The Student Room Group

Is accounting too difficult?

I’m currently studying in my first year of alevels and I do psychology, religious studies and business. I picked these because these are my strong subjects. I have gotten no grade below an A for any of them this year, and for any unis I am applying to a certain subject is not needed for accounting. I really want to be an accountant and to study this at university but have been out off by people saying the maths is basic but then also saying A-level maths really gives you a big advantage? I’m just worried that the course might be too hard since I have no background experience or maths alevel whereas other schools are offered accounting and economics alevels. Will I be fine starting from scratch?
Original post by ellieanne2019
I’m currently studying in my first year of alevels and I do psychology, religious studies and business. I picked these because these are my strong subjects. I have gotten no grade below an A for any of them this year, and for any unis I am applying to a certain subject is not needed for accounting. I really want to be an accountant and to study this at university but have been out off by people saying the maths is basic but then also saying A-level maths really gives you a big advantage? I’m just worried that the course might be too hard since I have no background experience or maths alevel whereas other schools are offered accounting and economics alevels. Will I be fine starting from scratch?

Yes, you don’t necessarily need a maths alevel. For any business related course, maths would be a boost. But I study at accounting and finance at university and I had a business and economic a level. It all depends exactly where you want to apply. But there is no specific a level requirements. Most unis would ask for a level 5 and above in a maths gcse.
Yeah the unis I’m applying to only ask for the certain grade at GCSE I was just wondering would I be at a big disadvantage for not having maths, everyone says it is very difficult. How are you finding accounting?

It's not hard per se in terms of complexity. The thing most people have difficulty getting around is the book entries and why things are presented as they are.
The sort of maths you will need in accounting is basic adding, substracting, dividing, and multiplying. You do occassionally use indices. If you have to do a stats module, then you might need AS Level maths for the stats and possibly decision maths. Other than that, I can't see A Level maths being used at all.

Having said that, you don't even need an accounting degree to get into accounting. Depending on the firm, you can apply with a high grade in any degree and good A Levels. Some firms might insist on using aptitude tests to weed out people though.
Yeah the unis I’m applying to only ask for the certain grade at GCSE I was just wondering would I be at a big disadvantage for not having maths, everyone says it is very difficult. How are you finding accounting?

I wouldn’t say it’s a huge disadvantage, that maths that’s given is straightforward, plus all equations are given. Still I’m in first year so idk if the maths is going to get harder

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending