The Student Room Group

Edi / QMUL / York for Law (Graduate Entry)

Hello! I'm a fourth-year student completing a Scottish MA in Linguistics and English Language at The University of Edinburgh and am due to graduate in spring 2021 with, hopefully, a 1st - though that depends on how my dissertation pans out lol

While I'm not entirely sure what I'm planning to do post-graduation (there are some Master's programmes I'm keen on), I'm very interested in pursuing Law as an option; specifically, I'm interested in EU law, public (especially criminal) law, international law, Jurisprudence, and human rights law. I applied to Edinburgh, Queen Mary, York, and Cambridge for a Senior Status/Graduate Entry LLB and have now received decisions from all four. I'm aware of the GDL route and I've absolutely considered that route, but I'm not sure if I want to practice law or work in law academia/research, so I'd rather do a degree than the diploma.

Unfortunately, I was rejected from Cambridge (though that was entirely expected!), but have received conditional offers from my other three choices. Edinburgh is probably my top pick at the moment, but I wanted to get some advice/other points of view on the matter before I make any decisions!

Briefly, these are my thoughts/impressions on the three:

EDI: I love the city and am more than happy to spend another couple of years here! I know it's considered an overall good university and as far as I can tell, the law school has the same reputation. Obviously the administration leaves much to be desired at times (especially when it comes to mental health), but I can't imagine other universities are much better? A bit of a downside is the programme being in Scots Law, but I don't mind too much since I'm sure there are ways into EU jurisdictions or LLMs with Scots Law.

QMUL: I've been to London many times, have some family/family friends there, and really enjoy the city as whole, though I'm not uber-familiar with East London/Mile End. Honestly, I would've preferred to apply to UCL or King's, but the Graduate Entry options were limited and I don't want to do more years than I have to! QMUL seems to do well in league tables (specifically with law), but I've heard/seen nothing but bad things about the location and reputation of the school, so I'm a little weary and honestly just a bit confused about the animosity towards it.

YORK: Definitely the city I'm least familiar with, though I've visited twice and it seems lovely. I know the programme is built around PBL (Problem-Based Learning, in case someone doesn't know!), which I'm a little divided on, but it sounds like an interesting and potentially very fruitful way to learn law if executed well. The campus seems a bit removed from the city centre - especially compared to what I'm used to do with Edinburgh - but I'd like to hear what a current/former student has to say on that because I could be misinterpreting the map!

I've done quite a bit of looking into league tables and the programmes themselves, though I figure it's still useful to hear what the reputations are of each law school and the universities overall! I think my main questions are:
-- Of the three, which law school is the most prestigious?
-- Is the location of Queen Mary as awful as some people seem to think?
-- And just generally, which would you pick?!

Sorry for the essay, but just wanted to make sure all the information is present - thanks so much in advance to anyone who replies!! :h:
(edited 3 years ago)
i haven't got a clue but maybe post this somewhere else and you may get more replies.

Wack it in some random active law chat bro

Quick Reply