The Student Room Group

How to Improve my grades for May

Hello, currently I’m preparing to take full length Higher papers in May which will be the basis of my whole grade. I got my Report and currently I’m sitting at a C in Chemistry, D in Geography and English, F in Physics

How do I improve my grades in the ones I’m failing?
Do I have enough time?
And finally which revision methods did you do that worked for these subjects?

PLEASE HELP ME
You can always improve, you have 5-6 weeks until May, but need to start straight away and put the hours in, there is no easy way. Currently I am working school days 9am-7pm, but make sure I take breaks every couple of hours to make lunch, walk the dog around the block for some air and keep away from my phone during the day as it is too easy to waste time on it. At weekends I fit in 2-3 hours each day in the morning so I get the afternoons and night free, I will do more as we get closer to May. It is only a few weeks but will be worth it, if I need to I take a day off, I also make sure I exercise and get enough sleep as I know I can't concentrate after late nights.

For chemistry and physics I revised all my notes, looked at recorded lessons/youtube/scholar/bbc bitesize or revision books for bits I don't know or if my notes were not clear. Then I have worked through a past paper, marked myself and made a list of areas I need to study. Studied these, then repeat with the next past paper. If you are stuck with something, ask your teacher to help, but try to be specific and show you know most of it there is just one bit you are stuck with. 5-6 weeks you could do at least one paper per subject per week, the first one will be hard as there will be lots you don't know, but as you study it will get easier.

English I find much harder, I practice RUAE past papers and exercises in revision books and mark myself. Also trying mind maps for essay and scottish text and remembering a selection of quotes and what they mean. I don't do geography.

Maybe also think about what your subject priorities are. What are your plans and what subjects do you need for them?
thank you black lab and scholar I'll check it out
Reply 3
I’d definitely agree with the post above. You’ve got the whole of April to just work as hard as you possibly can to improve your grades.

Honestly I’d advise just putting your head down and studying hard for the next few weeks as you really won’t regret it in future.

For English, you should really learn your texts inside out and practice possible questions. Read news articles to practice your close reading. Geography has quite a lot of content- so learn that first and then look at past papers.

Physics and chemistry are both tough courses ngl but what worked for me was just doing loads of past papers. There’s only so many questions that can be asked for these subjects so if you practice as many as you can you’ll be well prepared for the exam.

Honestly just work literally as hard as you can and make sacrifices for the next few weeks and you will thank yourself so much in the future.

Think about whether you’d rather study hard now and have lots of options for courses/jobs in the future or be lazy!

Get rid of your phone/Xbox/Netflix for a month and set yourself a goal of working 10 hours a day, 6 days a week until your exams.

Good luck!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by BlackLab
You can always improve, you have 5-6 weeks until May, but need to start straight away and put the hours in, there is no easy way. Currently I am working school days 9am-7pm, but make sure I take breaks every couple of hours to make lunch, walk the dog around the block for some air and keep away from my phone during the day as it is too easy to waste time on it. At weekends I fit in 2-3 hours each day in the morning so I get the afternoons and night free, I will do more as we get closer to May. It is only a few weeks but will be worth it, if I need to I take a day off, I also make sure I exercise and get enough sleep as I know I can't concentrate after late nights.

For chemistry and physics I revised all my notes, looked at recorded lessons/youtube/scholar/bbc bitesize or revision books for bits I don't know or if my notes were not clear. Then I have worked through a past paper, marked myself and made a list of areas I need to study. Studied these, then repeat with the next past paper. If you are stuck with something, ask your teacher to help, but try to be specific and show you know most of it there is just one bit you are stuck with. 5-6 weeks you could do at least one paper per subject per week, the first one will be hard as there will be lots you don't know, but as you study it will get easier.

English I find much harder, I practice RUAE past papers and exercises in revision books and mark myself. Also trying mind maps for essay and scottish text and remembering a selection of quotes and what they mean. I don't do geography.

Maybe also think about what your subject priorities are. What are your plans and what subjects do you need for them?

Really impressive that you’re working so hard! It’s great that you’ve got such a mature attitude and are looking to do well in your highers. You will certainly thank yourself in future for putting in the effort now rather than being lazy!

Getting into the habit of working 9am-7pm in school days (with regular breaks!) is great and it’s a good idea staying away from your phone.

I’d advise building up to doing around the same number of hours per day on weekends now to give yourself the best chance of success!
Once you have revised the theory of your subject... Do. Past. Papers. They are a godsend and get you both working to the standard SQA expect as well as let you know what the MIs typically look like - so you can skew your answers to fit what they are looking for.
I’ve got some quizlets for AH Chemistry and some for AH English (which may be more or less useful depending on which books you’re studying.) I can link them below if anyone wants them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending