How to get a grade 9 in Latin gcse?

Watch
mcanning471
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Does anyone have any tips for revision or what to revise to get a 9 in Latin language AND literature GCSE? Would be so so helpful!
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by mcanning471)
Does anyone have any tips for revision or what to revise to get a 9 in Latin language AND literature GCSE? Would be so so helpful!
Which board?
mcanning471
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by Kerzen)
Which board?
OCR I believe
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
https://ocr.org.uk/qualifications/gc...16/assessment/

https://ocr.org.uk/Images/220702-spe...latin-j282.pdf
Robin_ste
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Memorise. Your. Grammar tables.

recite them over and over
puella
puellam
puellae
puellae
Puella
puellae
puellas
puellarum
puellis
puellis

also remember it goes nominative accusative genitive dative ablative and recite that too

that is the single best thing you can do and then after that come up w mnemonics for all your vocab (sounds awful but trust me it works) keep these in a book and just reread them occasionally get ur mates to test you. What do you mean literature??

I got a 9 and this is how I did it...message me if you need any more tips but it all falls into place once you get your grammar tables memorised
Last edited by Robin_ste; 9 months ago
Lotty Ro
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
I completely agree with Robin_ste, it is all about grammar. By the time I took my exams, I had done all of the exercises in both Latin to GCSE books, and I had done many of them twice. I recommend learning all your vocab through memrise or quizlet or a similar website, so you can be certain you know it all.
Another random tip I can give - in your language paper, there is a section where you choose between translation into Latin or grammar questions - you can do both. There is plenty of time in the exam, do both options and they'll mark both and count whichever one you did better on as the mark you got (it's on one of the examiners reports somewhere)
Read the candidate examples and the examiners reports - just take an afternoon really understanding what the exam board wants for you (it's all on the OCR website, have a good explore) and write yourself a plan of all the key things you need to remember for the exam, for example you might write a guide to answering 10-markers and say "quote the text in Latin" or "make at least 5 points". you really want to know what they're looking for.
Other than those, it's just a matter of taking the time to learn your texts (I used flashcards for this) and getting that grammar down
Good luck
tiablakexxx
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
have any of u one the ocr 2019 paper about syclla if so please can u help me with answers
sjdf123
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
https://www.classicstuition.com/
RiviniS48
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
When we did prose literature (we've done Regulus and Germanicus et Piso) my teacher printed it out onto A4 pages with large spacing between lines, so we could translate into English directly below the Latin. I really recommend doing this as I find it makes the translation much neater and easier to refer to later.So we'd have a go at translating a section for homework then the teacher would go over and correct it line by line and then we'd do a Lit Crit (see below) for that section.We broke the whole text down into short sections about 10-15 lines long based on a certain event (e.g. the Roman people's reaction to the news of Germanicus' illness and death, or Plancina's arrival in Rome). We translated then did Literature Critique (Lit Crit) for each of them, based on exam-style questions (e.g. "How does Tacitus make this scene vivid?"). We talked through points to make as a class which were in the three categories Word choice (specific words), Emphatic positioning (promoted adjective or verb in a different place to the usual SOV-subject, object, verb) and Sound effects (alliteration, plosive sounds). I guess it's a bit like analysing in English? Some people annotated on the sheet but I wrote it as bullet points on separate sheets of lined paper and noting the question and lines instead (purely because I know that if I tried to squeeze by horrible handwriting into a tiny area it would be illegible lol)-whatever works for you! I would definitely recommend doing Lit Crit though and then revising from the points you made since there's nothing unseen in the literature exam and it'll likely be one of the sections you did a Lit Crit for that comes up.

Sorry I can't offer any advice for the poetry, we haven't covered it yet in school. Hope this was helpful!
Last edited by RiviniS48; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (29)
6.89%
October 2021 (194)
46.08%
November 2021 (43)
10.21%
December 2021 (56)
13.3%
January 2021 (46)
10.93%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (39)
9.26%