Driving on motorways

Watch
a1driver
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I have recently started driving and wondering about motorway lanes. I understand that I should be in left lanes unless I am overtaking. However if I am cruising at the max speed limit, do I need to get back to left lanes? Would I be blocking anyone because no one should be overtaking me because I am already at the max allowed speed?
rthompsonh
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm not qualified to answer this question as I'm still learning, but personally I'd stay in the middle lane until I need to overtake or leave at the next junction.
Edit: Don't take the aforementioned advice! Stay in the left lane unless overtaking.
Last edited by rthompsonh; 2 weeks ago
lilGem
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by a1driver)
I have recently started driving and wondering about motorway lanes. I understand that I should be in left lanes unless I am overtaking. However if I am cruising at the max speed limit, do I need to get back to left lanes? Would I be blocking anyone because no one should be overtaking me because I am already at the max allowed speed?
You should always stay in the left lane unless overtaking.

Cars often go slightly above or below the speed limit so you'll find yourself doing the same. Just ensure when you do overtake you allow plenty of space between cars in the next lane along. You'll find cars overtaking you anyway- but the rule I tend to stick to is unless I'm overtaking I stay in the left lane (unless allowing space for merging or over-taking)
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by rthompsonh)
I'm not qualified to answer this question as I'm still learning, but personally I'd stay in the middle lane until I need to overtake or leave at the next junction.
That's not allowed at all!! It's the worst thing you could do!! If you're in the left hand lane at 70 and no one is in front you stay in the left. If there is someone in the middle lane who is driving slower than you, and who hasn't moved back into the left even though there's nothing stopping him doing so, he is committing an offence.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by rthompsonh)
You should probably find a new instructor. This is not how it works at all.
rthompsonh
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
You should probably find a new instructor. This is not how it works at all.
I've never been on a motorway, nor asked about it, so it's definitely more me than him!
rthompsonh
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
That's not allowed at all!! It's the worst thing you could do!! If you're in the left hand lane at 70 and no one is in front you stay in the left. If there is someone in the middle lane who is driving slower than you, and who hasn't moved back into the left even though there's nothing stopping him doing so, he is committing an offence.
I didn't know it was an offence, thank you for explaining though!
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Unless you are overtaking another vehicle which is close and moving slower you should move back to lane 1. Blocking the middle lane at speed limit provokes frustration and dangerous behaviour
tcameron
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Whilst on a four-five lane motorway, it is best to stay in the 2nd lane to the left. As the left lane often turns into exit junctions, meaning you would need to keep moving towards the right.
Also the left lane is full of 'slow moving' trucks which can block your view and slow you down.
Best to stay in the 2nd to left lane and move to the left when it is coming up to your exit

On a 3 lane motorway, I stay in the middle lane, as the left lane often turns into exit junctions.

I've been driving for 3 years and this has always worked for me
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by tcameron)
Whilst on a four-five lane motorway, it is best to stay in the 2nd lane to the left. As the left lane often turns into exit junctions, meaning you would need to keep moving towards the right.
Also the left lane is full of 'slow moving' trucks which can block your view and slow you down.
Best to stay in the 2nd to left lane and move to the left when it is coming up to your exit

On a 3 lane motorway, I stay in the middle lane, as the left lane often turns into exit junctions.

Middle lane hogger...

(Original post by a1driver)
Would I be blocking anyone because no one should be overtaking me because I am already at the max allowed speed?
Irrelevant. Stay in the left lane unless overtaking. Simple.
tcameron
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Middle lane hogger...

Irrelevant. Stay in the left lane unless overtaking. Simple.
Well the right hand lane is often people speeding and tailgating you if you aren't going at least 80mph and the left lane is people barely touching 70mph.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well the right hand lane is often people speeding and tailgating you if you aren't going at least 80mph and the left lane is people barely touching 70mph.
Irrelevant. Stay left unless overtaking. It's a very simple concept.
Anonymusy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I thought motorways were only for people who had their license and wanted to do a pass plus course not for learners
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymusy)
I thought motorways were only for people who had their license and wanted to do a pass plus course not for learners
Learners have been allowed on the motorway under certain circumstances for about 3 years now.
tcameron
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Irrelevant. Stay left unless overtaking. It's a very simple concept.
It isn't a set rule and you know nobody follows that. That causes more traffic if everyone stayed on the left.
I'm giving actual advice on what occurs on the road, not what an instructor handbook says in an ideal world.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It isn't a set rule and you know nobody follows that. That causes more traffic if everyone stayed on the left.
I'm giving actual advice on what occurs on the road, not what an instructor handbook says in an ideal world.
It is a set rule. 264, Lane Discipline.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high...ays-253-to-273

“You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past.”
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It IS a set rule.

Middle lane hogging is an endorsable offence which can land you with 3 points and a £100 fine.

By hogging the middle lane you're wasting 33% of a standard 3 lane motorway's capacity.

Learn to drive or get off the ****ing road.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...e-lane-hogging
Last edited by IWMTom; 2 weeks ago
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Loool you think people stick to the speed limit on motorways.

Ugh, middle-lane hogger.
Bexjw
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It doesn’t matter if you’re driving 70, 80, 90 or 100, stay left. Do not be the arse that’s sat in the middle lane regardless of traffic or their speed. Even if there’s traffic, move right to overtake and then back left when it’s safe to do so.

Also, yes the speed limit is 70, it doesn’t mean the majority of people stick at 70 though (I may or may not be included in this statement)!
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The trick is to overtake everyone in the left lane in one fluid movement
Last edited by StriderHort; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (174)
42.03%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (62)
14.98%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (170)
41.06%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.93%

Watched Threads