against the hard-hearted tempest. However in source “B” the author claims he “was almost helpless.”Although they both felt helpless in the face of the weather in both extracts, source "A" had a more extreme and dangerous attitude than source "B," because the weather in source "B" is calm and serene, and the only person who would be adversely affected by the situation is the homeless girl. It's difficult to feel empathy for the author in source "B" in the same way that you do for the people in source "A." The weather is unpleasant for Arthur, but he will continue to live once the weather has warmed up; meanwhile, the climbers will be traumatised.

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Wait which paper is this. Im doing my english language paper 1 for my mocks tmrw.
Reply 2
Original post by Skrrr88
Wait which paper is this. Im doing my english language paper 1 for my mocks tmrw.

it is paper two question 4 :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
For the 2020 englsih language paper ??
Reply 4
I'm not sure. this was just a practice question

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending