lilyhundre
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I would like to try and get grade 7 and above in everything. I am year 9 I have picked my options the subjects I am doing is English literature English language maths higher paper combined sciences PE coaching food and nutrition geography religious studies geography citizenship ( which is like politics/ law) and french. I don’t understand how to revise properly any tips as I really do want to do well! Thanks for reading
Kumaa1995
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Ripping my response from another thread!

Gather a collection of resources that you'll refer to and use as study material, this could be anything from BBC Bitesize, Examination board websites (especially; past papers, marking schemes, and examiner reports- These will allow you to look at past exam papers, and any marking schemes so you can mark your own work or see examples of what is a suitable answer, examiner reports delve more in-depth than the marking scheme by highlighting where students go wrong and lose marks- e.g. poor use of technical language/vocabulary), and s-cool, and to name a few.

Aside from that; Just make sure you have good resources and find a study method that works for you- Be it flip/revision cards, videos, or just reading through the text. I personally set a given topic or set of topics that I would cover on a given day, I would revise on these, then the following day early on I would test myself on the topics from the previous day before covering the topics I set for that day to initially cover.
MayaThePapaya04
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hello! I'm in year 12 and took a few of the same subjects!

Food and Nutrition - 7
My teacher was evil and hated me -> coursework is a big part of this GCSE!!! Suck up to them and do all the work on time!
Memorise key words, try flashcards. A lot of the questions are stupidly easy and just common sense, like describing the 'all in one' method for a cake (literally just putting all the ingredients in a mixing bowl together and mixing them 'all-in-one')
Be able to spell staphylococcus aureus

English Literature - 8 (I should've been given a 9, teacher assessed grades really messed me up)
Practice questions like you wouldn't believe. Every paragraph of the book could be a possible essay question.
Memorise key lines that can be applied to multiple themes and situations.
The 'Snap revision guides' for basically every book are incredible. They're like £4 each and are really good for summaries and revision
Force yourself to like the poetry section. It's painful, but you'll get through it someday

English Language - 8 (also should've had a 9)
Read a lot of different types of books. Keep a dream journal - it sounds unorthodox, but it helps you have a wealth of original stories you can draw on and helps learn to think entire stories through before writing them down!. A good part of the exam is creative writing, and the prompts can be quite weird. The grater the range of genres you read, the more ideas you'll be able to have. I ended up with a notebook full of original stories that i had written pre-exam, and it was impossible for there to be a prompt I wasn't prepared for.
Get familiar with sentence structures and word categories.

Combined Higher Sciences - 8-8
I have absolutely no idea how i got a good grade for this subject. My teachers were absolutely terrible.
Flashcards, Practice questions, teach the concepts to your parents - it helps reinforce the information.
Hit your head with the textbook hard enough that the words magically transfer. 100& legit.

Higher maths - 8 (and Further maths, 8)
PRACTICE QUESTIONS!!! do SO MANY questions. Maths is a skill, you have to do it to get better at it.

Religious studies -9
I hated this subject so much, but it was mandatory because I went to a catholic school. Summary sheets, Flashcards, And lots of highlighters.

In summary, practice questions and past papers are so important I can't ever put enough emphasis on them. Flashcards are really useful -> there's 2 types, {one side has questions, other side has answers} or {miniature summaries of topics}.

I didn't do french, but i know a few people who took spanish and they all said that using the language consistently and as much as possible is what helps you learn it. Walk around your house and call things by their french name, say things like 'i am picking up this {item}' in french and maybe consider joining a few online chatrooms for people who learn languages // language exchange websites. Talking with french people will make your ability much greater.

i know 2 people who took geography, and they said it was ridiculously easy. Just remember the main case studies.

Good luck
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
The main thing with revision is to use your time wisely. Most people don't learn well just by reading the textbook, for example, so that's a waste of time. On the other hand, quizzing yourself on what you know, doing practice questions and memorising what you get wrong are both ways you can make the most of your time. HOWEVER, you're in year 9 and so it's really too early to revise! For now, focus on doing your hmk to a high standard, taking good notes in class and making sure you understand everything your teacher says (and asking questions if not). If you want to do extra then you can research topics that interest you in more detail, or for French you could learn extra vocab, for example.

Adding to what was said above:
French:
Do practice translations (then mark them and revise vocab and grammatical structures you didn't know), talk to yourself to get used to forming sentences spontaneously, learn vocab and even talk to a penfriend in the language - any way you use it will help! Listening to music and TV shows in French is also going to help, as long as you try to pick out the words you know rather than just reading subtitles! As they'll help tune your ear to the language and to the grammatical structures!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
13.89%
I need help researching courses (5)
6.94%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.56%
I need help with my personal statement (30)
41.67%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (18)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.78%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.17%

Watched Threads