AlexGraham98
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I’m currently employed but all through school and before employment I’ve always been extremely interested in criminology/psychology all I do daily is watch crime docs and forensic docs and read about serial killers behaviour and crimes and it’s always been a passion of mine, I’ve never got into it but I feel like I want to change and go for it. Any recommendations on what to start out with?
puj_a
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AlexGraham98)
Hi, I’m currently employed but all through school and before employment I’ve always been extremely interested in criminology/psychology all I do daily is watch crime docs and forensic docs and read about serial killers behaviour and crimes and it’s always been a passion of mine, I’ve never got into it but I feel like I want to change and go for it. Any recommendations on what to start out with?
if you feel like you should do it, I'd suggest you to go for it. I'm in my last year of studying psychology and its been great. Before you start tho get a general idea of the history of psychology itself and the most popular studies like Bowlby's attachment theory, Zimbardo's Stanford prison experiment. These theories will help you understand it and will give you an insight on psychology.
AlexGraham98
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you for your reply, what would u say the best way to start to get into it is? College first?
greg tony
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi Alex,

My advice would be to research roles first, prior to undertaking any further study unless you want to do it purely for your own interests. The reason for this is that what you see on TV is often a false representation of reality. For you info I worked in a psychology role (Assistant Psy) within the forensic system (prisons and in community) and it is nothing like what most believe it will be like. I am not sure what roles you are considering, but some of the key psychological roles in prisons are often Forensic Psychologists or Clinical Psychologist. However, they often operate in evaluative roles, i.e. formal reports of risk for parole hearing etc. Both roles take many, many years and I would hate for you to do all the work to realise the role is not anything like what you would like (this happens so regularly hence my warning).

I am more than happy to give you more of my limited experience in forensic settings if you would like, good luck with your plans,

Greg
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I think it's important to get a realistic view of what working in Forensic Psychology or Criminology is actually like before making a decision. As the poster above me has commented, what you see on TV is often very, very different to the day to day reality of the above roles. I can't speak for Criminology as I've never studied it but FP is noting like Mindhunter, CSI, Criminal Minds or the like, or what you'd see in documentaries. The number of serial killers in UK prisons or forensic hospitals is very low so not much attention is focused on them - FP is all about rehabilitation, risk assessments, carrying out interventions, research and training.

But if you do decide to pursue a career in FP, you'd need an undergraduate degree accredited by the BPS, a Masters degree in FP, then further postgraduate training in the form of either a Professional Doctorate, the BPS Stage 2 qualification or a PGD.
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi AlexGraham98
I am currently doing my MSc in Psychology, and psychology can be a really tough climb, particularly in areas involving educational or clinical as they require doctorate level study. it sounds like you are interested in the forensic psychology side, this article might be of interest https://www.allpsychologyschools.com...chology-myths/

You might be interested in the Psychology/Criminology combined honours degree at Arden University. There are campuses in Manchester, Birmingham, and London for blended learning, or you can do the course 100% online instead. I'm doing my Psychology course there and I am having a great time. Why not check it out? The distance learning option would allow you to study around your job https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/unde...ogy-psychology

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.8%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.28%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.52%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (23)
17.29%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed