The Student Room Group

Imperial Vs. UCL medicine

Scroll to see replies

@Rainbowrain1 @lkmedic @alevelstudent136 @Jinglesss

I've moved your posts in here as it adresses the UCL vs Imperial debate, so have a read and then hopefully some UCL students will eventually turn up!
Hey everyone. I know this question has been asked a couple of times before but I wanted to just get a more recent view from students who are at both unis.
I've been fortunate enough to get offers from both unis but it's quite difficult for me to come to a final decision on which to take. I'm leaning towards imperial but a lot of people I know say that UCL is much better for the social side, and that medics in imperial don't really do many events. As well as this, I've heard imperial's work load is a lot more in comparison to UCL.

It would be really great if people could clarify these things, and give their pros and cons from experiences. Thanks!
Original post by pingutherat
Hey everyone. I know this question has been asked a couple of times before but I wanted to just get a more recent view from students who are at both unis.
I've been fortunate enough to get offers from both unis but it's quite difficult for me to come to a final decision on which to take. I'm leaning towards imperial but a lot of people I know say that UCL is much better for the social side, and that medics in imperial don't really do many events. As well as this, I've heard imperial's work load is a lot more in comparison to UCL.

It would be really great if people could clarify these things, and give their pros and cons from experiences. Thanks!

I’m at imperial and have a friend at UCL. Our workload does seem higher from talking to him. Events - well you can get involved as little or as much as you want. We have a medic SU at imperial which has their own event, clubs, societies, sports etc, but also access to the events and clubs societies etc at the main ICL SU so there’s plenty of choice. Obviously covid has had a big impact for the last year :frown:
Original post by AnnaBananana
I’m at imperial and have a friend at UCL. Our workload does seem higher from talking to him. Events - well you can get involved as little or as much as you want. We have a medic SU at imperial which has their own event, clubs, societies, sports etc, but also access to the events and clubs societies etc at the main ICL SU so there’s plenty of choice. Obviously covid has had a big impact for the last year :frown:

Hi thanks for your reply. Could I just ask for first and second year, how is the workload for imperial? Roughly how much did you spend each day revising or going through everything and is there a lot of assignments set?
Hi thanks for your reply. Could I just ask for first and second year, how is the workload for imperial? Roughly how much did you spend each day revising or going through everything and is there a lot of assignments set?

It's pretty OK, imo, because we don't have any coursework. It can fel overwhelming because there's a lot of content but what I found hard was getting to grips with the idea of watching a lecture and moving on because you had 2 other lectures and a tutorial that day, rather than trying to go in depth or "really understand it". You get into the pattern of it and there are very few hard deadlines (the only ones I can think of this term were GP project submissions and CSI exams) so you can catch up as and when and work to your own timetable.

I spent roughly 45 mins in the evening doing my Anki and then did some extra revision just before module tests and CSI exams, as well as going to the odd revision lecture.
Original post by becausethenight
It's pretty OK, imo, because we don't have any coursework. It can fel overwhelming because there's a lot of content but what I found hard was getting to grips with the idea of watching a lecture and moving on because you had 2 other lectures and a tutorial that day, rather than trying to go in depth or "really understand it". You get into the pattern of it and there are very few hard deadlines (the only ones I can think of this term were GP project submissions and CSI exams) so you can catch up as and when and work to your own timetable.

I spent roughly 45 mins in the evening doing my Anki and then did some extra revision just before module tests and CSI exams, as well as going to the odd revision lecture.

Thanks that's quite insightful! So what time on a normal day do lectures/tutorials finish? Also just wanted to ask, I've been doing some research on imperial accommodation and have seen each one seems to have its pros and cons. Is there one you would recommend?
Thanks that's quite insightful! So what time on a normal day do lectures/tutorials finish? Also just wanted to ask, I've been doing some research on imperial accommodation and have seen each one seems to have its pros and cons. Is there one you would recommend?

It really depends - the latest is 5pm, the earliest can be 11am! Also you can choose not do do stuff late (or to do it at 9pm) if it's prerecorded.
I've only got experience of one, Pembridge, so all I can really say is that that one's perfectly good :lol: I don't know anyone who just genuinely hates their accomodation.
It really depends - the latest is 5pm, the earliest can be 11am! Also you can choose not do do stuff late (or to do it at 9pm) if it's prerecorded.
I've only got experience of one, Pembridge, so all I can really say is that that one's perfectly good :lol: I don't know anyone who just genuinely hates their accomodation.

Hi thanks again for the reply. Sorry to constantly annoy you with questions but I've just got one more. I've noticed on UCAS track that imperial starts a lot later than any of the other unis I've received offers for (October in comparison to September in other unis). As a result, does holidays tend to be shorter or does imperial finish later than other unis in summer?
Hi thanks again for the reply. Sorry to constantly annoy you with questions but I've just got one more. I've noticed on UCAS track that imperial starts a lot later than any of the other unis I've received offers for (October in comparison to September in other unis). As a result, does holidays tend to be shorter or does imperial finish later than other unis in summer?

No worries :smile:
Imperial doesn’t actually start that much later - Oct 3 compared to Sept 27 for UCL, I think. We do finish later in the summer as we have exams at the start of term 3 followed by a relaxed taught term with placements, while some (most?) med schools do exams a few weeks later and schedule nothing after exams.
Hi, I'm also in this situation and am really torn between UCL and Imperial!
I have a few questions I want to ask about some of the differences I noticed :smile:

Firstly, I heard Imperial medics are only at the south kensington campus for one year and then are sent off to the hospital campuses, which I feel might be a little bit isolating. Also, it would be a shame not to be able to enjoy the beautiful SK area much during those years. Is all the teaching in these years really just at charing cross / hammersmith ? I also heard that a new white city campus is being built, will most of the medical teaching take place there when it is ready? And is UCL similar, or can you stay in Bloomsbury for most of your degree (except during placements of course)?

Additionally, I was watching an imperial med student Q and A, and they mentioned that there were two opportunities to go abroad (during elective period and for research). Are there any opportunities like this at UCL? And if so, how many? (I want to travel as much as possible haha). They also said that you could basically go almost anywhere. Does UCL have particular places you can choose or can you go wherever you like?

Sorry that's a lot of questions, but I'm trying to find the smallest details to choose between since I like both unis so much!
Hey there!

I'm Nitish and I'm a final year Medic at Imperial

Just to add to the Imperial bias, I'd definitely recommend applying to Imperial - I think everywhere has pros and cons but I've really enjoyed my time here and it's been an incredible experience working in some really cool hospitals!

(Plus South Kensington is nicer than Euston)
Original post by diamond narwhal
I have a few questions I want to ask about some of the differences I noticed :smile:

Firstly, I heard Imperial medics are only at the south kensington campus for one year and then are sent off to the hospital campuses, which I feel might be a little bit isolating. Also, it would be a shame not to be able to enjoy the beautiful SK area much during those years. Is all the teaching in these years really just at charing cross / hammersmith ? I also heard that a new white city campus is being built, will most of the medical teaching take place there when it is ready? And is UCL similar, or can you stay in Bloomsbury for most of your degree (except during placements of course)?

Additionally, I was watching an imperial med student Q and A, and they mentioned that there were two opportunities to go abroad (during elective period and for research). Are there any opportunities like this at UCL? And if so, how many? (I want to travel as much as possible haha). They also said that you could basically go almost anywhere. Does UCL have particular places you can choose or can you go wherever you like?

Sorry that's a lot of questions, but I'm trying to find the smallest details to choose between since I like both unis so much!

Hi Diamond Narwhal!

I'm Nitish and a final year medical student at Imperial. So you're right in that we tend to have lectures in South Kensington in first year, and then elsewhere such as Charing Cross in later years. However this is definitely not isolating at all, Hammersmith (where Charing Cross Hospital is) is a very student heavy area - nearly all of my non medic friends lived there due to the affordability compared to South Kensington but the fact that it was still very commutable (20 minutes on the tube). I have a good number of friends from UCL medical school as well, and just like Imperial there tends to be a lot of hospital based teaching in the clinical years so you'll be taught with the other students at that hospital wherever the hospital is.

I think it's important to note that once your clinical years start you may end up staying at the hospital - I know UCL splits this into closer hospitals and then a year of peripheral hospitals (so a UCL friend is currently staying in Luton for a whole year, but she was in closer hospitals the other years) whereas Imperial tends to have a mix of close and peripheral through each year. It's also important to bear in mind that lots of lecture content has been shifted online, and they may choose to keep some of the clinical year lectures online for convenience.

I think the transition to white city campus is planned over a number of years so I'm not sure if there have been any official plans on when/what will be transferred there.

Electives are normally self organised, so you can in theory go anywhere but the length and type is determined by your university. Imperial has been quite flexible in the past, however they've all been cancelled because of COVID at the moment so unsure if they will stay the same once they start up again.
Original post by diamond narwhal

Hey :smile:

Imperial medics spend the first two years primarily based in SAF in South Ken, for lectures and tutorials (note that during COVID this teaching has mostly moved online, so we spend very little time in SK), and travelling to Charing Cross for anatomy and all across West London for placement. I don't think there's any plan to move undergrad teaching to White City, it's mostly labs. In your clinical years at any med school you'll be based at hospitals for placements, not on campus - UCL and Imperial have different teaching hospitals so you can check those out. You'll probably spend your BSc year on campus but it may depend what BSc you do (eg for Imperial's Remote Medicine you normally spend a couple months abroad)

I would be very surprised if UCL doesn't also allow electives abroad (this is pretty much universal) or research placements abroad (as I think these would usually be self-organised and in the holidays).
@becausethenight
I was wondering whether Imperial still does dissections in the new curriculum or is it all prosections now?
Thank you :smile:
Original post by _Mia101
@becausethenight
I was wondering whether Imperial still does dissections in the new curriculum or is it all prosections now?
Thank you :smile:

All prosection!
All prosection!

ah okay, thank you - how do you find it and do you think you would have preferred dissections?
Original post by _Mia101
ah okay, thank you - how do you find it and do you think you would have preferred dissections?

I find it absolutely fine - if anything Anatomy has been my favourite part of the course, which really surprised me!

When I was applying, I figured "eh anatomy is a joke it's 2020 why do we still do this" and really wasn't at all bothered about what unis did, so I didn't really think about it. My feelings now is that it's a very important thing for us to do and it's absolutely crucial that we get that time, and I feel the way Imperial teaches it is really helpful. You can still touch and manipulate the prosections, and get a good sense of how they work; not having to spend time dissecting yourself means that you can focus on learning in the sessions and you don't have to worry that you're messing up the body. It also means the tutors can focus on helping you learn the anatomy, rather than helping you dissect. Personally I don't feel like I'm missing out and I think it's well taught, but I didn't go in desperate to do dissection or with a particular view on it.
Original post by _Mia101

When I started we were told on the offer holder day that we were doing dissection - I only applied to unis that did dissection as I felt it was important. I was very unhappy when we were told three weeks in that it had been removed.

A year and half down the line I actually enjoy our anatomy teaching. Although I don’t have anything to compare it to, when I talk to friends at other med schools who have dissection in their courses, I don’t feel that I’m disadvantaged.
I find it absolutely fine - if anything Anatomy has been my favourite part of the course, which really surprised me!

When I was applying, I figured "eh anatomy is a joke it's 2020 why do we still do this" and really wasn't at all bothered about what unis did, so I didn't really think about it. My feelings now is that it's a very important thing for us to do and it's absolutely crucial that we get that time, and I feel the way Imperial teaches it is really helpful. You can still touch and manipulate the prosections, and get a good sense of how they work; not having to spend time dissecting yourself means that you can focus on learning in the sessions and you don't have to worry that you're messing up the body. It also means the tutors can focus on helping you learn the anatomy, rather than helping you dissect. Personally I don't feel like I'm missing out and I think it's well taught, but I didn't go in desperate to do dissection or with a particular view on it.

okay, thank you! When you put it that way, prosections actually sound more useful. I guess I feel it'd be nice to be have the opportunity to do a bit of it myself. I don't think I'll put too much importance on it though :nah:, as long as the overall anatomy (and other teaching) seems like it'd suit me. :smile:
Original post by AnnaBananana
When I started we were told on the offer holder day that we were doing dissection - I only applied to unis that did dissection as I felt it was important. I was very unhappy when we were told three weeks in that it had been removed.

A year and half down the line I actually enjoy our anatomy teaching. Although I don’t have anything to compare it to, when I talk to friends at other med schools who have dissection in their courses, I don’t feel that I’m disadvantaged.

oh wow, that's a shame :sadnod: - glad you enjoy it though
I guess it's not the most important thing, I mean I think I would prefer dissections (or maybe a mix of the two) but I don't think it's going to be the deciding factor, especially since it doesn't seem to impact how well you learn it.

Do you learn the anatomy in conjunction with lectures? Like if you are learning about the heart in lectures will you do a heart prosection?
Original post by _Mia101
okay, thank you! When you put it that way, prosections actually sound more useful. I guess I feel it'd be nice to be have the opportunity to do a bit of it myself. I don't think I'll put too much importance on it though :nah:, as long as the overall anatomy (and other teaching) seems like it'd suit me. :smile:

That sounds fair enough - it was never something I cared about, but if it's important to you take it into account!
Even at unis that do proesction, there are usually opportunities to get involved with preparing the cadavers in older years, btw.

We do tend to learn anatomy roughly alongside lecture content which works well - the only module this year where we didn't was gastro (one of our anatomy modules was shifted to next year for COVID reasons) and it was definitely harder.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending