Why doesnt diffusion happen when osmosis happens

Watch this thread
zurgextoitzke
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
If the water moves by osmosis from say 0 kPa to -100kPa, why doesnt whatever has lowered the water potential, like glucose for example, diffuse from the -100kPa to the 0kPa water across its concentration gradient? Or does it?
nnth
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zurgextoitzke)
If the water moves by osmosis from say 0 kPa to -100kPa, why doesnt whatever has lowered the water potential, like glucose for example, diffuse from the -100kPa to the 0kPa water across its concentration gradient? Or does it?
isn't osmosis a type of diffusion? one which involves water?

this website explains the differences quite clearly between osmosis and diffusion:

https://www.thoughtco.com/difference...ffusion-609191
Last edited by nnth; 1 year ago
username5398004
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
1) Osmosis is a type of diffusion.
2) We aren't allowed to give answers on here (TSR rules), but think about the fact that osmosis occurs across a partially permeable membrane and the size of the gaps in the membrane. This picture might help
Name:  Osmosis.png
Views: 27
Size:  29.0 KB
zurgextoitzke
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by ItsStarLordMan)
1) Osmosis is a type of diffusion.
2) We aren't allowed to give answers on here (TSR rules), but think about the fact that osmosis occurs across a partially permeable membrane and the size of the gaps in the membrane. This picture might help
Name:  Osmosis.png
Views: 27
Size:  29.0 KB
Its not a question im doing revision and im just curious lol. I think i get it now cuz of the partially permeable membrane stops the glucose moving back. I should probably get back to revising lmao
username5398004
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zurgextoitzke)
Its not a question im doing revision and im just curious lol. I think i get it now cuz of the partially permeable membrane stops the glucose moving back. I should probably get back to revising lmao
Oh ok. Yeah, glucose is a large molecule, so it can't fit through the membrane, meaning the only way to reduce the gradient is for osmosis to occur. Hope it helped. Good luck!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (48)
49.48%
The paper was reasonable (37)
38.14%
Not feeling great about that exam... (8)
8.25%
It was TERRIBLE (4)
4.12%

Watched Threads