The Student Room Group

Which universities are known for their radiotherapy and oncology course?

Hey there!! I'm an international student with an interest in becoming a therapeutic radiographer. I do understand at the end of the day , the uni one attend may not matter too much, more so on one's own effort to make the most out of the resources they have, but i would like to listen to any radiotherapy student's experience in your respective uni and how you're finding it.
Reply 1
Original post by tinymilkyway
Hey there!! I'm an international student with an interest in becoming a therapeutic radiographer. I do understand at the end of the day , the uni one attend may not matter too much, more so on one's own effort to make the most out of the resources they have, but i would like to listen to any radiotherapy student's experience in your respective uni and how you're finding it.

I don't understand
Hi @gbemigar, well basically I would like to know which universities are known for their radiotherapy undergraduate course. I am also really keen to listen to anyone who is currently studying or had studied radiotherapy and how they had find their experience to be in their respective universities.
There are only 8 universities in England that offer RONC, 5 in London and the South East, then Birmingham, Liverpool and Sheffield Hallam Universities for the rest of the country. I'm at SHU and it has the largest course size, 60-70 students per year which provides about 30% of the annual graduates which gives you an idea of how small the rest of the courses are.

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/career-planning/course-finder?field_leading_to_a_career_in_tid=203&field_region_tid=2&field_qualification_type_tid=64&field_study_mode_tid=57&items_per_page=25

It's a small profession and very few students will have studied at more than one university, though many will have been on open days at different unis.

Different unis have different facilities etc which you can research online on their course pages and virtual open days. One thing to consider is not only where you want to live, but where you want to be placed. At SHU you will spend almost the entire 3 years at one placement site, but that could be anywhere from Derby or Nottingham in the midlands, all the way up to Middlesboro or Newcastle in the north.
Reply 4
Original post by HellomynameisNev
There are only 8 universities in England that offer RONC, 5 in London and the South East, then Birmingham, Liverpool and Sheffield Hallam Universities for the rest of the country. I'm at SHU and it has the largest course size, 60-70 students per year which provides about 30% of the annual graduates which gives you an idea of how small the rest of the courses are.

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/career-planning/course-finder?field_leading_to_a_career_in_tid=203&field_region_tid=2&field_qualification_type_tid=64&field_study_mode_tid=57&items_per_page=25

It's a small profession and very few students will have studied at more than one university, though many will have been on open days at different unis.

Different unis have different facilities etc which you can research online on their course pages and virtual open days. One thing to consider is not only where you want to live, but where you want to be placed. At SHU you will spend almost the entire 3 years at one placement site, but that could be anywhere from Derby or Nottingham in the midlands, all the way up to Middlesboro or Newcastle in the north.

Are the other courses being small an advantage and can you choose where you do the placement ?
Original post by Leemx
Are the other courses being small an advantage and can you choose where you do the placement ?

Hard to say regarding size - you might be better known by your lecturers in a smaller cohort, but that might be a problem if you'd hate that, so hard to say. Easier to blend into the background with a large group if that's what you prefer. But the support we've gotten at SHU this year has been really good, they're usually really quick to answer and emails or messages and there are other benefits from being on the largest course in the country.

Regarding placement, yes you can choose at SHU, but 90% of students put Sheffield or Leeds as their 1st choice and there's only a limited number of places there and they are generally go to students who are parents/carers or international students. If you put anywhere other than Sheffield or Leeds you will probably get it.
Reply 6
Hard to say regarding size - you might be better known by your lecturers in a smaller cohort, but that might be a problem if you'd hate that, so hard to say. Easier to blend into the background with a large group if that's what you prefer. But the support we've gotten at SHU this year has been really good, they're usually really quick to answer and emails or messages and there are other benefits from being on the largest course in the country.

Regarding placement, yes you can choose at SHU, but 90% of students put Sheffield or Leeds as their 1st choice and there's only a limited number of places there and they are generally go to students who are parents/carers or international students. If you put anywhere other than Sheffield or Leeds you will probably get it.

Thank you! Are Wakefield ,Dewsbury,Pontefract etc. included in these ?
Original post by Leemx
Thank you! Are Wakefield ,Dewsbury,Pontefract etc. included in these ?

No, not every hospital has a radiotherapy department. The hospitals that SHU places at are (North to South)

Newcastle
Middlesboro
Hull
Leeds
Sheffield
Lincoln
Nottingham
Derby
Leicester

Some sites have student accommodation, some students commute (me), some stay in AirBNB, some students club together to rent a house for their placements. You can claim back your costs for accommodation & travel when on placement.
Reply 8

Hello, I am considering accepting my offer for this course however I have a few questions. I will be commuting from Manchester so how many days will I have to be in university first year, second year, third year? How many days is placement? Would sheffield put my clinical placement site as Manchester if I’m from here as I know the Christie is the only hospital that do radiotherapy. Would you say it’s a niche field and would this degree qualify to become a general radiographer?
Original post by SA398
Hello, I am considering accepting my offer for this course however I have a few questions. I will be commuting from Manchester so how many days will I have to be in university first year, second year, third year? How many days is placement? Would sheffield put my clinical placement site as Manchester if I’m from here as I know the Christie is the only hospital that do radiotherapy. Would you say it’s a niche field and would this degree qualify to become a general radiographer?

- As you go through the course, you spend less and less time at uni, and more and more time on placement. First year, from September to Easter was solid uni apart from a 3 week placement in January. I'm on my 2nd 3 week placement now, then I've got 4 weeks holiday then a 9 week placement to finish off the 1st year. Whereas final year, you finish your lectures at the end of October and are then on placement pretty much solid till May. Note that even when you're on placement you still have to do assignments, case studies etc

- Placement is 4 days a week, with one day a week study day

- Manchester is not one of the clinical placement sites for SHU (see my earlier post for the full list). I believe Liverpool is the parent uni for placement at Manchester, but I don't know how their placements work.

- Yes, I would class Radiotherapy as niche - there are only ~2500 Therapeutic Radiographers in the entire country. For comparison there are 330,000 nurses. However it is also one of four professions that the NHS officially class as "at risk" due to difficulties in recruitment (because no-one knows about it!). But just because its niche, doesn't mean that there are no opportunities.

- If by general radiographer you mean a diagnostic radiographer, then no. That is a separate job role requiring a separate degree. You do learn how to do CT in Radiotherapy as it is used for the planning scans, and I have heard of some Therapeutic Radiographers who have got jobs as sonographers, as that is not currently classed as a protected job role (bit of a hot topic with the Society of Radiographers)
Original post by tinymilkyway

Hi @tinymilkyway,

At the University of Liverpool we have a 100% graduate employment rate for Therapeutic Radiography BSc (Hons) ranking 3rd for Occupation Therapy in the Complete University Guide 2020.

Our curriculum is developed and assessed by leading healthcare providers throughout the North West. Many such partners across the North West provide exciting placement opportunities.

I am not a current radiotherapy student but i would encourage you to follow this link so you can ask a current radiotherapy student any questions that you might have : https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/chat/

I hope this helps!

Antonia :h:
University of Liverpool - Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest