Starship Trooper
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JOSH4598)
The thing is, people did not vote for Brexit based on the economic argument. Critics constantly measure the 'success' of Brexit based on trade prosperity when the bigger argument was perceived sovereignty and immigration. I said this the other day on another thread, but I feel the vast majority of people who voted Brexit knew they would not be substancially better off when it comes to economics.

I appreciate some people may actively oppose Brexit but you can't measure the success of something when only looking at a narrow range of factors.
PRSOM
The remoaners (what's left of them) will never get it. Pic related

Name:  Screenshot_2021-02-26-22-00-32-77_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  241.8 KB
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Your views sound quite Soviet, they were keen on keeping all of their 'citizens' inside their country. Not since the English Civil War have British people been dictated to about needing permission to go abroad to live.
This you’ve misunderstood me. I’m definitely for freedom of movement and I despise that this has been taken from me against my will.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
This you’ve misunderstood me. I’m definitely for freedom of movement and I despise that this has been taken from me against my will.
Oh sorry I thought you were being ironic.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Expecting to have freedom of movement is a middle class entitlement? Why should I be restricted due to Brexit know-it-all’s who have chosen to remove my freedom of movement?
Yes it. You should accept that in a democracy we elected a government committed to ending free movement.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Yes it. You should accept that in a democracy we elected a government committed to ending free movement.
PRSOM.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
An electorate that were tremendously misinformed about what ending that free movement would actually mean by the looks of things.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
An electorate that were tremendously misinformed about what ending that free movement would actually mean by the looks of things.
Most people don't live in a foreign land or have a second home. I doubt they care.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Most people don't live in a foreign land or have a second home. I doubt they care.
They don’t, but they have jobs, that last time I checked relied on an economy that hasn’t shut itself out and erected major barriers with its closest trading partner. But hey who, our halfwit electorate voted for this, my jobs safe, so who am I to judge?
Ascend
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The power of low information voters is something to celebrate now, it seems. Because democracy? :dontknow:
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This. There has been no downsides worth complaining about.

Brexit has been a tremendous success: We got blue passports, ended the EU gravy train , triggered millions of liberals and got the most right wing government since Thatcher (albeit that's not saying much and they need to move more to the right - they can start by giving Nigel Farage a well deserved knighthood)
Last edited by Starship Trooper; 2 weeks ago
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
They don’t, but they have jobs, that last time I checked relied on an economy that hasn’t shut itself out and erected major barriers with its closest trading partner. But hey who, our halfwit electorate voted for this, my jobs safe, so who am I to judge?
This is a debate about freedom of movement, not brexit at large. We could have had brexit and kept freedom of movement, the Tory manifesto committed not to and it won a plurality of votes.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Starship Trooper)
This. There has been no downsides worth complaining about.

Brexit has been a tremendous success: We got blue passports, ended the EU gravy train , triggered millions of liberals and got the most right wing government since Thatcher (albeit that's not saying much and they need to move more to the right - they can start by giving Nigel Farage a well deserved knighthood)
Farage will probably never get a knighthood. He led a revolt against the party even if it was one many members supported.

Technically I did have to go without balsamic vinegar for a few weeks due to brexit delays however those dark days have passed.
Last edited by Rakas21; 2 weeks ago
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
He betrayed the party.
???

The only party he betrayed was reform when he gave up hundreds of seats in 2019 for nothing.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
???

The only party he betrayed was reform when he gave up hundreds of seats in 2019 for nothing.
Edited above, poor terminology.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Brexit has been a tremendous success: We got blue passports,
Mine is red. And says "European Union" on the cover.

ended the EU gravy train
It is still running, but the UK no longer benefits, so we have to eat our overcooked beef dry.

triggered millions of liberals
In the same way people are "triggered" when they are made redundant or are defrauded of their life savings? I guess so.

and got the most right wing government since Thatcher (albeit that's not saying much and they need to move more to the right - they can start by giving Nigel Farage a well deserved knighthood)
They aren't really right wing. They have no ideology other than "what's in it for me?"
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This is a debate about freedom of movement, not brexit at large.
I am forbidden from even leaving the country. Brexit fail!

We could have had brexit and kept freedom of movement, the Tory manifesto committed not to and it won a plurality of votes.
People voted Tory because they are xenophobes, idiots, or both. Most Tory voters wouldn't recognise freedom of movement if it gave them a job in Germany.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This is a debate about freedom of movement, not brexit at large. We could have had brexit and kept freedom of movement, the Tory manifesto committed not to and it won a plurality of votes.
And it won those plurality of votes based off voters that had absolutely no idea they were voting to make themselves poorer.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
Mine is red. And says "European Union" on the cover.

It is still running, but the UK no longer benefits, so we have to eat our overcooked beef dry.

In the same way people are "triggered" when they are made redundant or are defrauded of their life savings? I guess so.

They aren't really right wing. They have no ideology other than "what's in it for me?"
Me too for now. But I've seen the new one and it's great!

It's still running (give it a while) but we're not paying for it. We'll be in a better position when the wretched thing collapses.

If brexit has completely ruined you in such a way I can only presume you're a complete failure. My sympathy is for the people/ businesses struggling due to the lockdown not Brexit.

Agreed , hence my disclaimer about "not saying much" though there's still some improvement even if it's superficial and not anyway near as awesome as Trump (for now)
You can say the same about any politicians being in it for themselves. Another shortfall of Democracy...
yeetouttawindow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
they were informed
they didn't listen and brushed it off project fear
yeetouttawindow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Me too for now. But I've seen the new one and it's great!

It's still running (give it a while) but we're not paying for it. We'll be in a better position when the wretched thing collapses.

If brexit has completely ruined you in such a way I can only presume you're a complete failure. My sympathy is for the people/ businesses struggling due to the lockdown not Brexit.

Agreed , hence my disclaimer about "not saying much" though there's still some improvement even if it's superficial and not anyway near as awesome as Trump (for now)
You can say the same about any politicians being in it for themselves. Another shortfall of Democracy...
is that it now sit here and hope everyone else becomes worse off than us
Last edited by yeetouttawindow; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (129)
4.9%
Uncertainty around my education (390)
14.83%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (293)
11.14%
Lack of purpose or motivation (369)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (120)
4.56%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (161)
6.12%
Loneliness (223)
8.48%
Financial worries (97)
3.69%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (108)
4.11%
Exposure to negative news/social media (121)
4.6%
Lack of real life entertainment (140)
5.32%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (229)
8.71%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (250)
9.51%

Watched Threads