omar2189
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi,

I’ve recently received an offer from both UCL and Imperial. Whilst I am very thankful to be in this position, it does of course leave me with a really tough decision.

I was just hoping for peoples input regarding this topic, either from their own personal experience from the unis for medicine or even just through their own research. Any help is greatly appreciated.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Imperial all the way baby

I was in the same situation and it was a no brainer to firm Imperial as I much preferred their couse. I know people at UCL who are enjoying it but I think I made the right decision as it seems much more interactive here and we have placements in first and second year.

Edit: I am horribly biased yes :rofl:
Declaration of interests: Imperial medic, contractually obliged to disparage UCL, as part of ICSM Boat once discussed trying to sink UCL sculls as part of our race plan
Last edited by becausethenight; 3 weeks ago
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by omar2189)
Hi,

I’ve recently received an offer from both UCL and Imperial. Whilst I am very thankful to be in this position, it does of course leave me with a really tough decision.

I was just hoping for peoples input regarding this topic, either from their own personal experience from the unis for medicine or even just through their own research. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Biased comment alert above :rofl:

Just to balance a few things - UCL has some world-class affiliated hospitals, like the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Moorfields Eye Hospital etc.

I don't know about their teaching though, so hopefully a UCL medic can come and explain!
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Biased comment alert above :rofl:

Just to balance a few things - UCL has some world-class affiliated hospitals, like the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Moorfields Eye Hospital etc.

I don't know about their teaching though, so hopefully a UCL medic can come and explain!
Hey I've acknowledged it now
We have a major trauma centre (Mary's) and Charing Cross does neurosurgery!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
Hey I've acknowledged it now
We have a major trauma centre (Mary's) and Charing Cross does neurosurgery!
PRSOM, all med schools should have a neurosurgical / trauma centre (due to teaching hospital status) but some will have to share (e.g. Newcastle and Sunderland; Aston and Birmingham) just because they are sooo near!

And I am sure Imperial will have a dedicated eye hospital in one of its affiliated hospitals too. It's just not Moorfields! :lol:
omar2189
Rep:
?
Imperial all the way baby

I was in the same situation and it was a no brainer to firm Imperial as I much preferred their couse. I know people at UCL who are enjoying it but I think I made the right decision as it seems much more interactive here and we have placements in first and second year.

Edit: I am horribly biased yes :rofl:
Declaration of interests: Imperial medic, contractually obliged to disparage UCL, as part of ICSM Boat once discussed trying to sink UCL sculls as part of our race plan
Thanks so much for the reply!

I completely understand your bias, I’d probably be too.

If you don’t mind answering, what year are you currently in and how have you found the PBL side of the course to be? Also what kind of disruptions have you seen to placements as of late due to the pandemic?
Pyruvic Acid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’m not sure whether to firm Imperial or UCL. Any advice is much appreciated
Medic_20
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Pyruvic Acid)
Happy to answer any questions about UCL as I’m alumni
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Pyruvic Acid)
Read the above :lol:
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks so much for the reply!

I completely understand your bias, I’d probably be too.

If you don’t mind answering, what year are you currently in and how have you found the PBL side of the course to be? Also what kind of disruptions have you seen to placements as of late due to the pandemic?
No worries

I'm currently a first year (AnnaBananana is a second year and AortaStudyMore is a final year if you've any questions for older students)
I've found the Clinical Skills Integration stuff to be good fun - I like the idea of it and it really helps you make links with the more 'normal' science teaching as it links up (we did a case on COPD around the same time as our cardioresp module for example). The teaching can be a bit patchy in the tutorials but I like the pre- and post-reading as it makes you feel like a proper doctor looking up NICE guidelines and surfing the BNF, plus those research skills are really useful. The exams are fine, assessed group work over zoom is a bit of a drag but we move.

Our placements have all still gone ahead this year which is amazing when many other med schools have cancelled apparently. Our GP placements in 1st year went from a half day in the surgery and then a group meeting in the surgery, to around 1hr in the surgery and a teams meeting, but it was still good fun. I'm salty about the four word total feedback I got after a whole seminar on how we had to really reflect on our feedback, but that's just our GP We have 2 weeks of hospital placement after our exams in May and I'm super excited.
Pyruvic Acid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Read the above :lol:
Haha thanks
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
PRSOM, all med schools should have a neurosurgical / trauma centre (due to teaching hospital status) but some will have to share (e.g. Newcastle and Sunderland; Aston and Birmingham) just because they are sooo near!

