The Student Room Group

Spent £500 on teeth whitening no results?

My dentist offered me whitening for £250 so I decided to take them up on it as why not but I noticed no results so they recommended a different type of whitening which all together adds up to £490 but even after the second bleaching my teeth remained exactly the same colour...what happened? my dentist has said I can’t have anymore whitening treatments within a short amount of time so I have just been sent home -£500 with exactly the same shade of teeth is this normal or what happened? I assumed even people with yellowish teeth would have atleast some result and if they can why am I not seeing results with okay teeth?

Does whitening just not work for some?
What type of whitening was it? Trays that you take home and wear at night or where you sit at the dentists and they shine a light on your teeth?
Reply 2
Both you mentioned ^
Reply 3
Well from my experience, you start to see results after doing it every day for 2 weeks. Whilst ensuring that you aren't drinking any dark liquids. Also, what was the hydrogen peroxide level of the gel? the one I was given was 6%
(edited 3 years ago)
I think you probably should have found out what results they can guarantee before paying.

But i had no idea this was so expensive. I remember they used to advertise strips on TV for like £20.

For £500 id have high expectations. Id contact whoever sold this to you to make sure they fulfilled their obligations.
Original post by Anonymous
Both you mentioned ^

As far as I know, (but maybe google to double check) recently the one with the light is no longer allowed in UK as it needed a too high percentage of Hydrogen Peroxide, which was banned. Therefore any light procedure done now, would either not have enough % of hydrogen peroxide or not be totally legal.... Is it an NHS dentist? Unfortunately the resident tsr dentist is taking a 2 month break at the minute so I can’t consult her on this.

Edit: I checked the NHS website and it mentioned both types but it hasn’t been updated since 2018 so that doesn’t really help :redface: Just thought of @DrTSR can you help?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by heldbygrace
As far as I know, (but maybe google to double check) recently the one with the light is no longer allowed in UK as it needed a too high percentage of Hydrogen Peroxide, which was banned. Therefore any light procedure done now, would either not have enough % of hydrogen peroxide or not be totally legal.... Is it an NHS dentist? Unfortunately the resident tsr dentist is taking a 2 month break at the minute so I can’t consult her on this.

Edit: I checked the NHS website and it mentioned both types but it hasn’t been updated since 2018 so that doesn’t really help :redface: Just thought of @DrTSR can you help?

Original post by Anonymous
My dentist offered me whitening for £250 so I decided to take them up on it as why not but I noticed no results so they recommended a different type of whitening which all together adds up to £490 but even after the second bleaching my teeth remained exactly the same colour...what happened? my dentist has said I can’t have anymore whitening treatments within a short amount of time so I have just been sent home -£500 with exactly the same shade of teeth is this normal or what happened? I assumed even people with yellowish teeth would have atleast some result and if they can why am I not seeing results with okay teeth?

Does whitening just not work for some?

Whitening doesn't always work, though from my experience there are great results in 99% of cases, and even in the 1% it still provides some improvement.

Quick Reply

Latest