The Student Room Group

Islam and moving away for uni

So i am planning on moving away for uni and my first initial choice was bristol uni as it isnt to far from home and i like the city and uni ( has a big muslim somali community) i am a muslim girl and im planning on trying to get a studio accom ( easier to practice my religion eat halal and feel comfortable)there but i have looked at almost everyone and they are all so expensive £200 a week i dont thin maintenance will cover all that i have looked at my other choices like birmigham and leicester they are alot cheaper what do i do and does anyone know cheap studios in bristol that are good and safe thank youu
I'm in the same boat regarding being Muslim and wanting to go Bristol. I haven't got an offer yet I'm still on hold btw. Maybe because I am a guy I'm okay living with people who are not Muslims. Also Bristol is very expensive and I'll take what I can get. I think second year I may try rent a house with other muslim people since there's no way I can afford a studio. This web page may help you http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/undergraduate/choosing/
Original post by hijabarbii
So i am planning on moving away for uni and my first initial choice was bristol uni as it isnt to far from home and i like the city and uni ( has a big muslim somali community) i am a muslim girl and im planning on trying to get a studio accom ( easier to practice my religion eat halal and feel comfortable)there but i have looked at almost everyone and they are all so expensive £200 a week i dont thin maintenance will cover all that i have looked at my other choices like birmigham and leicester they are alot cheaper what do i do and does anyone know cheap studios in bristol that are good and safe thank youu

Try coventry uni or birmingham uni and live in birmingham there is a large muslim community. small heath & sparkhill is a heavily populated somalian area. coventry uni is just one train away. try moving into family or relatives house and apply to a uni near their house. Or try a cheap area but near a train station e.g. maximum 30mins walk to train station so you can travel by train to whichever uni and see train pass how much it costs. or move out with a cousin or family memeber and they split rent with you. some unis have uni accommodation. dont know if leicester have a uni must do not far from birmingham. pr try worcester
I'm in the same boat regarding being Muslim and wanting to go Bristol. I haven't got an offer yet I'm still on hold btw. Maybe because I am a guy I'm okay living with people who are not Muslims. Also Bristol is very expensive and I'll take what I can get. I think second year I may try rent a house with other muslim people since there's no way I can afford a studio. This web page may help you type in bristol accommodation preferences into google is should be the first link. (I posted the same message an hour ago but I used a link so it has to be reviewed for some reason)
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in the same boat regarding being Muslim and wanting to go Bristol. I haven't got an offer yet I'm still on hold btw. Maybe because I am a guy I'm okay living with people who are not Muslims. Also Bristol is very expensive and I'll take what I can get. I think second year I may try rent a house with other muslim people since there's no way I can afford a studio. This web page may help you type in bristol accommodation preferences into google is should be the first link. (I posted the same message an hour ago but I used a link so it has to be reviewed for some reason)

how about accomodation at uni. i think they called uni halls or somethings
Original post by Shak2020
how about accomodation at uni. i think they called uni halls or somethings

tbh I am just looking for the cheapest option. I saw some halls accommodation I wouldn't mind being there but the uni has a few houses for relatively good rents. The one I have looked like has 8 people. As long as I have my own room I am good.
tbh I am just looking for the cheapest option. I saw some halls accommodation I wouldn't mind being there but the uni has a few houses for relatively good rents. The one I have looked like has 8 people. As long as I have my own room I am good.

if you want your own place e.g. own room and own kitchen and own toilet youll be looking at 500per month but thats just one room. exoensive as hell. in birmingham you can rent a whole house for 600 per month
Try job centre they can help with accomodation theyllhelp find you one even if you not on job centre give them a call
try gloucester uni

Contact the university accommodation team. Many will put Muslim students in a flat together if they request it.
Reply 11
Are you relying exclusively on maintenance loan to get by?
Reply 12
Original post by Sinnoh
Are you relying exclusively on maintenance loan to get by?

i plan on taking what i can get but im also saving and plan on getting a part time job during uni and in the summers maybe... im not too sure but thats one way i could do it
Reply 13

inshallah you get your offer im still trying to figure out why it is really expensive but yeah i was thinking for the second year it would be easier to share with muslim people i have met there maybe or i have a family member who also is planning on going there in my second year so that is a possibility and if not then i might just have to take up birmingham or coventry and i have used the link before but my mind is really set on a studio and they are all expensive thank you though
Reply 14
Original post by Sandtrooper
Contact the university accommodation team. Many will put Muslim students in a flat together if they request it.

i will try doing that thank youu
Same here, I’m a Muslim girl but am thinking of going into halls and stating alcohol free and single sex then getting a house with friends next year but not too sure
yhh

Don't go into uni halls, it's just creaking beds, sexual moaning and the smell of alcohol night after night. Studio is definitely better, Leicester is probably the cheapest of the ones you've said

Anybody else confused with freshers being full of parties and stuff? 😬

Quick Reply

Latest