jbee199
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So I’m currently in my 2nd year of a L3 BTEC in engineering, decided I don’t want to go to uni because I’d prefer to find my feet in a job in engineering and gain experience that way. I’m just wondering how hard is it to just land yourself a job with only a level 3 and no work experience? I’ve looked at doing a level 4 apprenticeship but there really isn’t a lot of choice as they’re so difficult to come by without travelling crazy far, so I feel like going into work is my only option.
48Percent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
With very few exceptions, Apprenticeships are tailored towards people with little or no experience within the field. Apprenticeships are designed to be the way you get your foot through the door and get the experience and or qualifications you require for the sector.

With that in mind, I would encourage you to simply apply rather than being put off by how they may or may not be difficult to acquire.
19lewiss
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jbee199)
So I’m currently in my 2nd year of a L3 BTEC in engineering, decided I don’t want to go to uni because I’d prefer to find my feet in a job in engineering and gain experience that way. I’m just wondering how hard is it to just land yourself a job with only a level 3 and no work experience? I’ve looked at doing a level 4 apprenticeship but there really isn’t a lot of choice as they’re so difficult to come by without travelling crazy far, so I feel like going into work is my only option.
I think it will be hard to go straight into an engineering role after college. I was in a similar position to you after finishing my A-levels. I struggled to find employers that would accept someone with no industry experience. I began applying for higher/ degree apprenticeships at a number of companies (EY, KPMG, NHS, SKY, BAE, Lloyds, Unilever, 02 etc.) and eventually landed a role. I think apprenticeships are a great way to begin your career in a specific industry.

I've noticed a reduction in apprenticeship vacancies over the last couple of years forcing a number of applicants to relocate when successful. This has made the application process even more competitive, I was told that some employers had 500 - 1000 applicants for a single position which is crazy!

I would definitely encourage you to apply for apprenticeships. I think they're a great way to start your career. Showing enthusiasm and interest for the role is appreciated more by apprenticeship employers.

The alternative would be to look for other entry level roles that allow you the opportunity to progress and develop your skillset. I think both of these are hard to come by so the sooner you start the better.

Hope this helps and best of luck!!

Steven
48Percent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 19lewiss)
I've noticed a reduction in apprenticeship vacancies over the last couple of years forcing a number of applicants to relocate when successful. This has made the application process even more competitive, I was told that some employers had 500 - 1000 applicants for a single position which is crazy!
You'll be gladdened to know that there has been a massive increase in vacancies over the last couple of years, especially with the '2020 vision' campaign performing so well- and now with the relaunch of the second phase of Employer Incentives for hiring new apprentices.

Apprenticeships are one of the key steps in the UK's roadmap to rebuilding the country post-covid19.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (88)
42.72%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (33)
16.02%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (82)
39.81%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (3)
1.46%

Watched Threads