The Student Room Group

Why do I add 2 here (balanced equation)

Zn + AgNO3 ----> ZnNO3 + Ag

This is what I consider to be a balanced equation of zinc mixed with silver nitrate to make zinc nitrate and silver.

My textbook is saying this is the balanced equation

Zn + 2AgNO3 -----> Zn(NO3)2 + 2Ag

Where did the 2 and ^2 (on the end of nitrate

Please help me
Reply 1
Valencies of zinc and the nitrate are not the same
Original post by pineappletreed

This is what I consider to be a balanced equation of zinc mixed with silver nitrate to make zinc nitrate and silver.

Please help me

Check zinc nitrate in your version of the formula again. Is the formulae correct?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3

Please help me

Yh Zn has a 2+ charge whilst NO3 has a 1- charge meaning that for every one Zn you need two NO3, and from there you balance the equation out

Please help me

NO3 has a 1- charge but Zn typically forms 2+ ions. So you need two of NO3 to make a 2- charge and have the whole thing balance out. Then the two in front of AgNO3 just accounts for that extra NO3. Hope that helps!
Original post by francisab03
NO3 has a 1- charge but Zn typically forms 2+ ions. So you need two of NO3 to make a 2- charge and have the whole thing balance out. Then the two in front of AgNO3 just accounts for that extra NO3. Hope that helps!

It does! Thank youu
Original post by M1_Z
Yh Zn has a 2+ charge whilst NO3 has a 1- charge meaning that for every one Zn you need two NO3, and from there you balance the equation out

Thankss
Original post by user342
Valencies of zinc and the nitrate are not the same

Got it. Thanks :smile:
Original post by summerberry19
Check zinc nitrate in your version of the formula again. Is the formulae correct?

No lol. I didn't take into account charges but thanks to the replies I understand now :smile:
No lol. I didn't take into account charges but thanks to the replies I understand now :smile:

No problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest