Myanmar: At least 50 protesters killed, topping 300+ since coup

Watch
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
At least 50 protesters killed in Myanmar on 'day of shame for armed forces' | Reuters

(Reuters) -Myanmar’s security forces shot and killed at least 50 protesters on Saturday, news reports and witnesses said, a brutal crackdown on dissent that came as the leader of the ruling junta said the military will protect the people and strive for democracy.

---

Meanwhile, the junta holds a military parade with representatives from Russia, China, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Laos and Thailand.

Myanmar junta holds military parade with Russian attendance - Nikkei Asia
Ascend
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Update: Over 100 killed today.

Myanmar forces kill over 100 in deadliest day since coup

StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Horrific but I feel beyond shock, I'm only surprised it's not my street yet.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It seems theyve realised theyve gone past the point of being able to 'get away' with their quasi-coup and present it as a fait acompli and are now more than happy to go all out and drag Burma back to the dark days before the reforms came in. A true shame for the people there who deserve better than being enslaved by these kleptrocratic drug runners and, now, mass murderers.
Just my opinion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Children amongst the slaughtered.😕
Ascend
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Like many young people in the country, she sees her future being ripped away. Successive military regimes ruled Myanmar through brute force and fear for half a century between 1962 and 2011, plunging the Southeast Asian nation into poverty and isolationism. In 2011, the military gave up direct rule and embarked on a series of reforms that allowed for parliamentary elections.

"We don't want to go back to the dark age. We lost our voice and had democracy only for 10 years. We don't have weapons, we don't have guns. Just only we have voice," the young woman said.

Myanmar's military has underestimated the strength, will and bravery of its own people

In the past two months, junta security forces -- made up of police, soldiers and elite counter-insurgency troops -- have embarked on a systematic and coordinated crackdown against unarmed and peaceful protesters. More than 600 people have been killed, according to the advocacy group Assistance Association for Political Prisoners.
Yet still, as we drove through Myanmar's largest city, we could hear the banging of pots and pans in the distance. An ancient tradition to ward off evil spirits, it has become the signature sound of the resistance. On social media, we were inundated with messages from Myanmar citizens who knew we were there. "We know you can't see us," they wrote, "but we hope you can hear us."
But minutes later, others approached us, this time flashing three fingers -- despite the fact we were surrounded by security forces and in a military area. Many of them were shaking with fear at the boldness of what they were doing. They knew there would be a price to pay and yet they felt the risk was worth it.

"This is something I am doing for my country," one woman said.

At another market, it was a similar scene. We stood back and avoided approaching people, mindful of the fact we were surrounded by security forces. But despite the risks, some wanted their voices heard.

"We want democracy. We don't want military coup," another young woman said. When told we were surrounded by military, she said, "I am not afraid."

Medical students hold up the three finger salute at the Yangon funeral of Khant Nyar Hein on March 16. The first-year medical student was fatally shot during the crackdown.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (145)
4.88%
Uncertainty around my education (438)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (334)
11.23%
Lack of purpose or motivation (414)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (139)
4.68%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (180)
6.05%
Loneliness (255)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (121)
4.07%
Exposure to negative news/social media (135)
4.54%
Lack of real life entertainment (161)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (261)
8.78%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (281)
9.45%

Watched Threads