disgruntledmum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm a parent of a child who applied for Economics BSC back in October. I understand that this year, like last, brings challenges for the admissions team. However, I am astounded at how LSE treats their applicants. Moving their deadline from the end of March to the middle of April was cruel and not acceptable. Particularly in light of the fact that they aren't issuing any offers during the Easter holiday. If I ran my business and treated my clients like you treat yours, I would no longer have any clients left.
You are in fact a business and the students are your clients, they all have to pay fees to attend your university.
With a son at University already, I am amazed at how little students get for their £9000 plus per year.
If admissions staff are under pressure this year then they should perhaps up their game, just like they expect their students to do.
Your lack of thought for the mental health of your applicants is really awful. You are the last place I would want my child to attend. You, by your actions have created a toxic and stressful environment.
I would imagine if your admissions team cannot cope, then how do the rest of your departments perform?
If an offer appears, I will do everything in my power to persuade my child to not attend your university. I am currently trying to convince them to withdraw, so that they can firm one of the 4 other offers from Universities who clearly meet their responsibilities to the mental health of their students.
Admissions - have a thought for what you are doing to students who due to the pandemic have already been through enough!
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
Couldn’t agree more. No doubt they will push the deadline back until May as well. It’s really bad form.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
And as you say, imagine if you ran a business like this. Shocking.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
Also, if the admissions team can’t cope - well, hire some more staff (obviously)! Work evenings and weekends like other admissions teams do.

The communication is so cursory too. This is supposed to be a world class institution. Maybe they should fund some research into the social and psychological impact on young people brought about by their own admissions process?
scottishpenguin
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by disgruntledmum)
I'm a parent of a child who applied for Economics BSC back in October. I understand that this year, like last, brings challenges for the admissions team. However, I am astounded at how LSE treats their applicants. Moving their deadline from the end of March to the middle of April was cruel and not acceptable. Particularly in light of the fact that they aren't issuing any offers during the Easter holiday. If I ran my business and treated my clients like you treat yours, I would no longer have any clients left.
You are in fact a business and the students are your clients, they all have to pay fees to attend your university.
With a son at University already, I am amazed at how little students get for their £9000 plus per year.
If admissions staff are under pressure this year then they should perhaps up their game, just like they expect their students to do.
Your lack of thought for the mental health of your applicants is really awful. You are the last place I would want my child to attend. You, by your actions have created a toxic and stressful environment.
I would imagine if your admissions team cannot cope, then how do the rest of your departments perform?
If an offer appears, I will do everything in my power to persuade my child to not attend your university. I am currently trying to convince them to withdraw, so that they can firm one of the 4 other offers from Universities who clearly meet their responsibilities to the mental health of their students.
Admissions - have a thought for what you are doing to students who due to the pandemic have already been through enough!
yes, your frustration as a parent is totally understandable and I have been finding their response a wee bit irritating as an applicant (for BSc economics). However, I do appreciate they are trying to consider all applications equally and fairly, I would imagine it is particularly challenging when they have 26,000 applicants (whether they anticipated the increase or not) most of which without having to sit proper exams in summer.
Here is something, I was flabbergasted when I got rejected from UCL despite having 4 A* predicted grades, decent personal statement and references. Actually those with offers from Oxbridge got rejected from UCL which everyone found odd. There have been lots of speculations going around including the one that UCL may have given too many offers in the earlier cycle and left with no more place which led to mass rejection earlier this month. If that was the case and my application wasn't properly assessed, I would be furious. Every applicant should be given the same chance and their application should be evaluated equitably. In that sense I do not see any problem with what LSE have been and are still doing.
Yes, it is extremely stressful and I totally get that as I am under so much stress currently. But we just have to wait patiently. and as I mentioned, if this delay is due to their effort to maintain fairness, I would wait as long as they need, I would be much more grateful than uni failing to keep equality trying to rush thorough the admission cycle.
I don't really know what the life is like in LSE and you probably know more than I do, however, it is your child's choice. let him/her do whatever he/she wants, It is not your life but your child's who is more than capable of making the right decision. this is just a wee message from a teenager whose mother can be really annoying when she tries to take control over her son's life
Anyway, I have everything crossed for your son
disgruntledmum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by scottishpenguin)
yes, your frustration as a parent is totally understandable and I have been finding their response a wee bit irritating as an applicant (for BSc economics). However, I do appreciate they are trying to consider all applications equally and fairly, I would imagine it is particularly challenging when they have 26,000 applicants (whether they anticipated the increase or not) most of which without having to sit proper exams in summer.
Here is something, I was flabbergasted when I got rejected from UCL despite having 4 A* predicted grades, decent personal statement and references. Actually those with offers from Oxbridge got rejected from UCL which everyone found odd. There have been lots of speculations going around including the one that UCL may have given too many offers in the earlier cycle and left with no more place which led to mass rejection earlier this month. If that was the case and my application wasn't properly assessed, I would be furious. Every applicant should be given the same chance and their application should be evaluated equitably. In that sense I do not see any problem with what LSE have been and are still doing.
Yes, it is extremely stressful and I totally get that as I am under so much stress currently. But we just have to wait patiently. and as I mentioned, if this delay is due to their effort to maintain fairness, I would wait as long as they need, I would be much more grateful than uni failing to keep equality trying to rush thorough the admission cycle.
I don't really know what the life is like in LSE and you probably know more than I do, however, it is your child's choice. let him/her do whatever he/she wants, It is not your life but your child's who is more than capable of making the right decision. this is just a wee message from a teenager whose mother can be really annoying when she tries to take control over her son's life
Anyway, I have everything crossed for your son
I agree with most of what you say. However I cannot stand people who change goalposts. They promised end of March and that should have been achievable.
As you say my child is perfectly capable of making their own decision. I am paying for it though and begrudge handing over vast sums to an institution who hasn't shown to me that they deserve it.
Parents are indeed very annoying, I am not controlling but concerned and angry on all of your behalf. If they chose LSE then so be it, although I don't think they deserve the application numbers that they seem to get. Self perpetuating supply and demand if you ask me. The harder you make something to attain the more people want it, whether it is worth it, or in fact an "Emperor's new clothes " situation remains to be seen.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
Scottish - I don’t disagree with you and I’m very I’m sorry to hear about your UCL rejection. My son received an offer from them months ago, but I am certain, as you say, that they over-offered in that first cycle to the detriment of outstanding candidates who, in any normal year, would have offers. Like you, he knows people with Oxbridge offers who were rejected from UCL. I’m sure this happens every year, to some extent, but it’s very clear this year that the announcement of exam cancellations has caught UCL off-guard and they’ve had to frantically cut back in their cover ratios. People seem to think the same has happened at Durham too.

However, there is a “rep” on another thread about LSE in here who confirmed that they only work 9-5. Never weekends. Why is this? You see other unis, such as Imperial and Durham, regularly issuing decisions evenings and weekends. No wonder LSE is lagging behind. And now they are not issuing decisions for the week starting 2nd April! Unbelievable.

Also, although there are obviously the big flagship courses with thousands of applicants, there’s are many courses at LSE which only have maybe 200 or 300 or so applicants. What can actually be happening there that it takes 5 or 6 months to make decisions on such courses?

So while I am grateful that they are attempting to be fair to all by waiting until the end of the application cycle, I also believe there is much more they could be doing to speed up their selection to meet their own deadlines in the interest of their own applicants. Yes, these are unprecedented circumstances. But just as schools, hospitals, businesses, and the entire population (notably students)! have had to step up and adapt, why should LSE not be held to the same expectations?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (136)
4.84%
Uncertainty around my education (412)
14.65%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (316)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (395)
14.05%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (127)
4.52%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (171)
6.08%
Loneliness (244)
8.68%
Financial worries (101)
3.59%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (113)
4.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (131)
4.66%
Lack of real life entertainment (151)
5.37%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (247)
8.78%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (268)
9.53%

Watched Threads