diffraction pattern question help

Watch this thread
terr123_78787
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
laser light of wavelength 640nm is incident normally at a diffraction grating. the separation between adjacent slits (lines) is 3.3 x 10^-6 m.

what is the total number of bright spots that can be observed in the diffraction pattern?
ak1237
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Using the diffraction grating equation d sin(θ) = n λ, you can rearrange to get n = (d sin(θ))/λ. As the angle increases, more and more bright spots are visible. This occurs up until θ = 90 degrees at which point the light would be perpendicular to the incident light. Therefore, no light is visible at θ > 90 degrees. So setting θ = 90 in the equation (so sin(θ) = 1) gets n = 5.15625. This means that 5 total spots are visible (as the 6th spot is going to be after 90 degrees).

Hope this helps
terr123_78787
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by ak1237)
Using the diffraction grating equation d sin(θ) = n λ, you can rearrange to get n = (d sin(θ))/λ. As the angle increases, more and more bright spots are visible. This occurs up until θ = 90 degrees at which point the light would be perpendicular to the incident light. Therefore, no light is visible at θ > 90 degrees. So setting θ = 90 in the equation (so sin(θ) = 1) gets n = 5.15625. This means that 5 total spots are visible (as the 6th spot is going to be after 90 degrees).

Hope this helps
thank you for explaining this to me !!! you really help
Mrs boss
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
5 either side of the central (n=0) so the correct answer is 11
therevenger778
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
why
Ethanity007
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by therevenger778)
why
The n calculated is the order of maxima. There are 2 first order, 2 second order so on and so forth. If qn were to ask max order, the answer would be 5. But this qn ask for the total no. of spots. So answer would have bee 11 (theres only 1 zeroth order, the straight thru).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (13)
29.55%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (17)
38.64%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4.55%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4.55%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (3)
6.82%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
13.64%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.27%

Watched Threads