The Student Room Group

Physics question

abcf
Reply 1
I know that the vertical component at t=0 is 0 and at t=3.4s it has a positive value. But Is this a straight line or curved ?
Original post by papie
I know that the vertical component at t=0 is 0 and at t=3.4s it has a positive value. But Is this a straight line or curved ?

Hint: What does the gradient of a velocity-time graph represent?
Original post by papie

As soon as the ball is fired, a *somewhat constant* gravitational force acts on the ball, pulling it downwards.

This means that the velocity increases, but it increases steadily (more importantly, it increases by 9.81 m/s per second).

This should tell you that the line would be a straight line, and the slope would in fact be the acceleration due to gravity (a constant).
Reply 4
Original post by Hallouminatus
Hint: What does the gradient of a velocity-time graph represent?

thanks that helped me out.
Reply 5
Original post by qwert7890
As soon as the ball is fired, a *somewhat constant* gravitational force acts on the ball, pulling it downwards.

This means that the velocity increases, but it increases steadily (more importantly, it increases by 9.81 m/s per second).

This should tell you that the line would be a straight line, and the slope would in fact be the acceleration due to gravity (a constant).

thanks for the explanation. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by papie
thanks for the explanation. :smile:

I always have problems with these graph questions. I can't figure out if the line is going to be straight or curved.
Reply 7
Original post by papie
I always have problems with these graph questions. I can't figure out if the line is going to be straight or curved.

Here is a last one. :P
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by papie
Here is a last one. :P

What parts were you able to solve and what do you have a confusion in? Perhaps post your thoughts here and we’ll guide you :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by qwert7890

I always found these questions given to students to be odd and confusing. For example, without the air resistance, the object could conceivably just continue to accelerate to increasingly higher velocities until it impacts the ground. This was actually similar to a question asked on stack about whether a terminal velocity existed on the moon, since it had little to no atmosphere to create the drag force:
https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/320608/terminal-velocity-on-the-moon-is-it-possible-and-how-long-would-it-take

It also suggests that the projectile component would continue to move in the x-direction with the initial horizontal speed. It is even taught like this:
https://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/vectors/Lesson-2/Horizontal-and-Vertical-Components-of-Velocity

Now don't get me wrong, I am aware assumptions had to be made, but I always thought it would be better to teach us students by giving us a value of drag in Newtons, say D=10N D = 10N, to work with. This way, at least conceptually, the problem relates better to physical intuition.

Probably the most difficult thing I found to get my head around is that the acceleration is constant. So I then considered to then just work on the basis of Newton's First Law - that a body moving at constant velocity has a balance of forces. It then becomes easier to recognize that one of the forces is the acceleration due to gravity and the other is just the drag, which at this stage students would assume is constant for simplicity. The term g, at least close to the surface of the Earth, remains constant, so if the mass is fixed, the gravitational force due to gravity is approximately constant!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 0le
I always found these questions given to students to be odd and confusing. For example, without the air resistance, the object could conceivably just continue to accelerate to increasingly higher velocities until it impacts the ground. This was actually similar to a question asked on stack about whether a terminal velocity existed on the moon, since it had little to no atmosphere to create the drag force:
https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/320608/terminal-velocity-on-the-moon-is-it-possible-and-how-long-would-it-take

It also suggests that the projectile component would continue to move in the x-direction with the initial horizontal speed. It is even taught like this:
https://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/vectors/Lesson-2/Horizontal-and-Vertical-Components-of-Velocity

Now don't get me wrong, I am aware assumptions had to be made, but I always thought it would be better to teach us students by giving us a value of drag in Newtons, say D=10N D = 10N, to work with. This way, at least conceptually, the problem relates better to physical intuition.

Probably the most difficult thing I found to get my head around is that the acceleration is constant. So I then considered to then just work on the basis of Newton's First Law - that a body moving at constant velocity has a balance of forces. It then becomes easier to recognize that one of the forces is the acceleration due to gravity and the other is just the drag, which at this stage students would assume is constant for simplicity. The term g, at least close to the surface of the Earth, remains constant, so if the mass is fixed, the gravitational force due to gravity is approximately constant!

True, I sometimes feel that they teach us seemingly ‘unrealistic’ stuff to make it easy on us, but don’t highlight the actual scenario. Any physicist would know that the vertical component in reality would not accelerate constantly, and the horizontal component would never really be constant either.

Not only in physics but even in other subjects like Chemistry. I remember drawing orbits around the nucleus as rings (the Bohr model) and understand the entire existence of atoms like that...until I realised that’s not what it is lmao.

They tend to simplify things for our understanding and our level. Whether this is good or bad is debatable, but for now at A Levels you need to make a lot of assumptions!

Quick Reply

Latest