The Student Room Group

Getting motivated

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get back on track with uni work as this semester I am really struggling to get going and get motivated. I've had to move back home this semester so I don't really have an appropriate study space like at all and as well as that, I just spend each day doing the same thing and keep telling myself "tomorrow I'll start my work" but just never do. I'm just so stuck in this cycle I've got myself in and I'm unsure how to get out of it.

Any help would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by marliejx
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get back on track with uni work as this semester I am really struggling to get going and get motivated. I've had to move back home this semester so I don't really have an appropriate study space like at all and as well as that, I just spend each day doing the same thing and keep telling myself "tomorrow I'll start my work" but just never do. I'm just so stuck in this cycle I've got myself in and I'm unsure how to get out of it.

Any help would be appreciated :smile:

Hi, Its tough at the moment with everything going on and if you have had to move back home instead of being at uni, so don't feel down about it! I would start by splitting your work into a priority and non-priority list, so assignments that have to be done vs typing up notes that can be done at a later time. Hopefully being able to visualise what you have to do will help push you to start, it also means you wont have to try and remember everything you have to do!

Next start on the first thing on your priority list, maybe do 20 minutes of work first, so reading the assignment brief and then take a short 5minute break to make a drink or get some water, then go back and do 25 minutes and have a 5 minute break after that.. keep doing 25 minute studying and 5 minute breaks for as long as you can. Hopefully you get used to knowing you will have a break and 25 minutes isn't actually that long and you end up not needing or wanting that 5 minute break!

I would also figure out when you work best, if your a morning person or a night person or an afternoon person! For example I know my best working hours are between 3pm and 7pm which isn't much but I leave all of the harder things for between those hours and just spend time getting organised the rest of the time!

Just remember the more you tick off of your to-do list the more time you will have time to relax and do things you want to without feeling guilty! On that note maybe add in rewards so whenever you finish a piece of work you get to do something fun or buy something?

Hope this helps! Good luck!
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest