Advice for Virgil set text at GCSE?

Watch
mcanning471
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Help!!! I am taking my Latin GCSEs early this year, and I have mocks in 4 weeks! Does anyone have any advice on how to learn the set text???
ladymacbeth182
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
First thing I did was to record myself saying the English translation. I listen to it a few times every week but my mock isn't for ages so I imagine you would probably want to listen everyday?
Our teacher tested us on little sections of our set text once a week when we first learnt it, and I memorised it word-for-word by treating it like a drama script: read a line or two aloud, then recite it again without looking. And once you've memorised one line, see if you can recite more sections without looking, building up the content until you know the whole thing by heart.
I hope this helps! Good luck! x
millycanning
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ladymacbeth182)
First thing I did was to record myself saying the English translation. I listen to it a few times every week but my mock isn't for ages so I imagine you would probably want to listen everyday?
Our teacher tested us on little sections of our set text once a week when we first learnt it, and I memorised it word-for-word by treating it like a drama script: read a line or two aloud, then recite it again without looking. And once you've memorised one line, see if you can recite more sections without looking, building up the content until you know the whole thing by heart.
I hope this helps! Good luck! x
hi!
thank you soso much for the advice you gave, somehow in my final mock I managed to get 100% on the literature paper?! no idea how I managed to do that well but that you so much for the reply, if you had any advice on the language paper I would love to hear it
ladymacbeth182
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by millycanning)
hi!
thank you soso much for the advice you gave, somehow in my final mock I managed to get 100% on the literature paper?! no idea how I managed to do that well but that you so much for the reply, if you had any advice on the language paper I would love to hear it
Well done! For language, I think just make sure you know the vocab and grammar. Maybe try looking at the mark scheme for the grammar identification section (if you're doing the same paper as me??) just so you know what kind of answers they're looking for because I certainly lost a lot of marks in practice papers from not using the precise phrasing they want to hear.

I have my own language paper this afternoon and I'm soooo scared haha. We're in this together. I'm so glad my advice helped, and I hope you have similar success in your language paper!
millycanning
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well done! For language, I think just make sure you know the vocab and grammar. Maybe try looking at the mark scheme for the grammar identification section (if you're doing the same paper as me??) just so you know what kind of answers they're looking for because I certainly lost a lot of marks in practice papers from not using the precise phrasing they want to hear.

I have my own language paper this afternoon and I'm soooo scared haha. We're in this together. I'm so glad my advice helped, and I hope you have similar success in your language paper!
hi! thank you so much - how did your language paper go? xx
ladymacbeth182
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hi! thank you so much - how did your language paper go? xx
way better than expected. No vocab issues, which was good... For the final translation, they put the most difficult sentence first to freak us out I think, but I got over it, and it was pretty easy! Hope yours goes okay too! <3
millycanning
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
way better than expected. No vocab issues, which was good... For the final translation, they put the most difficult sentence first to freak us out I think, but I got over it, and it was pretty easy! Hope yours goes okay too! <3
hey!
im taking my final assessment on Monday and Wednesday and am totally terrified!!!! great to hear yours went well x
ladymacbeth182
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hey!
im taking my final assessment on Monday and Wednesday and am totally terrified!!!! great to hear yours went well x
don't be terrified!!! i'm sure you'll do brilliantly!!! good luck!!! x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (100)
27.17%
England (123)
33.42%
Belgium (29)
7.88%
Germany (40)
10.87%
Spain (8)
2.17%