Social Work placement

Watch
Cake Addict
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey, is anyone else on here currently on placement and struggling with it??

I find myself feeling constantly overwhelmed and wanting to give up.

Any advice ? I really need it
Kingston University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Cake Addict)
Hey, is anyone else on here currently on placement and struggling with it??

I find myself feeling constantly overwhelmed and wanting to give up.

Any advice ? I really need it
Hi,

I'm not doing social work so it may be a bit different, but I have definitely struggled with my teaching placements before.

Placements can be taught, but they are there to get you used to the reality of what it will be like to work when you have finished your degree. You'll get good placements and bad ones, but don't let a bad placement put you off. I've debated quitting uni altogether because of a bad placement before, but it does get better. You will find one that you enjoy and if you don't then it may be easier when you aren't a student. At the end of the day there is a lot of pressure on us as students to be at the same level as our placement mentors, but we are still learning. When you finish your placement, you will have so much knowledge and you'll be prepared with so many more vital skills. I take my bad placement as a blessing because it gave me more skills than a good placement would have. It made me more patient and allowed me to learn how to control certain behaviour. I just try to remind myself that there are good days and bad days with any job and I enjoy doing what I do so just crack on with it and tomorrow is a new day.

Keep going!! You've got this.

- Verity
Cake Addict
Rep:
?
Thank you verity! This was so useful.

I’ve decided to take each day as it comes. I know it will be tuff but the end goal is to qualify xx
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm also not social work but on teaching placements currently. I imagine the constraints of covid have a big impact on what you're doing. And if you can, think how much of what you are frustrated with currently has been aggravated by the context of this year. Then consider how similar or different your experience might have been in 2-3 years time. I'd imagine the impact of covid on vulnerable families is profound and will continue to be so years after the face masks and hand sanitiser are done away with. So consider what will and won't remain within the social Work sphere as the rest of society moves on from the pandemic
Cake Addict
Rep:
?
Thanks so much for replying.

Hopefully as more people get vaccinated, we will have some normality so that should ease the pressure a little bit.
Kingston University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Cake Addict)
Thank you verity! This was so useful.

I’ve decided to take each day as it comes. I know it will be tuff but the end goal is to qualify xx
No worries! Good luck with your career x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (133)
4.93%
Uncertainty around my education (401)
14.86%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (300)
11.12%
Lack of purpose or motivation (379)
14.04%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (122)
4.52%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (163)
6.04%
Loneliness (230)
8.52%
Financial worries (100)
3.71%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (110)
4.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (123)
4.56%
Lack of real life entertainment (142)
5.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (237)
8.78%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (259)
9.6%

Watched Threads