The Student Room Group

Languages or law degree?

Hi I'm in year 12 and im starting to think of what I'd like to study at uni. I rlly love languages and study spanish a level but im also interested in pursuing a career in law and have thus greatly considered doing a law degree. I would like advice on which one is better for career prospects and whether theres any point pursuing a languages degree especially as I'd like a career in law?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The only argument I have against a languages degree is that you can teach yourself much of it. From that perspective, studying law seems the obvious choice.
Reply 2
Original post by Evidza
The only argument I have against a languages degree is that you can teach yourself much of it. From that perspective, studying law seems the obvious choice.

Yeah that is true tbf thank you:smile:
I;d say law bcos you can always take up linguistics anytime, but tht's just my opinion. You do wht you think is best for you!
Reply 5

Original post by MelancholicHaze
Bristol offers law and spanish as a 4 year degree. LLB Law and Spanish (MR13). I think other unis also have a language and law course.

Yeah tbf I had considered combining the 2 but idk if it would be less beneficial than doing a straight law degree or a modern languages degree but ty anyways

Original post by HS_1
I;d say law bcos you can always take up linguistics anytime, but tht's just my opinion. You do wht you think is best for you!

Yeah that's true, I guess I'll just have to think more about it lol
No difference - as you're in year 12 right now to get into a career in law youll have to take the SQE to qualify, which is an exam anyone from any degree discipline can take. From 2024 there's no advantage in having done a law degree like there is right now (if you graduated right now you'd have to do an extra year of studying if you took languages for degree).

I took Spanish and Frenh at A Level and now have a TC offer at a international law firm. I personally think my language skills were a huge factor in getting it, even though I am a law student right now. Less people can speak things like Spanish than you think so it can make you really stand out!
Original post by Evidza

Original post by HS_1

I understand where these posts are coming from, but I disagree with both of them. Whilst it's true that you can technically self teach a language and can pick that up at any time, in practice that is extremely difficult to do. Why? Because learning a language to a high level requires consistent exposure to and immersion in that language, and that is very hard to make time for when you're either studying a different subject or, later on, working a full time job. By contrast, a languages degree offers a structured way to consistently advance in a language to a high level, including not only a range of teaching methods, but things such as years abroad. That gives a significant advantage when it comes to learning a language. There will of course be those who have self taught a language whilst working, or who have done distance learning language courses with success, but those people are rare and vastly outnumbered by the people who have always been interested in learning a language but have never found the time to do it.

By contrast, there is no benefit at all to a law degree. Converting to law is straightforward, and in practice the three years spent studying law in a degree will provide little to no direct benefit when you're practising as a lawyer. That's because practising law and studying law are two very different things, and in reality you will learn the specific law that you need in practice as you go along. As I say, you'll use very little if any of what you learn on a degree. About half of all solicitors and barristers studied a non law degree and then converted to law. My advice, unless there are other reasons why you don't want to or can't spend the extra time converting to law, is to do a non law degree if you have a specific interest in another subject, because in practice it's probably the last chance you'll get to study something else in depth if you go on to be a lawyer. When it comes to languages I would reinforce that advice. It really is a wonderful thing to be able to speak a second or third language, and to my mind if you're interested in doing that you need to make that your priority and aim for a languages degree. There'll be plenty of time for law after that.
Original post by H4ttie03
Hi I'm in year 12 and im starting to think of what I'd like to study at uni. I rlly love languages and study spanish a level but im also interested in pursuing a career in law and have thus greatly considered doing a law degree. I would like advice on which one is better for career prospects and whether theres any point pursuing a languages degree especially as I'd like a career in law?

Either will support you in a legal career - languages is a bonus as you can do the GDL conversion or the SQE.

Pick whichever will get you the best grade.
Reply 9
Original post by kp07l
No difference - as you're in year 12 right now to get into a career in law youll have to take the SQE to qualify, which is an exam anyone from any degree discipline can take. From 2024 there's no advantage in having done a law degree like there is right now (if you graduated right now you'd have to do an extra year of studying if you took languages for degree).

