moo314
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Just wondering if anyone has done an F2 post in Haematology and could share some experience of what this is like? I am currently in the process of ranking my jobs in the East Yorkshire region. I'm interested in oncology and have seen some F2 jobs in haematology and just wondered if anyone knew what this would involve?

Thanks in advance! :-)
paracrinoid
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by moo314)
Just wondering if anyone has done an F2 post in Haematology and could share some experience of what this is like? I am currently in the process of ranking my jobs in the East Yorkshire region. I'm interested in oncology and have seen some F2 jobs in haematology and just wondered if anyone knew what this would involve?

I personally haven't but several of my friends have, so I heard about their experiences. They had a fair bit of inpatient ward work, albeit with only a relatively small number of patients in this particular hospital. They had quite a bit of SHO on call stuff as well, not only covering haem/onc inpatients but also being ready to clerk incoming emergency patients, patients known to oncology already with neutropaenic sepsis etc..

It sounds like they got to see some pretty interesting and complex medicine, so if you're interested in oncology it's probably a good experience to have!

Maybe try and get it as the first rotation in FY2, and you could use your experiences in an ST1 ACF application (if that's your sort of thing). Otherwise, if you're applying post IMT, it doesn't matter too much when the rotation is.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by moo314)

I did a CMT job in haematology in a district general hospital, and as said your responsibilities are (but not limited to):
- general medical on-calls, depending on the hospital
- covering haematology in-patients
- covering haematology patients coming to the day case unit (e.g. bone marrow aspiration - you may well not be doing this, venesection)
- going to the lab sometimes to look at blood films, this is quite cool
- potentially covering oncology in-patients
- potentially going to clinic

I really liked my time as a haematology SHO, but obviously it depends on the team / the hospital!
moo314
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you for your replies! Really helpful and appreciated 😁
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In our teaching hospital you help look after the ward, but with lots of senior input as the patients can be very complicated and they had a lot of patients on multiple wards. Out of hours you cover haem, oncology and infectious diseases (what I called the 'fever specialties').
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (4)
50%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (2)
25%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (1)
12.5%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (0)
0%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (0)
0%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
12.5%

Watched Threads