And I am sure Imperial will have a dedicated eye hospital in one of its affiliated hospitals too. It's just not Moorfields! :lol:
But this is a major one!! UCL is the only London uni that just has a boring non-major trauma centre! :lol:

We have Western Eye Hospital...famous alumni include Bashar Al-Assad

More Random Imperial Hospital Facts now I'm on Wikipedia: Mary's has all the royal births, Hammersmith "played a significant role in founding endocrine surgery", and Charing Cross has the largest UK GIC, if anyone cares? (I do and am really hoping for an endo hospital placement there)
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
But this is a major one!! UCL is the only London uni that just has a boring non-major trauma centre! :lol:

We have Western Eye Hospital...famous alumni include Bashar Al-Assad

More Random Imperial Hospital Facts now I'm on Wikipedia: Mary's has all the royal births, Hammersmith "played a significant role in founding endocrine surgery", and Charing Cross has the largest UK GIC, if anyone cares? (I do and am really hoping for an endo hospital placement there)
London and its national hospitals! :rofl:

I am sure they are all very noteworthy and OP should definitely take it into consideration :yes:
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
London and its national hospitals! :rofl:

I am sure they are all very noteworthy and OP should definitely take it into consideration :yes:
"centres of excellence" all :lol:

:yes: and then they will spend all their placements at the Hillingdon
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
"centres of excellence" all :lol:

:yes: and then they will spend all their placements at the Hillingdon
I don't even know if Hillingdon is good or bad :rofl3: It could be an international centre of excellent after all :lol:

We need Medic_20: can you please tell us your experience to balance out all this pre-Imperial bias? :laugh:
Last edited by ecolier; 3 weeks ago
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't even know if Hillingdon is good or bad :rofl3: It could be an international centre of excellent after all :lol:

We need Medic_20 !

Can you please tell us your experience to balance out all this pre-Imperial bias? :laugh:
I mean it is literally currently unsafe to work in, they just can't decide where to put the new hospital! https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ngdon-hospital
But we all hate it because it's the furthest you can get placed from SK :lol:

But yes we need a UCL medic!! Tbf UCL seems much better organised than Imperial, although that's not hard
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
...Tbf UCL seems much better organised than Imperial, although that's not hard
Haha I hope no one from Imperial is here reading this :rofl:
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Haha I hope no one from Imperial is here reading this :rofl:
Yes the thread would become 1000 pages long with people piling on to complain about admin :rofl:

Spoiler:
Show
faculty please don't expel me I don't mean it
omar2189
Rep:
?
(Original post by Medic_20)
Happy to answer any questions about UCL as I’m alumni
Thanks!

I was wondering if UCL has any group assessed work on the course currently, and if so, what is the weighting of it overall/ what are your thoughts on it?

I’d also like to extend this to becausethenight. What is the weighting of your group assessed exams overall?
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks!

I was wondering if UCL has any group assessed work on the course currently, and if so, what is the weighting of it overall/ what are your thoughts on it?

I’d also like to extend this to becausethenight. What is the weighting of your group assessed exams overall?
Two of our modules are assessed with group work in first year - Clinical Skills Integration and Lifestyle Medicine and Population Health - they both count for 20% of the final credits I think but it’s pass fail, so you either pass and get all the credits or fail and get none. If you fail you’d have to resit.

LMAP is assessed via a group podcast and CSI with roughly monthly exams on each case where you answer 10 questions on your own, the same 10 in your team, and then do a group task for 75mins. Both are designed to be practically impossible to fail and historically no one has.

Can’t speak for the other years of the degree though - clinical will be different for sure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (8)
5.03%
Uncertainty around my education (23)
14.47%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (17)
10.69%
Lack of purpose or motivation (23)
14.47%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (7)
4.4%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (10)
6.29%
Loneliness (10)
6.29%
Financial worries (4)
2.52%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (11)
6.92%
Exposure to negative news/social media (8)
5.03%
Lack of real life entertainment (7)
4.4%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (16)
10.06%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (15)
9.43%

Watched Threads