Driving on motorways

Watch
a1driver
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Loool you think people stick to the speed limit on motorways.

Ugh, middle-lane hogger.
How is people not sticking to speed limit my problem?
Anonymusy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Learners have been allowed on the motorway under certain circumstances for about 3 years now.
Really? That's cool. I didn't know that, I haven't had any lessons for over 3 years
virgil1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by a1driver)
You come across as a driver who doesn’t care about other people. The whole point of driving is getting to where you want to go in the most efficient and safest way but you also shouldn’t be in other people way where possible.

Middle lane hogging is illegal - the law was changed a few years ago. Also HGVs were banned from the outside lane on 3+ lane motorways for exactly the same reason. HOGGING LANES SLOWS TRAFFIC FLOW.

Simple - don’t do it.

I also find your username ironic, you either think yourself the perfect driver OR you drive an Audi, a car driven by stereotypically sh1tty drivers which considering the attitude you appear to have would be unsurprising.

On the other hand, this is the internet - I may well have misread the tone of your posts.
virgil1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You come across as a driver who doesn’t care about other people. The whole point of driving is getting to where you want to go in the most efficient and safest way but you also shouldn’t be in other people way where possible.

Middle lane hogging is illegal - the law was changed a few years ago. Also HGVs were banned from the outside lane on 3+ lane motorways for exactly the same reason. HOGGING LANES SLOWS TRAFFIC FLOW.

Simple - don’t do it.

I also find your username ironic, you either think yourself the perfect driver OR you drive an Audi, a car driven by stereotypically sh1tty selfish drivers which considering the attitude you appear to have would be unsurprising.

On the other hand, this is the internet - I may well have misread the tone of your posts.
a1driver
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by virgil1)

Simple - don’t do it.

I also find your username ironic, you either think yourself the perfect driver OR you drive an Audi, a car driven by stereotypically sh1tty selfish drivers which considering the attitude you appear to have would be unsurprising.

The middle lane driving comment is by someone else, not me. I am just trying to understand the technicality of the rules in a precise way. My username is my ambition, also the reason why I want to precisely understand.

Your point about not being someone else's way - this is what i am asking - how would i be in anyone's way if I am already driving at the max allowed speed? Of course there is no ambulance or police or any other emergency service behind me. Ideally, if i am driving at max speed, the driver behind me is at max speed, he would never overtake me. If he is overspending, it shouldn't be my concern. You see my point?
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The middle lane driving comment is by someone else, not me. I am just trying to understand the technicality of the rules in a precise way. My username is my ambition, also the reason why I want to precisely understand.

Your point about not being someone else's way - this is what i am asking - how would i be in anyone's way if I am already driving at the max allowed speed? Of course there is no ambulance or police or any other emergency service behind me. Ideally, if i am driving at max speed, the driver behind me is at max speed, he would never overtake me. If he is overspending, it shouldn't be my concern. You see my point?
That's not how driving works. Just because you think you're at the maximum speed doesn't mean people aren't going to overtake you. You're still an obstruction.
tcameron
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
It is a set rule. 264, Lane Discipline.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high...ays-253-to-273

“You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past.”
Which nobody follows............
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by tcameron)
...and yet you're outnumbered on this thread.

What exactly is your definition of "nobody"...?
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
99.9% of people I encounter on motorways follow it and those that don’t stand out like a sore thumb.

I would wager that everyone in this thread who disagrees with you follows it to a greater or lesser extent, (ie. only what size gap they would wait for before moving back into lane 1).

At this point I think you are just looking to justify some shoddy driving because you’ve moved from “this isn’t a rule” to “well yes it is a rule but no one follows it anyway”.

It’s not your job to provide a rolling roadblock in lane 2 or 3 under the justification that you are not committing an offence as anyone overtaking you would be speeding.
Katrine Lopez
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How about me who doesn't know anything about driving and motor way? am I gonna be left out?
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

It's a motorway. It isn't a race track. If it were a race track you could hog the road and make it difficult for the car behind you to overtake.

Because it's the motorway - for your own safety - you should aim to drive defensively. This means driving in a way that other driver's mistakes or terrible driving habits don't end up in you getting involved in a collision as well.

Plus your speedo may not be accurate. You may think you're going at 70 when you are doing 65 instead.

So in the case of you hogging the middle or outside lane, someone may be driving at the speed limit an you may be blocking him.

Or even if he is speeding it's bad driving on your part to hold him up. It's very common for tailgating to happen on motorways.

For the safest driving on motorways you should aim to always have a 2D image of the traffic around you. What's in front, to the side and behind you. And you should aim to have the biggest buffer of space that you can have at all times.

This practise will save your life one day.

There's usually a compromise between weaving between lanes too much and sitting in a lane for too long. If you would only be in the left hand lane for about 10 seconds before having to move out again, it's probably not worth moving over.
TheDE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The police follow it, and 98% of other road users. When you are doing something illegal it is easy to justify it by pointing out the people that do the same, but I’m sure you have enough brain cells in there to realise that it isn’t right or legal just because other people are doing it? Is it therefore ok to drink & drive because someone did it and got away with it? Is it ok to commit any offence, road or otherwise with the simple justification of ‘nobody follows the rules’.

Might I suggest to improve your views, and ambitions as this seems so important to you, don’t surround yourself with people that break the law, even with menial things. The last thing you want to do is screw it up.

It is stupid to use other people breaking laws to justify you doing it. The people that do offend are stupid.

Just for reference;
https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/1030...-lane-hogging/
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/d...-lane-hogging/
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...e-lane-hogging
https://www.ageas.co.uk/solved/road-...-of-the-risks/
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...fine-car-video
https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/...llegal-1590200
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (187)
5.02%
Uncertainty around my education (545)
14.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (417)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (513)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (184)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
5.95%
Loneliness (313)
8.4%
Financial worries (138)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (212)
5.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (333)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (351)
9.42%

Watched Threads