I took Spanish and Frenh at A Level and now have a TC offer at a international law firm. I personally think my language skills were a huge factor in getting it, even though I am a law student right now. Less people can speak things like Spanish than you think so it can make you really stand out!

Thank you so much for clarifying things, yeah when I graduate I'll have to end up doing the SQE so a law degree isnt necessary anymore. Wow that's so interesting congrats on your TC, just wondering did you enjoy your law degree or do u wish youd studied smth else?
Reply 10
Original post by Crazy Jamie
I understand where these posts are coming from, but I disagree with both of them. Whilst it's true that you can technically self teach a language and can pick that up at any time, in practice that is extremely difficult to do. Why? Because learning a language to a high level requires consistent exposure to and immersion in that language, and that is very hard to make time for when you're either studying a different subject or, later on, working a full time job. By contrast, a languages degree offers a structured way to consistently advance in a language to a high level, including not only a range of teaching methods, but things such as years abroad. That gives a significant advantage when it comes to learning a language. There will of course be those who have self taught a language whilst working, or who have done distance learning language courses with success, but those people are rare and vastly outnumbered by the people who have always been interested in learning a language but have never found the time to do it.

By contrast, there is no benefit at all to a law degree. Converting to law is straightforward, and in practice the three years spent studying law in a degree will provide little to no direct benefit when you're practising as a lawyer. That's because practising law and studying law are two very different things, and in reality you will learn the specific law that you need in practice as you go along. As I say, you'll use very little if any of what you learn on a degree. About half of all solicitors and barristers studied a non law degree and then converted to law. My advice, unless there are other reasons why you don't want to or can't spend the extra time converting to law, is to do a non law degree if you have a specific interest in another subject, because in practice it's probably the last chance you'll get to study something else in depth if you go on to be a lawyer. When it comes to languages I would reinforce that advice. It really is a wonderful thing to be able to speak a second or third language, and to my mind if you're interested in doing that you need to make that your priority and aim for a languages degree. There'll be plenty of time for law after that.

Thank you so much for this indepth reply, I agree with everything you've said here too and especially now that theres no need to do a law degree with the SQE coming into place, I think I might consider doing a languages or maybe even a geography degree instead then if I still want to, complete the SQE after I graduate
Reply 11
Original post by Peony123
Either will support you in a legal career - languages is a bonus as you can do the GDL conversion or the SQE.

Pick whichever will get you the best grade.

Yeah that's v true, when I graduate the SQE will be in place so there will be no need to have studied a law degree for undergrad
Yeah that's v true, when I graduate the SQE will be in place so there will be no need to have studied a law degree for undergrad

And if you did decide to be a barrister loads of people do the GDL. So just pick whatever you like the best as you’ll enjoy it more and get better grades. I did a LLB :smile:
Reply 13
And if you did decide to be a barrister loads of people do the GDL. So just pick whatever you like the best as you’ll enjoy it more and get better grades. I did a LLB :smile:

Ah yeah that's understandable. Ah cool, did you enjoy doing the LLB?

Go for a law
Reply 15
Original post by Ibiserov
Go for a law

How come?
Ah yeah that's understandable. Ah cool, did you enjoy doing the LLB?

I did, just make sure you are organised from day one as it’s loads of reading! :smile:
Reply 17
I did, just make sure you are organised from day one as it’s loads of reading! :smile:

Lol yeah I've heard that theres so much reading in a law degree but that's good to hear you enjoyed it, I'm still considering it anyway and I have got some virtual law work experience in the easter holidays and for a part of it they're gonna discuss the different routes into the career so I'm hoping that'll help me decide whether i want to pursue an LLB or smth else
Lol yeah I've heard that theres so much reading in a law degree but that's good to hear you enjoyed it, I'm still considering it anyway and I have got some virtual law work experience in the easter holidays and for a part of it they're gonna discuss the different routes into the career so I'm hoping that'll help me decide whether i want to pursue an LLB or smth else

Keep your options open - I would also look at inner temple inn as they do information evenings for pre-uni students
Keep your options open - I would also look at inner temple inn as they do information evenings for pre-uni students

Feel free to message me if you have any questions - I will try to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending