Parents protest outside school because of cartoon of Muhammad

Watch
caravaggio2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The teacher has been named on local social media and had to leave home and go into hiding under police protection.
Last edited by caravaggio2; 3 weeks ago
Starship Trooper
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
I would point out the distinction between actual liberals and the queer American perversion of the term (meaning SJW leftist lunatic) two very different things
Whilst there is a difference I don't think it's actually as big as you make out. They're two sides of the same coin albeit the left side is much more ugly than the right.

The only "Liberals" who as far as I'm aware have a coherent policy on this is geert Wilders and to a lesser extend Farage both of whom are considered apostates by both sjw/ and most "actual" liberals. That is, if you want a laissez-faire society and neoCon foreign policy it would probably be a good idea NOT to bring in tens of thousands of people that are very much against that.

(For the record I don't like or support Wilders)
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by caravaggio2)
The teacher has been named on local social media and had to leave home and go into hiding under police protection.
Yes, how awful for him and his young family of four children. Fancy having to put under police protection just for offending a few parents - the worst a teacher would normally expect would be a stern email from the Head. Thank Goodness the suspended teacher has been supported by the Department of Education, even if his own headteacher has fed him to the wolves to protect his own back (or head).
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Starship Trooper)
Whilst there is a difference I don't think it's actually as big as you make out. They're two sides of the same coin albeit the left side is much more ugly than the right.

The only "Liberals" who as far as I'm aware have a coherent policy on this is geert Wilders and to a lesser extend Farage both of whom are considered apostates by both sjw/ and most "actual" liberals. That is, if you want a laissez-faire society and neoCon foreign policy it would probably be a good idea NOT to bring in tens of thousands of people that are very much against that.

(For the record I don't like or support Wilders)
In what way are either of the far/hard right wannabe autocrats liberal exactly? After all, ones opinion on markets is but one facet of liberalism.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
In what way are either of the far/hard right wannabe autocrats liberal exactly? After all, ones opinion on markets is but one facet of liberalism.
How is geert Wilders a 'far right autocrat'???

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geert_Wilders
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by caravaggio2)
Very concerning indeed, but I am glad to see DfE stepping in where the school did not.
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Yes, how awful for him and his young family of four children. Fancy having to put under police protection just for offending a few parents - the worst a teacher would normally expect would be a stern email from the Head. Thank Goodness the suspended teacher has been supported by the Department of Education, even if his own headteacher has fed him to the wolves to protect his own back (or head).
On does wonder why he has to go into hiding, after all, isn't Islam the religion of peace..? People (like the head teacher) are too quick to ''apologise'' and condemn, and we all know they do it not because they mean it, but because of societal pressure. There should be no apology whatsoever, the teacher was showing an image which is legal, allowed and protected by freedom of speech, and I believe he was talking about the Charlie Hebdo incident which makes the use of that particular image even more pertinent. It doesn't matter that Muslims aren't allowed to draw Muhammad or other people, we don't and shouldn't adhere to those laughable rules.
Genaro_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It is a sad state of affairs that so many are willing to kowtow in this manner to a religion, especially one of that nature. We, all of us, ought to feel able to talk about religion, discuss it, doubt it, and ridicule it without the fear of consequences. That ought to be an absolute. The fact that people and institutions are not standing up to this sort of behaviour is worrying.
Azagthoa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This is a clear case of islamophobia and incitement on the teacher's part. It is right that he should be sacked and face prosecution. This goes far beyond free speech and into the realms of hate speech. He knew that it would upset and offend his muslim pupils yet he did it anyway.
caravaggio2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Batley is a grooming rape gang town
Now a teacher has to go into hiding with his family over a cartoon
I wonder what this will do to community cohesion?
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
One of the protesters outside the school has been quoted saying "We would not like any form of extremism, any extremist viewpoints, to be taught to children." :facepalm2:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-56523179

Freedom of expression is "extremism" :lol:
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Azagthoa)
This is a clear case of islamophobia and incitement on the teacher's part. It is right that he should be sacked and face prosecution. This goes far beyond free speech and into the realms of hate speech. He knew that it would upset and offend his muslim pupils yet he did it anyway.
Because no-one has ever made an error of judgment before.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Of course it can be. What about preachers of Jihad; neo-Nazis, revolutionay Marxists?
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Of course it can be. What about preachers of Jihad; neo-Nazis, revolutionay Marxists?
I think the clear difference here it does not fall into the category of either hate speech or incitement.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think the clear difference here it does not fall into the category of either hate speech or incitement.
I think I will wait for the inquiry.

You understand Catch 22; by claiming to be mad to avoid cambat, you prove your sanity.

You are exercising free speech if you don't claim to be exercising free speech but if you do claim to be exercising free speech, then it will almost certainly be an act of incitement.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
I think I will wait for the inquiry.

You understand Catch 22; by claiming to be mad to avoid cambat, you prove your sanity.

You are exercising free speech if you don't claim to be exercising free speech but if you do claim to be exercising free speech, then it will almost certainly be an act of incitement.
There won't be an inquiry, just as there was no inquiry into the homophobic protects outside Birmingham primary schools.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
One of the protesters outside the school has been quoted saying "We would not like any form of extremism, any extremist viewpoints, to be taught to children." :facepalm2:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-56523179

To play devils advocate, do you consider Holocaust denial to be 'freedom of expression'?

Most Muslims disagree.

I'm not saying that's a good thing or they're right.
Last edited by Starship Trooper; 3 weeks ago
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
There won't be an inquiry, just as there was no inquiry into the homophobic protects outside Birmingham primary schools.
The teacher is suspended. There will have to be an inquiry.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
The teacher is suspended. There will have to be an inquiry.
I thought you meant proper inquiry like Grenfell is currently getting not just the school "investigating".
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I thought you meant proper inquiry like Grenfell is currently getting not just the school "investigating".
There will be difficulty preventing it snowballing. The Head seems to lack judgment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (144)
4.87%
Uncertainty around my education (435)
14.7%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (333)
11.25%
Lack of purpose or motivation (411)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (137)
4.63%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (179)
6.05%
Loneliness (255)
8.62%
Financial worries (109)
3.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (121)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (135)
4.56%
Lack of real life entertainment (159)
5.37%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (261)
8.82%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (280)
9.46%

Watched Threads