manlikedabilz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I will be starting an entry level position in a local accounting firm next week. Any advice?
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by manlikedabilz)
I will be starting an entry level position in a local accounting firm next week. Any advice?
Learn quickly, maintain attention to detail/work carefully, and work fast.

It will feel robotic at first, but the main reason is because you don't have the experience or the skills for the more complicated stuff (not that it's rocket science). Even when you do have the skills, it's always more about the experience than anything else.
DonDuck
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by manlikedabilz)
Firstly, congratulations on the position!

Accountancy can be a very rewarding career and can open the door to lots of opportunities. It doesn’t necessarily have to be restricted to the obvious paths such as audit - there are lots of other roles such as transaction services, corporate finance and tax for which an accountancy qualification will stand you in good stead.

I don’t know your level (are you a school leaver who has never studied accountancy before, or a recent graduate with an accountancy degree etc.) but I would say one of the main things to do early on is to make a good impression.

Your new colleagues know you’re coming in as a trainee and your knowledge on day 1 will be limited or non-existent. They won’t think any less of you if you don’t know something or have to ask for help. What is important though is to be enthusiastic and to try to learn and pick up things as quickly as possible.

If your new colleagues are taking the time to explain something to you, be engaged. One of the best ways to do this is to ask questions - not only will this make you come across as interested in the topic matter, it will enhance your understanding. Making notes while people are explaining things is also a good idea.

MindMax made a very good point that you may find some elements of the job monotonous and robotic. Don’t let this get you disheartened. You have to walk before you can run and part of that is building a solid foundation of knowledge and getting good at doing the simple things well. It goes without saying, but attention to detail is a very good quality to have. Try and work efficiently but at the same time, there’s no point in spending 20 minutes on a task, rushing it, and making silly mistakes when you could spend 30 minutes and produce something that is a higher standard.

You will make mistakes - we all do - but when you do make mistakes, try your best to learn from them and not repeat them. If you are learning from your feedback this will be noticed by your colleagues in a positive way.

All in all, it’s important to be as confident as you can be, whilst also remaining humble and being aware of what you don’t know. You’ll most likely be working with some of experienced people who are fantastic to learn from - be like a sponge and soak up all that knowledge!

Lastly, study well for your exams. Your employer will be paying to sponsor you through your qualification so you should pay them back by putting the effort in. Ultimately, in doing so you are keeping your employer happy and investing in yourself. The effort is totally worth it when you finish them and can call yourself a qualified accountant.
manlikedabilz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thank you
Btw I’m a school leaver post A-levels
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (155)
42.82%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (53)
14.64%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (146)
40.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
2.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed