Emmaszdance18
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hello! I have an offer from surrey for psychology, however i just want to get some student views about the university- even if you don't study psych, i'd appreciate your general views about accommodation, the uni, teaching etc. Also, what are some negatives / bad points about the university? - I do not care about the nightlife really. Is the mental health/ disability team helpful?
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Emmaszdance18)
Hello! I have an offer from surrey for psychology, however i just want to get some student views about the university- even if you don't study psych, i'd appreciate your general views about accommodation, the uni, teaching etc. Also, what are some negatives / bad points about the university? - I do not care about the nightlife really. Is the mental health/ disability team helpful?
Hi there

It's great to you have received an offer for Psychology!

To start off with ill talk a little bit about accommodation. There is different accommodation bands that range from cheapest (A) to the more expensive band F. When you apply for accommodation you can put down your preference on what band you would like and that way can choose a room depending on the finances you have. Although the preferences aren't guaranteed there isn't much price difference between lower priced bands compared to higher bands. Please see this link for more information and prices: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation. As for second year accommodation, renting from a private landlord is expensive however I believe that's the case in most university towns. As long as you manage your money, loan etc then you should be able to rent from a private landlord. If not then you can always apply for uni accommodation again or the university can help you find accommodation I went through the university to find my home from second year as the university managed some properties. This was a bit cheaper than renting from a landlord and the deposit was only £250. Unfortunately the university managed properties will not be running from this year however they can help you in terms of looking at contracts, supporting you when looking for accommodation, things like that.

As for food shopping, there is a Tesco nearby and usually I spend about £20 on a food shop each week which isn't too bad. As long as you're being smart with your money then you should be able to have enough finances for the week. My maintenance loan didn't cover my accommodation costs so I did find a part time job to give me some extra money and also enabled me to make new friends outside of university.

As for transport, the University is about a 20 minute walk from Guildford town centre and 10 minute bus journey which has a variety of shops and many restaurants! My favourites are Positano and La Casita, so if you end up in Surrey make sure to check these out. These restaurants are affordable and really nice! There is also the chains of restaurants like Zizzis, Wagamamas, Nandos, Five Guys etc, so there is a huge variety with alot of international cuisine too. What I loved about Surrey is that the Uni isn't far from London. It is about a 34 minute train journey making trips to London quick and efficient. There is also a big Tesco that is about a 3-5 minute bus journey or 10 minute walk so it is easy to pick up your shopping for the week. The buses do come very regularly as there is a service that goes straight through the accommodation to university and to town. I have found it easy to get around on food or by bus without a car! As for shops, like I said there is a variety from high end, to normal high street shops. I

As for nightlife, there is a nightclub on campus called Rubix which is always putting on great events each week. With COVID Rubix has been put on hold, however hopefully it will make a return soon! The town centre night life is quieter compared to other unis however is still a good fun environment
I have felt really safe in Guildford, I would always make sure to go home with friends and the bus drivers were all very friendly and made sure we go home safe as there is a night bus that runs through campus meaning we can get home form nights out safely.

When it comes to academia in the Psychology department, the department has always maintained a high standard of teaching and support. I feel as though I am really benefitting from the teaching here and learning new things. The lecturers have always been quick in helping me. They also have contact hours which you can attend and ask them any questions you may have. Although this is in the Psychology department, I am sure the teaching and support in your department would be the same! I had around 13 contact hours a week in year one, I liked this as I had time to do my own thing, to study and also to work a part time job to earn some money. My lecturers use a range of PowerPoint slides but incorporate videos and questions to keep us engaged, I like this as it keeps my interested The labs in the Psychology department are really new and up to date allowing us to access the most recent equipment and psychological technologies. The library has is massive with 4 floors allowing you to find a quiet place to study. For other support around the uni, there is a health and wellbeing centre which can help with any needs such as sexual health, mental health or any queries you may have. There is also a Career service team that can help with CVs and cover letters and even interviews. The Centre of Wellbeing is there to help you with mental health and you also have a personal tutor that you can talk too

If you also look at these two links you will be able to delve deeper into the psychology department and look at the facilities and equipment that will be available to you if you come to Surrey:
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/school-psychology
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/school-psyc...-and-equipment

Furthermore if you are unsure about studying Psychology then see this link for 5 reasons why you should https://www.surrey.ac.uk/news/five-r...chology-surrey

I hope this helps and give you some more information about Psychology here at Surrey! Feel free to ask any questions you may have

Becca
Googley_eyes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi. I have an offer from Surrey for MSci Biomed and had the same questions. I’ve decided to not go to Surrey, mainly because the course isn’t 100% what I’m looking for, and I’ve heard several bad things about the way the uni is taking on students faster than they can build and accommodate, just to make money.

I live in Surrey so I know that the area is really expensive, but when I had an open day there everyone I met did seem really nice, especially the head of my degree. If the majority of staff are as friendly as her then it should be good.
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Emmaszdance18)
To introduce myself – I’m Joao, an Economics student from the University of Surrey on placement at Defra (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs).

I completely understand your hesitation for which university to choose, but I can assure you that our students mental health is on top of our priorities.Peer supporters have been trained by the Wellbeing and Welfare Department to provide a non-judgemental listening and support service to all Surrey students. They are all students at Surrey and genuinely care about you and want to listen, support and guide you in any way they can to help make your university experience the best it can be! Also, Surrey is known to put a lot of emphasis on the social life of students and always care about how you spend your free time at university. The student union offers more than 140 societies based on any hobbies and interests students have and clubs for all kinds of sport that a student might want to take up.

During my first year, I spent a lot of time training as part of the University’s rowing team. Surrey has amazing sports facilities and coaches, something which is reflected in our success at national and international competitions, which included three gold medals during that season. If you eventually decide coming to Surrey, you should consider joining. Coming to Surrey has exposed me to experiences I would have never lived if I had studied at home in Portugal. The University offers many sports activities both for those who want to compete at a semi-professional level and those who just want to stay fit.

I think this may help you.

More than 140 societies and clubs to join:
https://blogs.surrey.ac.uk/bulgariab...clubs-to-join/

Joao
Economics
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Googley_eyes)
Hi. I have an offer from Surrey for MSci Biomed and had the same questions. I’ve decided to not go to Surrey, mainly because the course isn’t 100% what I’m looking for, and I’ve heard several bad things about the way the uni is taking on students faster than they can build and accommodate, just to make money.

I live in Surrey so I know that the area is really expensive, but when I had an open day there everyone I met did seem really nice, especially the head of my degree. If the majority of staff are as friendly as her then it should be good.
Hi there!!

It's great to hear you have received an offer form Surrey for MSci Biomed Try not to listen to the bad things, every university will have it's pros and cons and based on those you can choose the right one for you! You also want to make sure that the course is what you're looking for because if it's not you might not enjoy the course and that in turn affect your degree. I am glad you enjoyed your open day and met the head of the Bio Med degree! All staff are so lovely and very accommodating so I am really pleased that it came across on the open day!

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Becca (2nd Year Psychology Student)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (14)
14.43%
I need help researching courses (8)
8.25%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.19%
I need help with my personal statement (40)
41.24%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
23.71%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.06%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.12%

Watched Threads