_np02_
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I came across the question

“Inland seismic activity poses a great threat to people than offshore seismic activity” to what extend do you agree?

What does the question mean by onland vs offshore activity? Is it a comparison of a tsunami and earthquake or is it a comparison between an island country and a continent country as the wording is quite difficult?
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _np02_)
I came across the question

“Inland seismic activity poses a great threat to people than offshore seismic activity” to what extend do you agree?

What does the question mean by onland vs offshore activity? Is it a comparison of a tsunami and earthquake or is it a comparison between an island country and a continent country as the wording is quite difficult?
This question is referring to seismic and tectonic activity, (so tectonic plate movement, fracturing and rupturing, pressure release etc) occurring on a continental land mass or in the ocean. I assume this question wants you to broadly talk about the location of population centres and how an earthquake or seismic rupture occurring in the open ocean or at a mid-ridge trench is unlikely to impact human population centres rather than an earthquake occurring inland (eg Sichuan earthquake, China). However, this isn’t always true as offshore earthquakes cause tsunamis which can devastate the densely populated urban areas of East and South East Asia (Boxing day tsunami, Japan 2011 earthquake and tsunami) so the question seems a bit misguided to me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What uni admissions terms did you/do you find confusing?

Adjustment (112)
14.14%
AAM (Additional Assessment Materials) (85)
10.73%
Changed course offer (35)
4.42%
Clearing (57)
7.2%
Conditional offer (11)
1.39%
Deferral (33)
4.17%
Ucas Extra (92)
11.62%
First Generation or First in Family (25)
3.16%
Point of Entry (55)
6.94%
Self-release (115)
14.52%
Tariff Point (64)
8.08%
Unconditional offer (11)
1.39%
Withdrawal (23)
2.9%
I understood all of the language used in the application process (68)
8.59%
I found another term confusing (let us know in the thread!) (6)
0.76%

Watched Threads