The Student Room Group

Parents protest outside school because of cartoon of Muhammad

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Azagthoa
This is a clear case of islamophobia and incitement on the teacher's part. It is right that he should be sacked and face prosecution. This goes far beyond free speech and into the realms of hate speech. He knew that it would upset and offend his muslim pupils yet he did it anyway.

How is it Islamophobia? He's a religious teacher - they teach about different religions.

Could I go to Somalia and start preaching the gospel? Is that Christianaphobia?

Why are cartoons of the Christian faith allowed?
Original post by nulli tertius
There will be difficulty preventing it snowballing. The Head seems to lack judgment.

I imagine he thought if he appeased the protesters they would just go away but failed to look at the previous examples of this happening notably Samuel Paty. The protesters want their perceived pound of flesh so to speak.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
On does wonder why he has to go into hiding, after all, isn't Islam the religion of peace..? People (like the head teacher) are too quick to ''apologise'' and condemn, and we all know they do it not because they mean it, but because of societal pressure. There should be no apology whatsoever, the teacher was showing an image which is legal, allowed and protected by freedom of speech, and I believe he was talking about the Charlie Hebdo incident which makes the use of that particular image even more pertinent. It doesn't matter that Muslims aren't allowed to draw Muhammad or other people, we don't and shouldn't adhere to those laughable rules.

I agree, it's disgraceful that he and his family should have be under police protection because there is a genuine danger of violent repercussions. I don't believe the headteacher is genuine in his apology, more likely scared of upsetting the bullies too.
So it turns out they have had to close the school because of the protests and revert back to remote learning while the protesters are threatening to be there everyday till the teacher is sacked.

The police are of course doing nothing, probably so they don't seem "racist".
Original post by DiddyDec
So it turns out they have had to close the school because of the protests and revert back to remote learning while the protesters are threatening to be there everyday till the teacher is sacked.

The police are of course doing nothing, probably so they don't seem "racist".

Everyone is scared and I don't blame them
Original post by harrysbar
Everyone is scared and I don't blame them

I don't blame them either, I would not want to be a teacher trying to get into a school with a load of angry protesters outside.

As much as I advocate both protest and freedom of expression I would blanket ban protesting outside schools because all it does is negatively impact children's ability to learn as was done in Birmingham over the homophobic protests.
I don't blame them either, I would not want to be a teacher trying to get into a school with a load of angry protesters outside.

As much as I advocate both protest and freedom of expression I would blanket ban protesting outside schools because all it does is negatively impact children's ability to learn as was done in Birmingham over the homophobic protests.

Yes and it's sad to hear that the school has been forced to revert to online learning again, to the detriment of all the childrens education.

Surely they're breaking lock down rules and will all be hit with £200 fines?
I imagine he thought if he appeased the protesters they would just go away but failed to look at the previous examples of this happening notably Samuel Paty. The protesters want their perceived pound of flesh so to speak.

But that is only the half of it. The unions would be going ballistic even without a baying mob at the gates. The Head has thrown this teacher under a bus before investigating who knew (and who ought to have known) what about this planned lesson.

In the modern world, individual teachers aren't supposed to be able to wake up and decide today is a good day for teaching the complete works of David Icke.
It will be interesting to see where it ends up. There was a community spokesman on the radio instructing every Muslim parent in the country to demand they see what their children are being taught in such lessons.🙄
But that is only the half of it. The unions would be going ballistic even without a baying mob at the gates. The Head has thrown this teacher under a bus before investigating who knew (and who ought to have known) what about this planned lesson.

In the modern world, individual teachers aren't supposed to be able to wake up and decide today is a good day for teaching the complete works of David Icke.

That is why I said "investigating" earlier, this would have been in the approved teaching materials and if it wasn't then questions should be raised about that.

Original post by caravaggio2

They are but the police won't do anything.
It will be interesting to see where it ends up. There was a community spokesman on the radio instructing every Muslim parent in the country to demand they see what their children are being taught in such lessons.🙄

Remember, every parent has the right to remove their child from RE lessons. There has always been more parental power over RE.

Is it surpriiising with the working over Cressida **** received?
That is why I said "investigating" earlier, this would have been in the approved teaching materials and if it wasn't then questions should be raised about that.

Thats ridiculous. Anyone would think they were scared of them.. I think if they were women in a park they would be getting hit with the fines.
Is it surpriiising with the working over Cressida **** received?

They don't have to go in with batons or kettle them, just issue the fines.
They don't have to go in with batons or kettle them, just issue the fines.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/sarah-everard-vigil-fines-police-coronavirus-law-b1819252.html

We can only hope this happens.

I suspect he will also have trouble with the Union.

Fine them and let the courts deal with it, retrospective fines will me much harder to issue.
This is all premeditated, they knew very well the response from the parents. A good little ‘side-show’ to distract from the main event in Bristol.
This project would not have got off the drawing board if it concerned Moses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending