Year12Studentt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I applied to study PPE at King’s College London, but I recently received an alternative offer of just Politics although I feel this programme is not for me.

I am really interested in their Political Economy programme. I think it is in UCAS extra (if anyone can confirm this, that would be great), so does that mean there is more room on this degree? I have sent a message to the admission team - this is the only possible form of communication atm due to COVID (i.e. no calls) - but they take around 4 weeks to respond. I’m worried that by that time all places will be gone.
Anon12345678987
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Year12Studentt)
I applied to study PPE at King’s College London, but I recently received an alternative offer of just Politics although I feel this programme is not for me.

I am really interested in their Political Economy programme. I think it is in UCAS extra (if anyone can confirm this, that would be great), so does that mean there is more room on this degree? I have sent a message to the admission team - this is the only possible form of communication atm due to COVID (i.e. no calls) - but they take around 4 weeks to respond. I’m worried that by that time all places will be gone.
If they don’t offer it rn, you’ll still have a chance during clearing. I know a few people who chose political economy during clearing hopefully they get back to you soon though
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Ring the main switchboard and ask them to transfer you to someone in admissions or request a call back.

Staff have phones when they work at home
Year12Studentt
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Ring the main switchboard and ask them to transfer you to someone in admissions or request a call back.

Staff have phones when they work at home
I did this and was told in no uncertain terms that there is no way to get through to admissions, apart from the online portal (which takes about a month to receive a reply).
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I did this and was told in no uncertain terms that there is no way to get through to admissions, apart from the online portal (which takes about a month to receive a reply).
Maybe ask to be put through to someone by name :flute:
Name:  8EC2944B-B8B1-4866-81F6-2605E5CF147F.jpeg
Views: 27
Size:  143.5 KB

A month for a response to an email isn’t acceptable.

Tbh if it were me it would raise serious red flags about the way the university treats their students.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

It does say the application status is "Open" suggesting that they do still have vacancies in this course but I have no idea how you can get them to consider your request any quicker. That is a very frustrating situation that they take 4 weeks to respond to a request, doesn't bode that well for their attitute towards their students.
Year12Studentt
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Maybe ask to be put through to someone by name :flute:
Name:  8EC2944B-B8B1-4866-81F6-2605E5CF147F.jpeg
Views: 27
Size:  143.5 KB

A month for a response to an email isn’t acceptable.

Tbh if it were me it would raise serious red flags about the way the university treats their students.
I tried all of this today, and I was given the same answer - admissions queries can only be discussed on the King’s Apply portal. It looks like I’ll have to wait (hopefully places on the Political Economy degree do not go)
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I tried all of this today, and I was given the same answer - admissions queries can only be discussed on the King’s Apply portal. It looks like I’ll have to wait (hopefully places on the Political Economy degree do not go)
At least you have the reassurance of knowing no one else will be able to get through either
dogester
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Political Economy & PPE weren't on clearing last year and they were both the fullest they've ever been with 100+ people on each course. You can check the amount of intake Political Economy receives each year, here: https://www.admissionreport.com/king...itical-economy. It's always been popular and I reckon, from seeing its larger intake last year, it's gonna be full again this year.

I'm not sure about years before, I never recalled it being on clearing as Political Economy particularly always been a popular course at King's with near 100 people doing it every year (PPE has only become so popular recently). But obviously if it's not as popular as the few years before then hopefully it'll be on clearing.

If it gives you any sanity, Politics and Political Economy as courses are relatively similar. In year two particularly, Politics students can take the majority, if not most of the Economics modules that Political Economy, PPE and Economics students can take. The big difference in year one between Politics and Political Economy is that we do Quantitative Methods rather than Statistics for Political Scientists, and Principles of Economics rather than History of World Politics. Other than that, we do the same modules, like Intro to Political Theory and Fundamentals of Politics. But, in year two, you can still venture into Economics if that's what you wish, and get a BSc degree.

I wanted to change from PE to PPE in my application, and I almost tried through King's Apply, but I then decided that it's almost irrelevant because Politics, PE & PPE are extremely similar, particularly in year two and three. The courses almost merge. But I still reckon it's worth a shot to attempt by contacting King's Apply, but I wouldn't rely on Political Economy being open for clearing. I highly doubt it will be. It's almost always been more popular, or as popular as PPE.
Year12Studentt
Rep:
?
(Original post by dogester)
Political Economy & PPE weren't on clearing last year and they were both the fullest they've ever been with 100+ people on each course. You can check the amount of intake Political Economy receives each year, here: https://www.admissionreport.com/king...itical-economy. It's always been popular and I reckon, from seeing its larger intake last year, it's gonna be full again this year.

I'm not sure about years before, I never recalled it being on clearing as Political Economy particularly always been a popular course at King's with near 100 people doing it every year (PPE has only become so popular recently). But obviously if it's not as popular as the few years before then hopefully it'll be on clearing.

If it gives you any sanity, Politics and Political Economy as courses are relatively similar. In year two particularly, Politics students can take the majority, if not most of the Economics modules that Political Economy, PPE and Economics students can take. The big difference in year one between Politics and Political Economy is that we do Quantitative Methods rather than Statistics for Political Scientists, and Principles of Economics rather than History of World Politics. Other than that, we do the same modules, like Intro to Political Theory and Fundamentals of Politics. But, in year two, you can still venture into Economics if that's what you wish, and get a BSc degree.

I wanted to change from PE to PPE in my application, and I almost tried through King's Apply, but I then decided that it's almost irrelevant because Politics, PE & PPE are extremely similar, particularly in year two and three. The courses almost merge. But I still reckon it's worth a shot to attempt by contacting King's Apply, but I wouldn't rely on Political Economy being open for clearing. I highly doubt it will be. It's almost always been more popular, or as popular as PPE.
Thank you. I am aware that Political Economy is never in clearing, but it is currently in UCAS Extra (as it has been in previous years) whereas PPE is not. I assume this means there are some spaces still vacant on the programme.

I much prefer the Political Economy programme as I can choose to take the BSc, whereby I can study microeconomics, macroeconomics and econometrics all of which are not available on the Politics degree.
dogester
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you. I am aware that Political Economy is never in clearing, but it is currently in UCAS Extra (as it has been in previous years) whereas PPE is not. I assume this means there are some spaces still vacant on the programme.

I much prefer the Political Economy programme as I can choose to take the BSc, whereby I can study microeconomics, macroeconomics and econometrics all of which are not available on the Politics degree.
Yep I understand, Political Economy is definitely more wide and there is much more of a variety of Economics modules in year two and three. For eg: Politics students can still do Econometrics, but cannot do Macro- and Microeconomics.

I hope you're able to change! But I still don't believe its the end of the world, Politics at King's is a solid degree. However, it seems you want to major in Economics, so in that sense I don't believe Politics will give you the satisfaction you want of your degree.
Mina.03
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by dogester)

Could i ask if you are aware of how much maths is actually involved in the political economy degree. I know A-level maths is not required but I’m assuming maths will definitely be involved if it has economics in it. I don’t do maths A level and wanted to know how much maths i would be doing if I did this degree?
Fedecrim
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Hi, what grades do you have predicted? Just to know what you can be rejected with, for PPE at King’s. Cus I think I might apply to that next year.
Year12Studentt
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Fedecrim)
Hi, what grades do you have predicted? Just to know what you can be rejected with, for PPE at King’s. Cus I think I might apply to that next year.
A*AA. I think it was incredibly competitive this year after many people deferring and the fear of grade inflation.
Year12Studentt
Rep:
?
UPDATE: PQ harrysbar

King’s has just responded to my email after three weeks, in which time the Political Economy became full. Is there nothing that I can do now to be able to change course? If an offer holder does not set King’s as their firm/insurance, could a place become available?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

King’s has just responded to my email after three weeks, in which time the Political Economy became full. Is there nothing that I can do now to be able to change course? If an offer holder does not set King’s as their firm/insurance, could a place become available?
That's so annoying.

PQ may know better but I'm not aware there is anything more you can do now but make the decision between accepting Politics at Kings or the course you actually want to do at a different uni. Do you have any other good options at different unis?

Do you know why Kings didn't accept you for their PPE course originally? Like I wonder if you don't have A level maths which may make them feel Politics is a more suitable course for you than one involving Economics? If it were me I would probably accept a PPE offer at a different uni if that's the course you really want to do but it's personal choice obviously.
Year12Studentt
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
That's so annoying.

PQ may know better but I'm not aware there is anything more you can do now but make the decision between accepting Politics at Kings or the course you actually want to do at a different uni. Do you have any other good options at different unis?

Do you know why Kings didn't accept you for their PPE course originally? Like I wonder if you don't have A level maths which may make them feel Politics is a more suitable course for you than one involving Economics? If it were me I would probably accept a PPE offer at a different uni if that's the course you really want to do but it's personal choice obviously.
I do have other unis, but King’s is my best one so far - I’m still waiting on UCL.

In their message they gave a strong signal that my application was unsuccessful due to my GCSEs (8766666655) even though I met their Maths requirement (usually a 7, I have an 8). I do have A-Level Maths, so I doubt this was the reason.

I was mainly set on Politics and Economics, I would’ve probably dropped Philosophy after year 1.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Universities factor in no shows and drop outs to their numbers. If they wont place you on the course now then that isn't going to change.

I would strongly recommend not accepting an offer for a course you don't want to study in the hope that you could transfer. You might want to ask Kings if they would change their decision if you were to start in 2022 instead of 2021 (or if you reapplied next year). And then use their reply to decide what is most important to you in deciding where to study.
Last edited by PQ; 1 week ago
dogester
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mina.03)
Could i ask if you are aware of how much maths is actually involved in the political economy degree. I know A-level maths is not required but I’m assuming maths will definitely be involved if it has economics in it. I don’t do maths A level and wanted to know how much maths i would be doing if I did this degree?
In year 1, we do Principles of Economics and Quantitative Methods which are the maths-y modules. Principles of Economics simply follows the CORE textbook and is more Economics than maths-based, while Quantitative Methods is very maths-based. We delve into statistics deeply, hypothesis testing etc, and also focus on calculus/differentiation/optimization etc...

However the course is diverse, and if you do not want to do maths in the degree you can simply choose to do a BA in year two and then there is no reason to pick a maths module, and you can focus on political science or political theory, or more theory based economics. Also, the exam for Quantitative Methods seems relatively easy, I didn't do A-levels but from what it seems I'd guess it was equivalent to AS-level maths and statistics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.93%
Uncertainty around my education (378)
14.78%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (283)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (359)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (119)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.06%
Loneliness (218)
8.52%
Financial worries (94)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.69%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (224)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (241)
9.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise