JWilson02
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hey guys, I have no idea where to start with this question - any ideas would be great.

Examine how impacts of seismic activity are severely worsened by the water cycle (12 marks)

cheers!
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have two different ideas for you that you could talk about.

Firstly, you could focus the response of this question towards tsunamis and the interaction of tectonic movement within the oceans. In your first paragraph detail the interactive processes between tectonic plate boundaries at destructive / convergent plate boundaries where the oceanic plate subducted beneath the continental plate, accumulation of tension / pressure etc and how the release of pressure causing an undersea earthquake also causes the seafloor to displace upwards and this creates a tsunami. The case study examples you can refer to include the 2011 Tohoku earthquake / tsunami in Japan and the Fukushima nuclear power plant disaster and how offshore hazards become onshore hazards. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_T...ke_and_tsunami

Another example you could talk about is the eruption of Mount Nevado Del Ruiz in Colombia, 1985. The pyroclastic flows from the eruption and volcanic ejecta / tephra material melted the glaciers / ice sheets on the mountainside, which combined to create extremely hazardous and viscous lahar and debris flows. You can talk about how water or snowmelt gives the debris flow more potential energy or similar. Importantly, the lahars destroyed the village of Armero which was not evacuated due to the lack of forewarning and prediction (though this isn't typically relevant to the question but an interesting case study nonetheless about hazard risk management). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armero_tragedy

Overall, focus your language on the interaction and combination of processes and how the water cycle and tectonic processes combine together and result in dangerous physical hazards, such as viscous mud flows and lahars or undersea earthquakes and seafloor displacement, marks for the question are about applying knowledge to combine the two different topics together .
Last edited by Ðeggs; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What uni admissions terms did you/do you find confusing?

Adjustment (111)
14.27%
AAM (Additional Assessment Materials) (84)
10.8%
Changed course offer (35)
4.5%
Clearing (55)
7.07%
Conditional offer (11)
1.41%
Deferral (32)
4.11%
Ucas Extra (90)
11.57%
First Generation or First in Family (25)
3.21%
Point of Entry (53)
6.81%
Self-release (112)
14.4%
Tariff Point (62)
7.97%
Unconditional offer (11)
1.41%
Withdrawal (23)
2.96%
I understood all of the language used in the application process (68)
8.74%
I found another term confusing (let us know in the thread!) (6)
0.77%

Watched Threads